Question Starting an Affiliate Network
    I'm working on starting an affiliate network in my country which is in Eastern Europe. E-commerce is just picking up, but I'm confident that the growth will be exponential. Hence now is the time to put the foot in the door.

In brief, here's how I plan to approach it:

1) Cooperate with an existing e-commerce site and create/manage an affiliate program for them - to prove that it will work.
    2) Add merchants in the same market.
    3) Expand to other market segments.
    4) Sell the business to a larger network willing to enter my country's marketplace (in 5-7 years).

Question 1. Any comments on this strategy?

Question 2. What would you suggest regarding the tracking software? Is it best to develop it in-house, or use a readily available system like DirectTrack? I imagine that buying the software could save a lot of human-months of development, let alone the dollars.

Depending on the country in question, I may be interested in discussing this with you. Feel free to e-mail me at geno (at) amnavigator.com

Thanks.

Geno

Thanks Geno - e-mail sent.

Regarding your second question, we are developing an affiliate marketing/network software called AdsElement, it is developed by AdvertLabs. We would be happy to receive any feedback from you regarding the features that should be inside of it.

Currently we want to take it a one step further then what you have seen so far, we want it to be PHP, Java and ASP.NET compatible

Thanks AdvertLabs. What do you mean by "PHP, Java and ASP.NET compatible"?

Default scripting language will be PHP and even if you are willing to use JAVA or ASP.Net as your scripting language as an option, it will be fully functional with them by using the API's

Hi jamix - there's a 3rd option: approach a large euro aff. n/w and offer to open up the market for them.

But if you're an entrepreneur then it's higher risk and reward to start your own.

I wouldn't go develop your own system, as that would be too many new things: new market, new platform, new customers. DT is used by most aff. n/w's. There's not much else to choose from at the moment - oh also check leadhound.

Cheers.
    [URL=http://www.typoassassin.com/?utm_source=abestweb&utm_medium=forum&utm_content=p&utm_campaign=sig]Are these affiliates stealing from you?[/URL]

Thanks asr_guy, I've been checking out DT last week and it looks good. Didn't check leadhound yet - do you know a lot of networks that use it?

I can tell you a lot of networks who use DT, so that makes them unique?

Even we as a business team decided to build our own for BigWebAds.com but also decided to resell it with a license and make that possible to custumize it.

So i would say make your own or buy one that not many are using it.

Also keep in mind that DT is ok for Actions and Leads merchants

Well, it's more about entering the niche at this point than being unique. Given that there are no affiliate networks here, going for a proven tracking solution so that we can concentrate on customer service and developing the business seems the right way to go.

Yes, I did hear about DT being no too good for product-oriented merchants. Can you elaborate on that?

DT is not a free software, when building a marketing network, there is actually more then just a customer service i guess, it involves being a unique so that merchants will join you, else you will use other networks to gather those merchants, and as i and many others know, from day to day less marketing networks allow other networks to join them because they will re-distribute those merchants and this is an open door for fraud.

DT is having problem with dealing with merchants who offer per a sale % and such campaigns. more then that, DT is listing their merchants as offers, that means that there can be multiple offers from same merchant and thus when a lead occoured then only 1 offer is paid and not all of them, for example you can have multiple survey offers from 1 merchant and they will be listed multiple times, but the merchant is paying only once. Also, as an affiliate of many networks i know to compare campaigns from many networks and then pick the one that pays the most and very often i see those offers promoted from other networks like cj.com.

Additional thing i would like to mention is that the fact when you steal an offer from a network and don't promote if for your own merchants, you basically have more chance for that offer being un paid because of multiple cookies involved in that process.

Lastly, if you do steal offers/campaigns from another networks, as you were talking about customer service, how are you going to insure that the merchant from that other network installed their tracking software on their site correctly and they are paying for every lead/sale your network is delivering?

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread