How many products, shops, merchants are you using?
    I've been going a bit berserk with my PopShops testing this month, and I just saw that in my several hundred "shops," I now have about 7,000 products from about 225 merchants (mostly from ShareASale, plus a few from LinkConnector and RedGaloshes).

Wow, I think you're the King of Popshops!

I have 171 shops with 4038 products using 34 merchants from 4 different networks on 5 different websites.

How many websites do you run with all those shops? (replacing inactive products must keep you busy every day)

Action Jackson - King of the World
    joyaz:

Just set your settings to replace products automatically when they go out of stock

I was just investigating popshops for the first time. Looks nice.

But would I really need to have hundreds of shops to turn a decent profit? Or are you guys just really greedy?

Can you give me some idea of how much work is involved versus what sort of profits can be expected? I don't mind ballpark figures. Also, is the popshop thing your biggest source of revenue?

And the one or two questions bugging me most - doesn't being in one shop, clicking a product, then suddenly winding up in another shop discourage users from buying? Doesn't the lack of shopping cart on your shop sort of make things iffy since it means people can't buy more than one product at a time without extensive navigation? When *I* shop I tend to buy more than one product at a time...cuz I'm greedy too.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Most of your questions don't have anything to do with Popshops.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_C

But would I really need to have hundreds of shops to turn a decent profit? Or are you guys just really greedy?
    If being about to pay your bills and save a little to not rent in my old age and possibly retire one day, then yes, we're all greedy. I'm so greedy that I'd like to be able to buy new clothes and upgrade my computer once in a while.

Can you give me some idea of how much work is involved versus what sort of profits can be expected? I don't mind ballpark figures. Also, is the popshop thing your biggest source of revenue?
    That depends.... We're tired of questions of how much you'll make. That depends on you and has nothing to do with Popshops. nothing at all.

And the one or two questions bugging me most - doesn't being in one shop, clicking a product, then suddenly winding up in another shop discourage users from buying?
    Welcome to affiliate marketing. I suggest you use the SEARCH button. All your questions have already been answered before.

Dear Mr C,

If you run multiple websites, large numbers of shops are to be expected. When I break down the number of Popshops I have by site, it's not that many really...

32 at one site
    75 at another fashion-related
    60 at another in gifts
    + a couple miscellaneous more

I will say this - I've seen a definite increase in sales since I've been using Popshops, which is about 3 months. As for time, in about 5 minutes I can create a Popshop with several dozen products from numerous merchants ... something that would take forever building product links via CJ or Linkshare, etc. Pop that into a template page and it's live - lightning fast.

As for people buying single item vs. multiple items, I do get people purchasing more than 1 product. Once they click through from my site to the merchant, anything they buy - not just that initial product that caught their eye - earns commission.

I'd almost like to keep Popshops a secret ... it's THAT good. I've hit a few speedbumps along the way, but the folks at Popshops have been super helpful and have fixed issues quickly. Not sure if it's due to upgrades, but everything seems really speedy lately. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    Most of your questions don't have anything to do with Popshops.

If being about to pay your bills and save a little to not rent in my old age and possibly retire one day, then yes, we're all greedy. I'm so greedy that I'd like to be able to buy new clothes and upgrade my computer once in a while.

That depends.... We're tired of questions of how much you'll make. That depends on you and has nothing to do with Popshops. nothing at all.

Welcome to affiliate marketing. I suggest you use the SEARCH button. All your questions have already been answered before.
    Whoa, dude, I didn't mean to get your guard up. I was actually kidding about the greedy bit - I'm in this for the income too. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Also, I was just interested in how successful the popshops way is vis a vis other affiliate marketing methods. I did start with the SEARCH feature but just couldn't find any relevant results. If you know of a thread then could you please post it? Thanks.

And yes, I agree that success depends entirely on me. I'm successful partly because I do my research first. Please don't mind me being nosy, I'm always going to be.

Quote Originally Posted by joyaz
    Dear Mr C,
    I will say this - I've seen a definite increase in sales since I've been using Popshops, which is about 3 months. As for time, in about 5 minutes I can create a Popshop with several dozen products from numerous merchants ... something that would take forever building product links via CJ or Linkshare, etc. Pop that into a template page and it's live - lightning fast.
    Yeah, that's a point I can't ignore, the speed. CJ is excruciatingly painful in that regard - especially when links get broken. My time is worth too much to be spending on fixing 100's of links because some AM doesn't know what they're doing.

Ok dammit, I'm sold on that point alone. See, I didn't even need figures and the math made sense.

I can see why you'd want it kept secret.

I just checked, and I now have 753 active "shops" in my PopShops account, and 8,553 products from exactly 250 merchants (28 of those through LinkConnector, 7 through RedGaloshes, and all the rest through ShareASale).

I have PopShops testing under way on 28 domains. Most of those domains have only one or a few 'shop' pages, but a few of those domains have between 50 and 100 PopShops pages (this morning I launched 103 new pages, one 'shop' per page all under a single domain, after spending considerable time yesterday and today setting up each 'shop').

HEY! Y'all ain't supposed to be blabbin' about muh secret weapon to the whole world!!! LOL

I do love my PopShops! I have built over 50 so far..... the only bad thing about using them is the fact that they don't have folders...... man! I'd kill for some folders to organize all of my shops by website!!!! *whine* *hint, hint*

I do have one question..... let's say that I'm going to build a page for roses...... do y'all limit yourself to one merchant, or do you pick several merchants? I've been limiting myself to one merchant, BUT I've been thinking that it may be better to choose 3-4 then turn the auto-feed on.... that way if one program goes belly up, I've still got products. That's been my one big hang up on building pages..... one merchant or several?

Thanks!

Oh.... geez.... I apologize Mark! I didn't mean to derail your original topic! Beat me about the head with a wet noodle..... I'll go post my question in another thread if you'd like..... I just get a warm, fuzzy feeling when I think about my PopShop pages.....

*and I'm freakin' impressed by the number of pages you've added this month*

Removed Site
    I just counted and we have 59 shops (!) set up in PopShops. We recently launched a new "shop of shops" at [URL REMOVED] which is almost completely powered by PopShops. Love it, love it.
    Last edited by Greg Rice; January 26th, 2008 at 08:25 AM.

My current count:
    - more than 930 shops
    - with more than 10,000 products
    - from 251 merchants

And that's after purging a bunch of inactive products and removing several clueless merchants.

Sounds like internet pollution to me. Or do you look at it as a fisherman does, the more hooks in the sea, the better chance I have to catch a fish.

Are these set up in a context where the customer actually has a chance to learn from your site, or are you instead just making a huge linkfarm with product images?

How is the customer experience? Really, it is not all about the money. There is more to it than that. (discosure, I have one site like this, but it is from the SAS make a page and I am still working on the design.) My popshops, I primarily use in WP via their plugin for single items. I haven't used it yet to create organized mirrors of stores.

Am I missing something here?

-sfcom

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sfcom
    Am I missing something here?

-sfcom
    There are many different ways to do affiliate marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    There are many different ways to do affiliate marketing.
    Yes. Care to expand on that? More and more posts here at ABW are getting "Twitterized". In some cases it might be more productive to only post once you have put together more than one sentence.

Nothing personal. Just an observation.

-sfcom

I can't speak for Mark, but for myself.... yes, I am adding as many pages to my sites as possible.... yes, I do believe the more hooks in the sea, the more fish I'll catch....

No.... I am not creating internet pollution.... I may be able to create pages quickly and add them to my site quickly, but that doesn't mean that my sites are link farms..... my sites are well-organized and very nice to look at..... I believe that surfers find them useful....

And WHY can it not be all about the money? Don't get me wrong.... I love doing this..... I love creating something new each day..... it's a creative outlet of sorts..... but you can bet your sweet cheeks that I wouldn't be spending several hours per week on this unless I was gettin' paid.....

As Lost Deviant said, there are many ways to do affiliate marketing. Just because you prefer to use the single product addition tool and we prefer to use the page builders doesn't make either way right or wrong..... to each his own....

JM2C

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    creating internet pollution
    One man's trash is another man's treasure. :-)

There's more than 1 one to skin a cat, and if you have the time, you should try lots of different ways and find what works for you. There's no one way to do it, and there's no right or wrong way either, just what you want to try and what you find works for you.

You might do a lineup of a single merchant's items if that fits your strategy and presentaion goals, or it might work better to line up several in a micro comparison site. Depends on the products too.

Everybody keep experimenting and having fun! :-)

> "Do you look at it as a fisherman does, the more hooks in the sea, the better chance I have to catch a fish? // Are these set up in a context where the customer actually has a chance to learn from your site, or are you instead just making a huge linkfarm with product images?" <

Most of my PopShops testing is of the "drop many lines and see if any fish bite" variety. I'm feeding some of the test pages with PPC traffic, and a few of my pages are picking up organic search-engine traffic. I still view most of my "test pages" as barely one step above "thin affiliate" status (and thus two steps above "linkfarm" status), and I definitely have more plans -- but only after I see how my testing performs.

Most of my PopShops testing is of the "drop many lines and see if any fish bite" variety. I'm feeding some of the test pages with PPC traffic, and a few of my pages are picking up organic search-engine traffic. I still view most of my "test pages" as barely one step above "thin affiliate" status (and thus two steps above "linkfarm" status), and I definitely have more plans -- but only after I see how my testing performs.
    From a merchants perspective, I can tell you that in the bedding and pillow vertical, we appreciate all the marketing help we can get. Our competition is very stiff, and the PPC arena is relegated to only effectively be played in the long tail.

So being included in PopShops such as we are is crucial to our long term growth plan.

I need folks like Mark and those above promoting our pillows, because many outlets sell them, and I can't out rank them all by myself.

And as for our consumers, I think they are equally as confused by the pure number of merchants, let alone affiliates. I don't think that adding another 1000 pages to the internet about pillows is in any way polluting that landscape.

In fact, if the affiliate is responsible, and believes in the merchant as I hope our affiliates do of us, then they are actually doing the consumer a favor.

And we all know that as soon as an affiliate falls out of love with a merchant, either because they aren't a square player or because they aren't worth promoting, then those "thin" pages will disappear.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Thanks for the responses to my "fishing" inquiry. Didn't mean to derail, but the replies were informative.

I guess since the topic of the thread was "How many...", I just got me thinking the old quantity/quality debate.

I now know my "How many" answer will be increasing as I get more time to mess with the non-WP version of PopShops.

-sfcom

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    It's not necessarily internet pollution as Popshops doesn't have categories so each "shop" could be one category on one site. If I'm making one website about blocks then maybe I want to break it down to red blocks, blue blocks, purple blocks, round blocks and by the time I'm done I have 50 "shops" on one site.

Pollution?

At this moment: 248 shops, 2092 active items, 167 merchants from CJ, SAS, Linkshare, Performics, Red Galoshes.

For me, the strength of PopShops is the ability to consolidate hundreds of merchants and offerings seamlessly and immediately. If I want to present sweaters from a CJ merchant right next to a Performics merchant above a Linkshare merchant, we're talking a few seconds' work with dynamic results instead of ten minutes of static link building and code pasting.

PopShops' staff is incredibly responsive and the entire application has moved forward gracefully and steadily. The few speed bumps in my way have been clearly marked (Safari compatibility, search confusion). In fact, to be honest, the only thing that has ever stood in my way with PopShops is my own dislike of Firefox, and I can hardly blame PopShops for that!

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread