Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    Question SAS affiliates bounced emails
    We just sent out a Newsletter over the weekend, I can't believe the number of bad emails ie: dead affiliates.

It looked like 175

I think it may be a good idea for SAS to scub their list?

Anyone else seeing this?
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

web dev with whiskers tn-morgen's Avatar
    I got your email - not a newsletter, tho.....

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Got it also.

Keep in mind that there are many reasons why an email might bounce, even if the email is valid.

And what would you do with affiliates who have bouncing email addresses? Delete them? What if an email to your top performer bounces?

There are no easy answers.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I count on at least a 15% bounce rate - it annoys me because for some of these affiliates I have no other way to reach them, but I don't delete them because of a bad email address.....

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    This can definitely be discouraging, especially since SAS (and CJ for that matter) provide so little actionable info on the affiliates.

It's wise to invest some time in learning who your top folks are and making sure you have their private emails or Skypoe/aim/msn/yahoo/google chat handles so you can actually connect with some reliability.

This definitely isn't just an SAS issue though.

Quote Originally Posted by PetsWarehouse.com
    Anyone else seeing this?
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=64867

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I got an e-mail too. I didn't get a newsletter, just an e-mail offering to call me. Yes, you're welcome to call Mexico, PM for my number :-)

FYI - You really need to be in Popshops.

It goes both ways: many "affiliate manager" emails bounce, too. At least several dozen ShareASale merchants have an out-of-date (invalid) email address configured as the "send-from" email shown in affiliate-application-confirmation and acceptance emails.

I've heard numbers ranging from 15% to 50% of affiliate emails bouncing. (When I was running a program at SAS for only 9 months after launch, it was certainly more than 10%.) Again, some affiliates have an out-of-date or invalid email address as their "official" SAS contact email address. (At ShareASale's ThinkTank, someone suggested that some affiliates do this intentionally to avoid the flood of affiliate newsletters, etc. If so, I'd consider that a huge gamble or risk for the affiliate.)

As noted, there are multiple possible reasons for a bounce. Usually the reason is clearly stated in the bounce message; if it's bouncing because the mailbox is full, or server not responding, it might be a transient problem. Most of the time, though, it bounces as invalid (no such mailbox, account closed, no mail server configured at this domain).

Since SAS wants to secret contact info of the affiliates from the merchant, I would think that Brian has a responsibility to maintain a clean email list.

Aren't there programs that can test or ping a email to at least verifiy it exists?

There has to be a way, to scrub or test the e-mails.

If they bounce they should be flagged in your affilite list as a problem contact.
    Bob Pets Warehouse

ABW Ambassador
    They just need some in network messaging/mail system like CJ or Linkshare has. Performics could use it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    They just need some in network messaging/mail system like CJ or Linkshare has. Performics could use it too.
    I did propose it at the last ThinkTank, but heard back no's from fellow-OPMs and several affiliates.

Geno

PS: I've just posted a poll on this here.
    Last edited by Geno Prussakov; January 21st, 2008 at 12:57 PM. Reason: poll info added

We see this in both our SAS and CJ programs. The percentage runs from around 15% to nearly 30%. I wish the data was more accurate but it's certainly not a reason to remove any affiliate.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    I did propose it at the last ThinkTank, but heard back no's from fellow-OPMs and several affiliates.
    Geno
    No's? Did they say why? I don't understand why an affiliate or affiliate manager would be opposed to another line of communication. It would be there if you wanted to use it. If not, then they wouldn't have to. But there wouldn't be any bounces with a system like that.

Do you mean that when an affiliate logs in they would see they have a message waiting?

Sort of like a PM works on the forum.
    Bob Pets Warehouse

Quote Originally Posted by PetsWarehouse.com
    Do you mean that when an affiliate logs in they would see they have a message waiting?

Sort of like a PM works on the forum.
    Yes.

No's? Did they say why?
    I believe the undergirding theme of the argument was spam and abuse of the system.

Geno

ABW Ambassador
    You could do that but I don't know anybody that does it that way. More like when I login to CJ, I just click the Mail link. I can send and receive messages. Separate mail into folders, make new folders. Keep track of mail I sent to merchants etc, like a regular email account. Some affiliates might have let email accounts slide, put up bad information, whatever that leads to bounces. But with this, it's there after you login to the network.

"I believe the undergirding theme of the argument was spam and abuse of the system."

Haven't really seen that. Using CJ as an example, the mail I usually get would be from merchants I'm partnered with and it's usually info about the program. Maybe a newletter, new link info, deal or coupon etc. So as a merchant, there won't be bounces. As an affiliate if you don't want to read mail for some reason, just don't click the mail link. Most merchants send stuff out thru regular email, some both ways.

For merchants, doesn't it solve the bounce problem?

For merchants, doesn't it solve the bounce problem?
    I think it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    I believe the undergirding theme of the argument was spam and abuse of the system.Geno
    With CJ that hasn't really been much a of a problem. LS's internal mail on the other hand has become more of an annoyance than a help. Apparently they open their system to any merchant whether you belong to their program or not (for a price I'm sure). I get waaay too many program invitations from merchants that have absolutely no relevance that I usually have to wade through 20 or 30 spammy e-mails to find the one of interest.

What I find most annoying is that I'll get the same e-mail from a merchant 20 or 3 times in the same day.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

web dev with whiskers tn-morgen's Avatar
    I agree about LS email system. The CJ is OK, but I get most my email from my email accounts. I already have 5 accounts I check every day - add more & I'm overwhelmed. Some I check only once a week or month.

Yeah, it's that each acct has a different purpose - some work & some home/personal & then the aff mktg accts/site accts.

As has been pointed out, not all bounced emails are bad emails. Bounced email does not mean dead affiliate. As an affiliate I have had some of my emails to merchants and AM's either bounce back or go unanswered with the reason that they were never received. I wouldn't say the merchant or AM is dead or worthless. Bounces and failed delivery are a fact of life.

As a merchant you can request that an affiliate agree to share their email/phone/address. Have you tried that? Won't solve your problem but might give you another avenue of contact.

From Think Tank - I believe that SAS is working on a way to alert affiliates when they log in that there is a problem with their email.
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

Another pet peave is programs that aren't open with the information on how to get a hold of their managers.

See this in CJ all the time.

As managers we can't expect to have our cake and eat it to by whining about not having access to good affiliate contact info and not providing our own.

I know most I see in this thread are pretty high profile and good about that.

ABW Ambassador
    "From Think Tank - I believe that SAS is working on a way to alert affiliates when they log in that there is a problem with their email."

There's a way you can do that too. Have it so when you login, if they don't have a valid email address or the one on file bounces or there is some other problem, make it so they can't do anything in the network** until they supply a working email address. And what I suggested in past discussions, double opt in, so they don't just supply some random working email address. And not only SAS, any network can do this. It is the main form of communication so people should have working email addresses.

**I've seen Adsense do that before when they update terms, you have to check off that you read them before you can proceed to do anything.

Loving that idea..

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    My problem with all of these ideas has always been the "end game" scenario. In other words, what do you "really" want us to do if an affiliate is unable to keep a valid email address.

What if the affiliate doesn't comply or doesn't respond, etc... ? I don't think that any affiliate would appreciate having their account disabled, or even mildly affected - and I don't think any merchant or OPM really wants to be responsible for that in the end. Instead, this thread would then be titled... "ShareASale closed my account for no reason", etc... (Obviously there would be a "reason", but not one that is regulary expected).

Should ShareASale boot out affiliates from the network because they continue to change email addresses, or their boxes are full a lot, or [name any other email program] .... Seems like an awful stiff penalty.

Bob - all the solutions that you mention are going to run into trouble due to their invasive nature into an email box.... i.e., spam. Email pings, test emails, etc... do affiliates really want all of these things?? I don't guess yes here.

Further, it wouldn't matter in this case if we hid the email address from you, or didn't hide it. If the email doesn't work..... it won't be delivered in any case. In other words, if I suddenly decide to display all the email addresses, it does little to address the problem.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast