Talking Urgent Google Conversion tracking help !!
    Hi all. I am confused between Google's Cross Channel tracking & Google Conversion tracking. I want to set up Cross-Channel tracking instead of Google conversion tracking because cross channel tracking allows me to track non-google ads also.

We don't track sales... just leads. So a form being submitted is a
    conversion. People are sent to our main page with the ad:
    http://www.site.com and if they fill out a form, they are sent to
    http://www.site.com/thanks.html.

I want to see how many visitors visited my main page (landing page) & which ones actually signed up to end up at the thank you page.

Both Google Conversion & Cross channel tells to put the javascript code on landing page and also the thank you page.. I am really confused as to use both tracking codes or just cross channel code to serve both my needs.

So, which conversion code should I use on these two pages? or do you think I need to use both codes to meet my requirements ?

Please help me out..

Thanks,

Starchet

Have you looked real hard at Google Analytics? You can set it up to show when someone clicks on an affiliate links to exit. I think in your case you would want to set what they call a "Goal" on your /thanks.html.

Thanks for your suggestions. The problem with Analytics is that they don't allow my affiliate page. My affiliate program has offered to put my conversion code on my affiliate page & conversion page.

Take Care,

Starchet

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Both don't require code snippets on both the confirm page and landing pages.

See these setup guides:

Conversion Tracking:
    https://adwords.google.com/support/b...=6331&topic=60
    https://adwords.google.com/select/li...king_jan05.pdf

Cross-Channel Tracking:
    https://adwords.google.com/support/b...y?answer=14158

Basically, the conversion tracking is just on the confirm page and reads the adwords cookie to implement tracking. For cross-channel tracking, since G cannot read third party cookies (the Y cookie for instance), there's additional code on the landing page that senses the referrer and adds this info to the G cookie, then that G cookie uses the confirm page to read what it learned about the referring source that was recorded (into the G cookie) on the landing page.

Talking Thanks a lot..
    By reading your reply.. I think I finally get it.. I am new to Internet marketing so I really appreciate your help.

Ok so based on your answer- I will do the following:-

-I will put Google conversion code (traditional) on my thank you page.

-Then I will put Google Cross Channel code on my landing page (main page)

-This will take care of both Adwords & non-adwords campaigns..

-I will take cross channel tracking url's with from google (Assign them different names to track my ads) & link them to my banners and other online ads.

- Google conversion cookie will track adwords if someone converts but will also read the cross channel cookie information (referrer) if the conversion happens to be from my non-adwords campaign!!

Did I get it right ????

Look forward to hear from you.

Thanks in advance,

Starchet

To complicate things, I think Google was having an issue with this yesterday. I had AdWords conversions popping every click, even though my tracking code was only on the Order Confirmation page.

Interestingly, the fix is in today, and it appears to be back dated.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Yep Starchet, you've got it now.

One suggestion for you, take it in steps. Implement the Conversion Tracking (confirmation pagte only) and run for a few weeks coming to understand the data that is reported (and it's shortcomings). Conversion Tracking is a needed prerequisite before implementing Cross-Channel, so you'll also help uncomplicate things if something goes wrong (and it often does). Make sure Conversion Tracking is humming along and understood, then later, layer in Cross Channel on top of that. If something goes wrong, you'll know where the problem is and what the data contribution fromm each tracking source should look like.

Have fun!

Thanks guys for your valuable input. I spent the whole day looking for an answer without a clue. I wish I posted on abestweb earlier... You guys are simply great!! It seems like you are big time affiliates with tons of experience offline & online.

Donuts- Can I contact you again in the future ?

Take Care,

Starchet

Quote Originally Posted by starchet
    Donuts- Can I contact you again in the future ?
    Post your questions here, our collective knowledge is so far ahead of any one person's knowledge or viewpoint or perspective, that you're really selling things short by focusing on specific members.

Talking Sure!!
    You are right, Sir.. Will do..

But it's also nice to have a few knowledgeble personal friends !

Take Care,

Starchet

Arrow Howdy Again
    Greetings Donuts..

Hope you are in best of health. Ok so I got one more confusing question about google cross channel tracking.

As discussed earlier, I have put the adwords conversion code (traditional) on my conversion page.

Suppose that I have placed the traditional code on my conversion page & have decided not to place cross channel conversion code on my landing page.

Next step :- I create an ad campaign (directed to my landing page url) using google cross channel special link creation (where Google asks for name of campaign & destination url to create a special url link) I know that there will be no stats for the ad campaign with google cross channel link because I have not placed the cross channel code on the landing page.

Puzzle !!- But What if the visitor goes beyond my landing page & ends up signing up on the confirmation page ?

Will the traditional adwords code on the conversion page track this conversion that has come from a google cross channel url link ?

My Guess- The traditional conversion code should recognize the cross channel campaign link that has google cookie & recognize where the conversion has come from...

Am I right or just too darn confusing ?

Looking forward to hear from you.

Thanks,

Starchet

No, it won't recognize this cross channel sale. For the traditional conversion code to recognize a cross channel sale, information about the source of that traffic has to be recorded somewhere. The cross-channal code you would place on the landing page, is the source of that info. Without it, the conversion code doesn't know the source, so no cross channel sale is recorded.

The url info you append to track a cross-channel sale interacts with the landing page code. If either piece of that is missing, no channel source is recorded into the G cookie, so the conversion tracking code on your confirmation page will have nothing to read when the conversion occurs.

Summarizing, if you want to track G ppc sales into adwords, you need the conversion code on your confirmation page (the source info gets recorded by G when they click on the G ad in either the G site, G search netowkr or G content network). To add adwords conversion tracking for sources other than g's advertising sources, you need to add two more things (in addition to the confirmation page code), encoded urls to identify the source and landing page code to make sure that information gets recorded in the G cookie / session.

Thanks Again !
    Donuts- You should be recognized as a Google Idol !!

Thanks so much for your breakdown & explanation.. I appreciate it.

Hope you have a great weekend.

God Bless,

Starchet

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread