Fine Line - Successful Pay Per Lead?
    Good afternoon, I need some affiliate guidance!

I am a SAS Merchant and I am in the process of launching a new Pay Per Lead program for our New Mover Marketing company. My first thought was to offer $15.00 per "Contact Us" form filled out. Then I started to wonder if affiliates might take advantage of this and just have their friends fill out the leads or fill them out themselves using a list of businesses. We will certainly pay for a qualified lead, but I also don't want to go overboard with a strict disclaimer that will scare away possible affiliates. We want the "Contact Us" to be filled out by a legit business (Pizza Shop, Auto Repair, Restaurant owner, etc...) What is the best way to approach this? Does a disclaimer like this scare you away? Am I being too paranoid/cynical? Should the dollar amount be lower per lead, then just pay for whatever and hope some decent leads come in? I truly appriciate any feedback!

Best regards,
    Steve

You're correct. They will try to take advantage. Depending upon the value of the lead, you can use a lead verification service to validate the lead in real time. This service costs from $0.03 to upwards of a dollar per lead depending upon the level of verification you're looking for. One of my sister companies offers this service and I'd be happy to make an introduction.

As far as a per lead deal, you really don't want to drive traffic straight to your contact us page. You'd be better off building a special landing page for your lead gen efforts. Make sure you can tie the leads back to individual affiliates to continually assess data quality.

You also want to make sure that affiliates aren't allowed to prepopulate any fields, and make sure to list in the I/O or offer terms that incentivization isn't allowed. Also, add some drop downs for the consumer to make sure they're REALLY interested. Examples (I'm assuming when you say "new mover" you mean "recently moved into a new house or apartment"):

> YES I have moved in the last [x] days and I'd like more information!
    > I am moving in one week.
    > I am thinking about relocating.

You can use more options from there, but of those three, select your best targeted consumer and only pay affiliates for those that provide the desired data.

-Joe
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly, LLC 702.407.0707 joe.lilly at partnerweekly.com
    PartnerWeekly

Joe,

Thanks for the advice! I am both happy and sad that my cynicism was correct. I would definitely like more info on the lead verification service. I was already thinking about a landing page specific to this program, so I will continue to work on that for sure.

I don’t understand what you mean by “prepopulate” or “Incentivization”….?

Can’t we reverse transactions if we see Joe’s Pizza turn in 14 leads in a row? Why would an affiliate do that? (if that’s what you mean by prepopulate)

We are a direct mail marketing company that sends a welcome letter/gift certificate from local businesses to new movers in their area. We wouldn’t be directly marketing to the mover, we are a B2B. Sorry, let me try to simplify this:

Joe’s Pizza starts our program, (no contract, no set-up fees), we design them a personalized welcome letter/gift certificate. They choose the area they want to mail (zip or mile radius). New movers in the area get the welcome letter and gift certificate and go to Joe’s Pizza since they are new in the area and might not know where else to go. Joe’s Pizza provides courteous, friendly service & good food, and hopefully turns this New Mover into a repeat long-term customer.

I am not sure if our program is too niche for affiliates? But results from Google AdWords have been decreasing, so I figured I’d try this. Do you think it would be worthwhile to put the time and money behind this SAS program?

Steve

Why don't you just buy monthly access to the NCOA?
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly

National Change Of Address? How would that generate leads of businesses interested in marketing to these new movers?

Because once you move you put in an address change?
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly

Oh....I misread. You're not looking for CONSUMER leads you're looking for the BUSINESSES. Sorry!
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly

Hey Steve, I would suggest doing a controlled test with a few affiliates who you trust or some in-house media buys. These will allow you to establish some average metrics, specifically your lead to sale ratio.

Make sure, as Joe said, to track each of the leads to an affiliate account and as soon as you have lead to close ratios established, you can use those to measure the affiliate traffic. So if you close 5 in every 10 leads and all of a sudden a certain affiliate is generating leads with a 1 in 10 ratio, you know something is wrong. Also, make sure your call center or follow-up system is verifying where or how the person heard of you.

But definitely keep the leads capped for a while until you know your closing ratios.

good luck.
    Danay @ LunaSolMedia.com
    Global Perfomance Marketing. Global Niche Markets = Opportunity!
    HispanicYa!|MallFreebies

I dwell in possibility. ~Emily Dickinson

B2B is a niche in and of itself, although there are some quality affiliates willing to play with it, especially if you allow DTM PPC (Direct to Merchant Pay Per Click).

That said, I would recommend that require a qualified EIN in the lead form, and reverse the commission if it doesn't check out AND you can't contact the lead.

Yup. People will try to take advantage. But having a higher reversal rate in a PPL program is not uncommon or necessarily bad.

Just ensure that you take good care of your honest affiliates. If they have a reversal rate of 5% while your program average is much higher, they'll stick with you. It just requires more management.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Great, thanks for the tips... I appriciate them!

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread