How can I infect my test PC with Zango?
    I have a PC that I'm using solely for testing purposes, and I'd like to install the Zango spyware on it so I can see what some of my nefarious competitors are doing. I went to Zango.com a few weeks ago to download and install the Zango Search Assistant...but that didn't seem to do anything interesting when I was browsing websites.

So is there something else I need to download? An older version maybe? Or maybe a different component from their site?

ABW Ambassador
    I'm pretty sure you can pick it up from:

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...&q=zango+games

The download-game.com site has:

"Zango Games. Zango is one of our sponsored partners and offers a range of free downloadable and online flash games. The downloadable games do contain some adware but nothing harmful."

One of those sites maybe. They probably have different things out there, not sure which one does what.

non-sequitor: Did you ever try vmware or MS virtual PC for this type of testing? You could keep virtual OS template around, and just boot up a copy of it whenever you wanted to play with a virus/spyware. Once you are done you can kill it and use your OS template again for the next test. Beauty is you don't have to go through an OS install each time.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Thanks, Trust. I'll try that out.

Quote Originally Posted by patrick24601
    non-sequitor: Did you ever try vmware or MS virtual PC for this type of testing? You could keep virtual OS template around, and just boot up a copy of it whenever you wanted to play with a virus/spyware. Once you are done you can kill it and use your OS template again for the next test. Beauty is you don't have to go through an OS install each time.
    Yes, Microsoft Virtual PC is what I'm actually using. I figured I'd describe it just as a "test PC" to keep things simple.

Pretty sneaky!
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Quote Originally Posted by ghoti
    Thanks, Trust. I'll try that out.

Yes, Microsoft Virtual PC is what I'm actually using. I figured I'd describe it just as a "test PC" to keep things simple.
    Let us know what you find.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Zango Help
    First, we would like to assure you that Zango is a safe and secure program which will not harm users’ computer.

We are certainly aware of the ever-growing number of harmful applications that have surfaced on the Web.
    Please be assured that Zango, unlike such applications, will always make the user’s privacy our top priority. Zango is a safe and secure program which installs only upon user's download and does nothing without the user's consent.

Following are some clarifications on the function of Zango's software:

1. Zango does not build personal profiles.
    2. Zango does not gather any data you enter in online forms.
    3. Zango does not access any sensitive information entered while surfing, such as account details, passwords, credit card information, products you purchase online, etc.
    4. Zango’s installation does not install any third party applications. In addition, Zango can be installed only through a standard download process initiated by the user from Zango's websites and is easy to uninstall.

Unfortunately, it appears that some scanning applications have mistakenly included Zango on their lists. We are aware of this situation and our legal team is contacting these companies in order to be removed from their lists.

Zango is a new way to access free programs and tools to make life a little easier and lots more fun.
    Zango gives you the ultimate universal access to more than 100,000 pieces of free online content – videos, games, music, tools and utilities.
    Zango now offers you new and cool email features – Emoticons, Animations, Backgrounds, ecards, cursors and other enhancing web experience features such as wallpapers, screensavers, games and more!
    With Zango there are no fees, no subscriptions and no trial periods - with Zango everything is always completely free and safe!

The Zango Toolbars:

1. The Zango Browser Toolbar presents buttons on your Internet Explorer browser that change dynamically while you surf to relate to the website you visit. These buttons also provide you instant access to Search, Yellow Pages and more!
    The Browser toolbar also offers you Cursors to instantly convert the old boring cursor with new and lively image, shape or character.

2. The Zango email Toolbar is added to your email (Outlook, Outlook Express. This bar offers a wide assortment of options for customizing the design of your emails with Emoticons, Backgrounds, eCards, Animations and cursors.

If you have additional questions do not hesitate to contact us!

Zango support team can be easily contacted through our help site: catalog.zango.com/destination/corporate/supportform.aspx
    or directly at: zangocustomersupport [at] zango.com
    Last edited by MichaelColey; January 22nd, 2008 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Removed Links

15 years and counting
    Quote Originally Posted by Zango Support
    First, we would like to assure you that Zango is a safe and secure program which will not harm users’ computer.
    That's just not true. Affiliates links are still overwritten by Zango (and their users). Commissions are stolen by thieves using Zango.
    Are you going to start the discussion where your colleagues left?
    Do you mind to address these concerns:
    The Effect of 180solutions on Affiliate Commissions and Merchants
    Zango Practices Violating Zango's Recent Settlement with the FTC
    Impact of Contextual Advertising Adware in Affiliate Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    That is the most outrageous post of 2008 !

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread