Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    The World Economy Reacting To U.S. Markets
    Wow, for anyone who believes that the economies of developing nations are no longer affected by the U.S. Markets, a bit of an eye-opener! India shut down its market today after it continued a record down turn from yesterday. Europe and Asian markets have been hit hard too.

Today, Treasury secretary Paulson issued a strong assurance that a broad based stimulus package is being formulated on an ASAP basis and bingo - the European and Asian markets have risen sharply. It's scramble time and with the U.S. federal reserve lowering the rate 75 basis points, they may have helped these world economies avoid a major crash. We'll see what happens when the Indian Sensex reopens....

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...%7D&siteid=bnb
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

ABW Ambassador
    Fed Cuts Interest Rate
    The Federal Reserve, confronted with a global stock sell-off fanned by increased fears of a recession, cut a key interest rate by three-quarters of a percentage point on Tuesday, the biggest one-day move by the central bank in recent memory.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080122/fed_i...ates.html?.v=1

Refinance
    Time to refinance the mortgage on my bubble-backed home..

Outsourced Program Manager Stephanie Harris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Ward
    The Federal Reserve, confronted with a global stock sell-off fanned by increased fears of a recession, cut a key interest rate by three-quarters of a percentage point on Tuesday, the biggest one-day move by the central bank in recent memory.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080122/fed_i...ates.html?.v=1

Just heard on the news - its actually the biggest one day move in over 20 years.
    Stephanie Harris
    Schaaf Consulting
    p/f: 323.386.2338
    AIM: stephschaafco
    www.schaafco.com | stephanie@schaafco.com
    Our Programs: Baby Catalog | Blue Bee | Constant Contact | CourseSmart | ForMeToCoupon | Homestead | InTheSwim | Ipsos Survey Panel | LightInTheBox.com | Moosejaw | Mrs. Prindables | Payless ShoeSource | simply youth ministry | SnagAJob.com | Specialty Pool Products

This is a great time to re-fi and get a low fixed rate gang! I refinanced our CO home last week before we left for FL and we are going to rewrite it yet again next week. Fixed rates may drop as low as 5.25% so this is definitely a great opportunity for those who may have 6+% rates to knock some monthly expense down. :-)
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Unless you're already at full appraised value, which, depending on where you live might be substantially less right now. Perfect time for golden borrowers with good equity. Everyone else should be careful with application fees they can't afford to lose.

Good tip Judi - equity and loan value are important factors, so for those who have a decent equity position and use a broker that does not charge origination fees or points - a good opportunity is on the horizon.

I've thought the same thing over the past day, Alan. I can't tell you how many times I've heard over the past month that the US economy is no longer important in the world, but things like this show that it is.

It's encouraging to see the government taking bold, quick steps to reinvigorate the economy. Between the tax rebates being proposed, the large interest rate cut and the bias toward future cuts, they will likely minimize any downturn and possibly even stave off a downturn.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I concur Michael...

The fact is that world markets are deeply and directly impacted by what goes on in the U.S. markets. Yes, the dollar has traded lower and emerging economies in other nations have been on the upturn. But don't let pride or naivity fool you - when the U.S. economy hits an adjustment period (what others may call a recession) ALL markets are quick to react.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I've thought the same thing over the past day, Alan. I can't tell you how many times I've heard over the past month that the US economy is no longer important in the world, but things like this show that it is.
    I giggled about that too, when I saw it in oil prices that are dropping. Demand hasn't dropped (yet) and the oil and energy futures haven't dropped enough to cause the last few days changes, but somehow oil magically goes under $88 / barrel as US recession fears spread around the globe. I see that as foreign cartels (aka monopolies) realizing that if they gouge us to hard, they'll suffer.

Longer term, they're letting us know (again) that energy independence is crucial to our security.

Energy saving information and products seem to be begging for a little affiliate ingenuity and elbow grease. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    I giggled about that too...
    Energy saving information and products seem to be begging for a little affiliate ingenuity and elbow grease. :-)
    See - now THAT is what you call proactive thinking!!! I'd love to see a thread where we can all discuss ideas / suggestions related to products and services in the energy savings arena - that'd be ABW at its best! You are something Donuts...

I agree that our proactive response to all this is to figure out what people are going to need and want info about in the upcoming "adjustment" period. There's always money to be made by someone in any economic climate. We just have to respond.

I'm delighted that for once, I'm sitting in a 2 person shop that can turn on a dime, so-to-speak, and re-work anything that needs it without attending a conference on "managing change" first.

I'm loving this thread.

A friend of mine and I have been in deep economic discussions such as this lately and frankly, it's fascinating. I'll keep my eye on this discussion.

And yes, we're planning on re-financing soon.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

I hear ya Judi!!! nice to be mobile isn't it?! I'm awaiting a call from my finance guy to see if we can me down to 5.25, which could happen by weeks end or beginning of next week.

I was discussing the stimulus package concept with an RE agent last week and I mentioned that I would not be surprised if the fed cut the rate 3/4 of a point. He scoffed at my suggestion saying that 1/4 - 1/2 would be the first step. I got an email from him about an hour ago to let me know he is having a lunch of Caesar Salad & Crow... yummmmmm

The Fed meets Jan 29 and I would not be too surprised if they drop another 1/4 point either. They have to act very quickly and very agressively this time as the world markets do not have the luxury (other than OPEC) of a phased "try this and see" reduction strategy like Greenspan used for so many years. Due to record highs on the DOW, NASDAQ, S&P etc, this one could be a huge tumble if it is not nipped in the bud most expeditiously.

On the "upside" - other than D's excellent proactive observations, for those who perhaps are young and / or have not invested over the years to offset fluctuations in our economy, I would anticipate a maxed out stimulus package coming out of DC very soon. Other than interest reductions, some agressive tax reductions are on the way.

We will never see an end to fluctuations and adjustment periods as economies emerge, expand and then adjust. But as this one goes, this is a good year to deal with it as it is an election year and both parties can get a lot of traction on a big turnaround - so they'll be going for the max!! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Hamilton
    We will never see an end to fluctuations and adjustment periods as economies emerge, expand and then adjust. But as this one goes, this is a good year to deal with it as it is an election year and both parties can get a lot of traction on a big turnaround - so they'll be going for the max!! ;-)
    Not to mention that it's a great time to buy cheap stock!! Though, you probably already had that in mind.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Quote Originally Posted by meadowmufn
    Not to mention that it's a great time to buy cheap stock!! Though, you probably already had that in mind.
    = February 4th

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread