Most Clicked Link Type
    For what it's worth, I have a couple of my sites set up to place all clickthroughs to the merchant site into a database table. I record the product name, time, link type, etc. I was curious this morning because of an earlier post by Mr. C, so I did the math to see what link type is clicked on the most. Here is what I found:

(This is sales based site, no real content to speak of, that shows a similar product and styles of that products from about a dozen merchants, most offering coupons)

Link types and their rankings:

Product Picture 75%
    Merchant Name 8%
    "Learn More" Link 7%
    Coupon Description 4%
    Product Price 3%
    Product Name 2%
    Coupon Code 1%

I was a little shocked how much the product picture was clicked rather than the name, which ranked second to last. I, myself, am a name clicker. It just goes to show that we need to put ourselves in our visitor's shoes to find out what they do and want. I realize other factors go into this as well, site layout for one.

Just a little food for thought,
    Bettylou

ABW Ambassador
    With "no real content to speak of" you would think "Learn More" would be the winner...

Fascinating. Thanks for sharing your findings.

I'm not too surprised at the dominance of the pictures/photos as a click source, though. I honestly believe most people are far more visually oriented than we give them credit for.

Literacy is a wonderful thing -- but coloring books and photo albums are always still good sellers.
    Generate more fake news.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    I do something similar, where I have a activity table that lists info on what was clicked.

I have found that 55.6% of the clicks are on merchant banners and the rest are text links.

55.6% - Clicked on Banner Links
    44.4% - Clicked on Text Links

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts
    I do something similar, where I have a activity table that lists info on what was clicked.

I have found that 55.6% of the clicks are on merchant banners and the rest are text links.

Out of curiousity, if you don't mind my asking, when you say banner, are you refering to an advertisement style banner, such as a skyscraper or similar.

I am just wondering because it has been pounded into the heads of affiliates that consumers don't even see this type of banner anymore. That text links far outweigh the clickthrough rate of banners. But your findings totally conflict with that statement. That is quite interesting to me.

Bettylou

bettylou,

When I say banner, I am referring to the banners that I get from LS, CJ, SAS, and Perfomics for each of my Merchants.

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts

SeymourButts, that is a stunning stat. I don't have a number specifically but gut feeling is a true banner ad vs. text/context ad there is no comparison. I may get a hand full of banner clicks a month while I get hundreds of text/context ads.

I actually made a sale last month from a banner ad on a site and I almost fainted when I saw it.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

My stats are based on the last 10,000 clicks in the database.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I would like to know is, what percent of each kind of click actually converted to sales?

I too have read studies that text links are clicked on more but my site stats tell me something different. My site is a coupon site, so I have the felxibility of placing banners, text links and product pictures, etc.
    What I've seen is this:

Product Picture Links receive the highest clickthroughs and conversions
    Banners are next followed by text links.

Even when a text link dominates clickthroughs on a certain page, the conversion rate is far less then the other two linking methods.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread