View Poll Results: Affiliates, do you read your in-network messages/mail?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

34 70.83%
  • No

14 29.17%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Question Do You Read Your In-Network Mail?
    To compliment the discussion started here, I think it'd be good to have this poll...

I do understand potential issues with merchant abuse of this system, but this is not what the question is about. Just let us -- merchants, AMs, OPMs and even networks -- know if you read those in-network messages at all.

Many thanks in advance for your replies.

Geno

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Geno, I think you need a third option - I look at the in-network messages occasionally, CJ 2-3 times/month, LS, maybe once every other month.

Edit to add: The discrepancy between CJ & LS: CJ system will sometimes have a message that is actually important and necessary to read. LS - never see anything important that isn't also sent by regular email.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    Geno, I think you need a third option - I look at the in-network messages occasionally, CJ 2-3 times/month, LS, maybe once every other month.
    Ok. Propose the wording for third option, please.

Geno

CJ -- once a week -- at least I scan the subject headers of the e-mails from within their system to gauge importance/interest.

LS -- I have 3 channels & tend to get duplicate messsages
    I review subject headers of internal e-mails twice a month

SAS -- Do they have an internal messaging system??

I open and read e-mails received according to importance/interest of the subject headers of the e-mails -- I receive hundreds of e-mails every day.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

How about

Affiliates, do you read your in-network messages/mail?
    1) Regularly
    2) Occasionally
    3) Never
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    SAS -- Do they have an internal messaging system?
    Nope (that's pretty much where the question of this poll originated). Neither does Performics. AvantLink kinda does, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    How about

Affiliates, do you read your in-network messages/mail?
    1) Regularly
    2) Occasionally
    3) Never
    I think I will just leave it the way it is... Your options dig deeper into the mail-checking pattern (which is useful to know too), but my main question is whether an in-network messaging system is good to have (as a means of getting in touch with an affiliate that cannot be reached otherwise) or not.

Geno

Geno,

The internal messaging system/internal e-mail system of LS and CJ has been most important to me during times when I have had a serious problem [i.e., I get all my CJ product picture specific links through the CJ search mechanism, there have been times when product links from a specific merchant didn't show and I would use the internal message system to contact the merchant --

Same with LS: technical glitches are my main reason for using the system.
    Once I didn't know if a merchant who sells multiple brands knew if "Brand X" was still being manufactured, the merchant notified me that the maker of "Brand X" was out of business and "product X" was no longer available]

I do check the internal systems regularly at least once a month [but check my previous post for accuracy]
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    I think out of the regular networks, only CJ and Linkshare have it, didn't see one in Avantlink unless I'm missing it. But I check it a few times a week.

Does anybody know from the merchant end at CJ, is it kind of setup like the affiliate end? Where they login to CJ and have a mail link they can click and read messages sent from affiliates via CJ? I don't know if it's just my perception but I seem to get quicker responses from merchants at CJ, when I send them a message thru CJ's system. And I'm wondering if that's because it's setup that way so it's easier to go thru the messages as compared to their regular email account, where they probably get a lot more mail and spam, which they wouldn't get thru the internal system.

Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    I think I will just leave it the way it is... Your options dig deeper into the mail-checking pattern (which is useful to know too), but my main question is whether an in-network messaging system is good to have (as a means of getting in touch with an affiliate that cannot be reached otherwise) or not.

Geno
    That depends on how it is used, and I see a big difference between CJ and LS, as I previously eluded to. Many CJ merchants send important info only through the internal system, while LS merchants, that I have seen over 7 years, never do. The LS system, however, is loaded with solicitations from unjoined merchants, while CJ is not.

It the internal system were used only for important messages, it would be valuable, and affiliates would know to check for this info, and not have to rely on sifting through regular email. Used as a spammy solicitation vehicle, it's a waste of time to log in.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    ...I don't know if it's just my perception but I seem to get quicker responses from merchants at CJ, when I send them a message thru CJ's system. ..
    My perception is just the opposite - I get much quicker responses through regular email, and when I have told affiliate managers that I sent a message through CJ email, some have told me that they check that infrequently.

Action Jackson - King of the World
    wow was amazed there were so many yeses.

There have been similar polls in the past and the results were much lower.

I can't remember the last time I checked mine on any network.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    I think out of the regular networks, only CJ and Linkshare have it, didn't see one in Avantlink unless I'm missing it. But I check it a few times a week.

Does anybody know from the merchant end at CJ, is it kind of setup like the affiliate end? Where they login to CJ and have a mail link they can click and read messages sent from affiliates via CJ? I don't know if it's just my perception but I seem to get quicker responses from merchants at CJ, when I send them a message thru CJ's system. And I'm wondering if that's because it's setup that way so it's easier to go thru the messages as compared to their regular email account, where they probably get a lot more mail and spam, which they wouldn't get thru the internal system.
    Trust, yes the merchant side is the same as the affiliate side, except there are more options like email campaigns, new publisher email.

I usually check my CJ mail once per day, per program, when I review apps so response time is usually 1 day. Email, however, is checked every 5 minutes so email response should be quicker. An internal mail system could be better than regular email, if the user was notified of a new message. Otherwise, the user checks it whenever they think about it.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

I chose No - because I "seldom" read them. LS is usually full of spam and I only have a couple of merchants in CJ (and will probably get rid of them this spring).
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I voted no because I dont belong to any network that has an in house mailing
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

So many who don't read the emails yet come here complaining that hey what happened to merchant x, or why didn't merchant x let us know they were moving or whatever. Many times those type of emails come through the network mail.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Only sometimes.

I voted Yes, because I do.

But.......

If after a while I notice that "a" merchant is sending too many of the same junk every other day, many times I just delete those emails without even opening it.

And btw, I also not interested in any of those "one day only" or "24 hrs sale, links" emails, yet.

I agree with Mr. Sal's post #n-n-n-nineteen
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I read em unless I know I've gotten the same sent to my personal email. (not much point reading it twice lol )

Umm unless they've eliminated it.....there are actually newsletters merchants or affiliate managers can send to their affiliates at SAS. Ummm reason I know lol is cos Andy had sent me several but I didn't know and then felt sooooo bad when I did find out. Didn't want him thinking I had purposely been ignoring him.

If you click on the merchant's "View Program Description" then click on "View Recent Newsletters" there they are.

I voted yes, but would rather have voted sometimes. Some of what I think has already been mentioned:

CJ - I check regularly because it's easy to get in and out of and there's not much there. I can easily tell if I just read the same thing in my actual email, so managing the mail is pretty easy. I usually get a response through that system also.

Linkshare - never anymore. I used to. But it's full of crap and takes forever and anything good is buried and useless by the time I get to it.

SAS - I only click on see recent newsletters when I'm evaluating a potential merchant, so if they are putting them there instead of emailing them to me, I missed it. I get several a week through regular email, so I'm probably getting them all.

All others - I see things in my email regularly. I haven't looked for an internal system. If they have one, hopefully they are linking it to the dashboard so I'll see a notice when I log in.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I check my CJ Mail daily, but I only open the ones that look like they have useful info. I also use their internal mail to contact merchants if I don't get a response to an email I've sent. It seems that merchants are as bad at keeping their email info up to date as affs are--there are quite a few of them that never seem to get direct emails, even when the messages don't bounce outright. But most of them will respond to a CJ-system mail.

As for LS, my Snare account is dead now (according to their announcement that inactive accounts would be deleted...I stopped checking after that since mine had been inactive for ages)--but when it was alive, I never checked theirs because it was always full of nothing but junk. And not only was it junk, there was always quite a lot of it!

SAS...it'd be nice if they did implement an internal mail system. I get all the (regular) emails SAS merchants send me, but on the merchant side, I could sure do without all the bounces I get when I send out a newsletter.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I can't vote yet since I have few posts but I would have voted no if I could.
    I don't read those mails.

So it looks like the majority of affiliates (at least, out of those that have taken part in this poll so far) do use/read in-network mail/messeges.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast