ABW Ambassador
    How about an ABW forum on blogging and social marketing?
    They're an increasingly popular medum and will continue to grow, and imho ABW would be a good place for such a forum. Without a doubt there would be significant, helpful contributions and information shared, and there would also no doubt be an emphasis on best practices - and best of all: no horsehockey would get by unchallenged.
    Last edited by webworker; January 23rd, 2008 at 11:22 PM.

Social networking/marketing exists in a "quasi state" in the Web 2.0 forum.

Does blogging require its own forum or could that be handled in the Midnight sub forum or other existing sub forum?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    The web2.0 forum is kind of social marketing but I would like to see one devoted to blogging and we can talk about the social stuff there too I guess. What are some topics you think could be discussed? I had a few in mind, like a step by step tutorial on setting up a blog with your own hosting. Talk about all the plugins available, Wordpress has lots of them. Some do's and don't. Was reading elsewhere about permalinks and to be careful with that, wasn't sure what they were talking about.

"Does blogging require its own forum or could that be handled in the Midnight sub forum or other existing sub forum?"

I think it could have a devoted one, to keep it all in one place. Depends how others feel on it.

ABW Ambassador
    I was actually going to suggest "Blogging and C*ntent Development" but I was afraid to.

ABW Ambassador
    I like that one too.

Also what Writerguy posted in another thread:

"As a guy who just spent 2 or 3 hours struggling to find exactly the WP theme I wanted, then tearing out the little hair remaining on my Old Fat Bald Guy's head to make a couple of modifications "

So many out there. Where the good ones are, how to tweak them, all that stuff.

Trust, those sound like good ideas

People have all types of questions concerning creating a site and/or blog.
    The questions are not always answered in the "review sub forum."

Marcia's ideas about blogging and content development sound interesting.

Perhaps a sub forum where members could develop an idea about how to do something -- a "Sounding Board" forum.

I once suggested a Graphic Workshop sub forum
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...light=graphics

The Graphics workshop can be correlated to creating graphics for a WordPress theme etc...

I think some members get stuck on creating either a site or a blog in the beginning stages and would appreciate a sub forum to discuss ideas in development.

People often have questions in terms of setting up a web design/blog and they also have questions about creating content etc...
    Last edited by Rhia7; January 23rd, 2008 at 11:42 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I'd love to see a sub-forum for Wordpress. It seems like I'm always replying to the same (newbie) questions over and over.

I've started adding posts about stuff like this to one of my websites (not listed in my profile), but it isn't like anyone would find it, so here would be better.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    I like that one too.

Also what Writerguy posted in another thread:

"As a guy who just spent 2 or 3 hours struggling to find exactly the WP theme I wanted, then tearing out the little hair remaining on my Old Fat Bald Guy's head to make a couple of modifications "

So many out there. Where the good ones are, how to tweak them, all that stuff.
    And what lostdeviant replied to writerguy:

yes, most questions are pretty simple really. I honestly find Wordpress to be very simple. I've edited different themes including one I use the most. Of course, I might ask to log in to the site in question to figure out what was messed up by someone poking around the PHP without any reason.

I am not including the making of plugins in my offer for help since I'm not a programmer. I'm a coder/designer/artist. I'm not a writer like both of you.

Wordpress tip #1: If you find yourself having trouble modifying a Wordpress theme, try editing a different one.

I had trouble editing a theme. The problem was the theme. I went and edited a similar theme very easily and got the results I wanted.
    Actually, there are also some Content Management Systems that double up as blogs, and pros and cons about a lot of the open source systems out there.

Movable Type is now open source and free again, and another two are snews (too hard for me to figure out the MySQL) and modx, which is an open source, very configurable CMS.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    I once suggested a Graphic Workshop sub forum
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...light=graphics

The Graphics workshop can be correlated to creating graphics for a WordPress theme etc...
    FYI - Wordpress themes use standard formats for graphics .jpg or .gif would work fine :-)

Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    I'd love to see a sub-forum for Wordpress. It seems like I'm always replying to the same (newbie) questions over and over.
    Lostdeviant has a good idea.

The WordPress sub-forum could address the types of questions he has come across plus any content development issues could apply to all blogs in general.

Marcia mentioned CMS possibilities: some people are interested in Joomla, Drupal, or whatever is out there. If a CMS sub forum existed, people could ask questions about different CMS software and applications.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Perhaps it would be better to have a CMS forum with subforums for each kind including blog-CMSes.

FYI - Drupal made a bad blog, I experimented with it months ago. It has a feature which automatically cuts your posts short. Its admin sucks too.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    Perhaps it would be better to have a CMS forum with subforums for each kind including blog-CMSes.
    Or both combined into one for a time: Blogs and Content Management, because there really can be a cross-over in function.

And then if one has a LOT of stuff in particular a sub-forum could be added, like what's done with the OPM forums who end up with client site forums "under" their main one. I'd guess that it would mainly be WordPress simply because if its popularity and the number of plugins and themes that are available, but I can't really recall much about others.

If all the WP and CMS threads scattered around ABW were gathered up into one new forum, I bet it would start out as a "full house," there have been so many over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcia
    Or both combined into one for a time: Blogs and Content Management, because there really can be a cross-over in function.
    A general sub forum [Blogs and Content Management] would be a good idea.
    The sub forum could always be broken down into more specifics as necessary.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Is blogging directly related to affiliate marketing, though? Yes, blogging software is sometimes used by affiliate marketers as a CMS, and mainstream bloggers often use affiliate programs as one of various methods to generate revenue...but the relationship between blogging and affiliate marketing is usually not much closer than that.

I think a more general forum -- perhaps something like "Site Management" -- could fit better (or "Site Building"? "Site Development"?). That would also cover other CMS platforms as well as content.

If/when the Wordpress/CMS threads are moved out of the Web 2.0 forum, there won't be much left there other than social media marketing...so that forum could just be renamed to reflect that.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Blogging isn't "directly related" to affiliate marketing, but neither is Google (that's SEO) or AdSense (that's PPC), and there's forums here for those.

I think it'd be cool if there was an ABW blogging forum, because all the other ones I've seen suck like an Electrolux in one way or another.

Also some blog forums are run by particular blog-oriented advertising companies--and discussion of *other* such companies is forbidden. So there's pretty much nowhere all the blog-oriented advertising companies can be discussed like we do with (to?) networks and merchants.

It'd be nice to bring a blogging forum here, where us real marketers wouldn't have to read through a bunch of crap about things like whether we "disclose" or "nofollow" and it's not only accepted, but is a presumed fact that "the blog being discussed is there to make money"--and that doing so is indeed GOOD!

oooooh definitely would love it if there was a forum, sub-forum, whatever on blogging and content development

Hopefully I'm gonna get brave enough this year to attempt one so have lots and lots of questions. What Trust said:
    "step by step tutorial on setting up a blog with your own hosting. Talk about all the plugins available, Wordpress has lots of them. Some do's and don't. Was reading elsewhere about permalinks and to be careful with that, wasn't sure what they were talking about."

Definitely were questions I had since I don't have a clue how to go about making a blog yet and everything that's involved with it. Am sure, I'll have lots of questions. lol

Rhia7 said: " I once suggested a Graphic Workshop sub forum
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthrea...hlight=graphics"

yeap, I was interested in that, also.

Really hope you guys who are in charge of these things do set this up, really would love it and think it's a great idea

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Blogging isn't "directly related" to affiliate marketing, but neither is Google (that's SEO) or AdSense (that's PPC), and there's forums here for those.
    The difference is that SEM is very relevant to most affiliate marketers, but the same can not be said of blogging.

But if there's no good place out there for those AM's that do happen to be interested in blogging to discuss it, then that may be reason enough to have a dedicated forum here instead of putting those discussions in a Web 2.0 or a Social Media Marketing forum.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    I'm ready!

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    There are lots of blogs and themes and Wordpress issues that we definitely should have one here for those in affiliate marketing and developing sites for affiliate marketing.

There are many out there that just concentrate on SEO and blogging and talking about their pets and how their new dance lessons are coming along, but I also see more sites being built just for affiliate marketing programs with links, banners and using datafeed tools too.

I just finished installing Joomla 1.5, having used earlier versions.

I would love to see a CMS forum which relates to affiliate marketing, the Joomla forum is great for tech issues, but not on the application of the CMS itself.

Respectfully,

John
    Respectfully,

John

----------------------------------------------
    work = Initiate Demand
    passion = Global Ground Work

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread