Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Do we really need (2) computers to succeed?
    I've noticed in several videos many internet marketers working on 2 and sometimes 3 computers at a time.

I guess this is one of those things you learn as you progress in the industry, but other than the potenital of one freezing up or taking forever to download - is there really an important reason for having more than one computer for internet marketing purposes?

Thanks!

If you need to use 2 or 3 computers at the same time, they must be really crappy computers.
    But yeah, it's insurance to have more than 1 (or at least a backup ext. harddrive).

I'm trying to decide if my main comp. is ready for backup status or the dumpster.

I've been doing this business full time with only a single laptop for the past 3 years. But I do have more than one dedicated server for my sites.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

I use one computer - desktop.

Been doing this since 1999.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Using 1 computer here. Using more than 1 computer would make things more complicated.

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    I've been using two for several years, saves a lot of time.

If a site is slow to load or download is going I can flip to the other.

I travel with 2 laptops one is small that one I use more for GPS driving fits on the dash, the other is newer and larger. One has an aircard the other a wifi, but on the road there is a real need when up-down loading.
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Well, one decent computer here with 4 hard drives that are all full. I'd gladly get a second monitor if I had the $. A second computer would be ok for a change of scenery. (work in another room.)

I primarily use a desktop for the day to day work and a Tablet for when I'm traveling or just tired of staring at the four walls in my home office. I use another laptop with multiple browsers for testing. I use FolderShare to keep them all in sync with each other.

Knowing that all of my data is backed up across three systems gives me a great sense of security.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

I work primarily on one computer (a laptop actually), and I think I've done okay. I could see how multiple computers (or monitors even) could be helpful at times, but it's certainly not necessary.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

It depends on the type of operations you routinely run on your computer(s). If you're often doing something that requires a lot of resources and your main computer (no matter how good it is) is not good for use at such times, then yes - two computers are essential to have.

95% of the time I work on one. I sometimes use two.

Geno

Being the geek that I am I'd say it's a geek or productivity thing. Same goes with two monitors. You definitely do not need to two computers. But do plan to have a backup plan if your single one fails and your sites require work every day. Even if this is an el cheapo laptop off of ebay you need to have a backup.

A 2nd monitor if you can swing it is a great idea. In the world of ecommerce we are in it really helps to see two things at once. Whether it is pricing from two sites, content from two sites, or see HTML code and the page it produced. Two monitors managed right can definitely increase productivity.

We are in a information technology world now people. The computer is just as important as the water heater or the stove. I can live with out it like I can live without my water heater and stove, but I definitely do not want to. It is how I manage my money and how I manage my time.

For the record: I have 4 in the house. I have backups running on all every two hours. If one fails I can hop over to the other one, get to the files I was working on and pickup pretty close to where I left off.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Do you need more than one computer? Nah, you just need a Mac OOOHHHH! Instant debate! lol

No, really, you don't *need* two computers. If you've got a good one (be it PC, Mac, Linux, whatever), that'll work. More important - to me - is having a nice, big monitor to have many windows open at the same time.

That said... I do have two computers. I've got my work machine, a MacBook Pro, and I've got a gaming machine, a desktop PC. I try not to game on my work machine But just one for work.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by HecticDMC
    Do you need more than one computer? Nah, you just need a Mac OOOHHHH! Instant debate! lol
    Maddox has something to say about Macs. Posting the URL would incur the wrath of the moderators, as Maddox has "Empathy Deficit Disorder" and uses four letter words the way ordinary folks use punctuation.

You'll have to google it.

Me? I have a laptop with split personalities. WinXP or Ubuntu.
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

You don't need two computers, but it is nice if one happens to break down on you. I personally only use one computer for my affiliate work, but I have two in my house.

I think more importantly is to keep your work backed up incase your computer does break down. Something like an external hard drive or CDs.

Using separate computer for risky surfing
    The usefulness of a second "concurrently working" computer depends entirely on how you use the computer(s). I think that for 99% of people it would create far more problems and confusion to justify any benefit.

In my advice to merchants on recruiting affiliates, I offered this advice:

> Use a separate computer: Inevitably, some "prospective affiliate" sites will turn out to be "evil," including some sites that will attempt to execute malicious scripts or download BHOs or other "malware" to the user's computer. Although most such attempts fail, a prudent affiliate manager should avoid using a computer that contains "sensitive data" for affiliate recruitment, and should make frequent, redundant backups. <

I only use one computer currently, but I have a second computer that's (essentially configured only for internet use) on a cart in case I need it. My wife is also midway through a transition from her old computer to a newer one, so we'll have another fully-configured spare in a week or three. I've also got a couple of older web servers sitting idle on my shelf, available if needed. We also have three USB backup drives -- and I guess now that I'm thinking about it, I should go ahead and make a fresh backup this morning while I'm out running errands.

Outsourced Program Manager Rick - Bitcom's Avatar
    I've got 3 Macs all on one network. Each has a different monitor so I can check how banners and sites look on different monitors and browsers. I can also use one of the others if I'm doing a large upload/download on one.

OK the truth is 2 of those Macs are in my daughters rooms. But I do consider them my backups for the reasons above.

I think the most important thing is to have at least one large monitor (preferably 2) so you can have lots of windows open at the same time. I think productivity is directly proportional to screen real estate. The more the better. I could never survive on a small laptop screen. ;-)

I think the big decision is, how much downtime can you afford? For me, I can't afford to be down so I run 2 Vaio SZ laptops. One has XP and one has Vista. They both have the same software installed, except the OS. Backups are done on an external drive for quick restore if needed and backups on X Drive online in case of castrophic failure like a fire.

The backup Vaio also does some high resource tasks so my main laptop isn't affected by high CPU usage. If I lose my main Vaio, I can be up and running on my backup in minutes.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

ABW Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
    I use one computer - desktop.

Been doing this since 1999.
    Me too!

But, I still going to get me one of this one day:

:-)
    Attached Images Attached Images

I only use one, but sometimes two would really make it much easier. If you are doing things that require a lot of bandwidth, and are doing a lot of things at once, one computer can get really slow and annoying, to the point where you just want to smash it against the wall...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    Me too!

But, I still going to get me one of this one day:

:-)
    I ran a single monitor until a few months ago and now run 2 19" widescreens. I wondered just how much more productive 2 monitors would be over just one. One of my brothers tried 2 and convinced me. Now I'm hooked and want to run 4.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

if anybody is seriously considering running a 2nd computer you might also look and see if virtualization would do what you are looking for (VMWare, MS Virtual Server, Parallels). If you need a 2nd computer to do data crunching or background processing this may be the way to go. It is a good way to keep your footprint down.

If you truly need a 2nd machine but one KB/Mouse/Monitor look at remote desktop or VNC to attach to the other machine

And if you need two machines two monitors but only one KB/mouse look at using Synergy. http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/ . Works between OSX/Windows too !
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    I primarily use a desktop for the day to day work and a Tablet for when I'm traveling or just tired of staring at the four walls in my home office. I use another laptop with multiple browsers for testing. I use FolderShare to keep them all in sync with each other.

Knowing that all of my data is backed up across three systems gives me a great sense of security.

-rematt
    Thanks for commenting rematt

If and when you have time - could you elborate on what you mean/do by using "multiple browsers for testing"?

As usual you guys are AWESOME and have over-delivered good feedback and valuable information.

I LOVE ABW!

Quote Originally Posted by GoColts
    Thanks for commenting rematt

If and when you have time - could you elborate on what you mean/do by using "multiple browsers for testing"?
    I have IE7 on my desktop, so I've loaded Firefox, IE6 and Opera on my laptop to make sure that my pages load properly in these.

I've also recently started using BrowserShots to test compatibility across different browsers. Someone posted about it here about a month or so ago and it seems pretty good.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast