Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Anybody Tried Dragon NaturallySpeaking
    I just saw a feature on this on CNBC and it looks like it would be great for anyone doing a lot of content. NaturallySpeaking claims a 99% accuracy with out having to train the thing. I'm wondering if anyone is using it or has given it a try.

I have it is was hard as hell to learn it in the beginning, once I got used to speaking how it needed me to, it was GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!

Now mind you I still prefer typing it to speaking it, as some of the grammatical mistakes and punctuation errors it makes, are frustrating to correct.

But if you are in need of a program like this, then Dragon Naturally Speaking is the best.

I have it is was hard as hell to learn it in the beginning
    Was that recently or way back because the news guy made it sound really easy?

It was about two years ago

Outsourced Program Manager Angel Djambazov's Avatar
    I bought mine last summer. Works really well for typing. Has several problems with various ims and it claims to have some surfing ability but is not really functional for that. However for extended typing, works very well and is vary trainable even when it comes to "marketing speak" or other lingo.
    Angel Djambazov
    Managing Edtior ReveNews
    OPM for Keen Shoes and Graphicly.com

Smile I have used dragonspeak
    There is a learning curve and it is a great tool for getting words onto the screen without using your hands. It is ideal for my quadriplegic friend.

You have to be careful about varying your voice expressions because the dragon will misunderstand, but it learns fast.

Proof reading and correcting errors works best if you finish what you started first and then GO BACK to check it. It can be very frustrating if you are correcting AND dictating all at the same time.

It CAN surf but that is not its strength. Once you learn its language and it learns yours the thing feels natural and not dragon like.

Maybe that is how it got its name???

If I broke my wrist, I would buy it in a minute to continue writing my articles.

Let me know how it goes for you. It is better now than the first edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Angel
    I bought mine last summer.
    Which edition do you have. There is a pretty good price jump between the two.

about dragon speak
    I used my friend's naturally speaking dragon program, and since she died a couple of years ago, I no longer have access to that information.

Perhaps knowing that, you can tell which edition we were using.

Sorry I cannot be more specific. She was a pioneer with them and used some of their prototypes so I don't know which one we were finally using.

I know it costs. She got a grant from the disabilities office for hers.

http and a telephoto
    Has anyone tried the speech recognition software that comes with Vista yet? I have Dragon but you can only use it on one computer so haven't installed it on this one yet.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

No Longer Banned!
    Speach Recognition....
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    Has anyone tried the speech recognition software that comes with Vista yet? I have Dragon but you can only use it on one computer so haven't installed it on this one yet.
    Loxly

I haven't my self, no. I see it on there but I normally use DreamLinux for my every day tasks cuz Vista can't be trusted. However, I'm very interested in using it and so I'll be following this topic quite closely.

BTW: there are places like click cool deals in florida that sell these at reasonable prices too. On the windows Vista model, do you just plug in the head phones and start typing I wonder ?

Steve

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveWilliams
    On the windows Vista model, do you just plug in the head phones and start typing I wonder ?

Steve
    Any voice recognition software requires training. I will probably work on training and testing it this weekend. Typing is one of the things that aggravates my back and I have been told I am a pretty good talker sometimes (no comments from the peanut gallery please, lol) so if I sit down and concentrate I should be able to crank out some quality stuff rather quickly.
    Deborah Carney

No Longer Banned!
    Loxly's Speak Easy 6......
    Any voice recognition software requires training. I will probably work on training and testing it this weekend. Typing is one of the things that aggravates my back and I have been told I am a pretty good talker sometimes (no comments from the peanut gallery please, lol) so if I sit down and concentrate I should be able to crank out some quality stuff rather quickly.
    Loxly

OK. So beyond the learning curve aspect of the software, is there any addt'l set up you gotta do since it is already included in the Vista programme ?

I primarily use DreamLinux, so you must TELL DreamLinux that the programme exists and tell it basically why then you must specify exactly HOW you want it to work. Vista, I realise, Tends to be far more plug and play so I wondered if you needed to add anything beyond a set of head phones.

Steve

http and a telephoto
    Loxly

OK. So beyond the learning curve aspect of the software, is there any addt'l set up you gotta do since it is already included in the Vista programme ?
    Did I mention I *haven't* tried it yet?

I assume it's all ready to go and I just have to plug in the headphones, however, I do not know because I have not tried it yet.

And don't get me started on Linux.....
    Deborah Carney

Affiliate Manager PingoPrepaidCallingCards's Avatar
    I almost bought it on ebay one day. but never did.

I head Seth Godin talk about a new start up, Jott dot com. You can program a phone number and call in and leave a 30 second message, then an offshore human will write it and email it to you or you can do something to get your comments posted on twitter or your blog.

its not the same to this service. but a nice service.
    Brian Hawkins AM @ [URL=http://www.pingo.com/affiliate.do]Pingo[/URL] Earn up to $35 CPA for a [URL=http://www.pingo.com/p/onedollar/onedollar.html]$1 trial offer[/URL]!
    [URL=http://www.twitter.com/TelecomAgents]@TelecomAgents[/URL] [URL=http://www.twitter.com/telephonecard]@TelephoneCard[/URL]

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    I'm really glad to see these tremendous advances in speaking software applications.

My daughter lost most of her eyesight by age 12 (1989) and we were able to obtain some of the earliest speaking software pioneered by Berkeley Systems in the early 1990s. I cannot recall the name of the software, but it was very expensive and extremely difficult to use, but helped her considerably through high school, By the time she got to college, as I recall, other systems had surpassed Berkeley's, but they were the first of its kind, at least that was available to people in my daughter's situation.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

No Longer Banned!
    And don't get me started on Linux.....
    Loxly

Linux is the best.

What are your thoughts ?

Steve

http and a telephoto
    Loxly

Linux is the best.

What are your thoughts ?
    not gonna go there. do a search

Plus it's off topic.
    Deborah Carney

Which edition do you have. There is a pretty good price jump between the two.
    I have 8.0 that i bought last year on Ebay. I was very happy with it. It wasn't perfect, and I didn't expect it to be. But it saved me time, and was very comfortable to use. No wrist or back pain from bad posture...

I got a cheap pair of headphones+mic by Logitech recommended on Amazon. But I can't find a model number printed on this set right now.

Well I got Dragon version 10 today, and I'm using it to write this post. It's not magic but it seems to work pretty good. I wanted to try for myself, and I have a friend that had a stroke and she writes for a living. She only has use of one hand, and I'm thinking this would be a blessing for her.

Sweet the first paragraph was without error. I'm also thinking that if it was easy to make content with Dragon I might do more of it. Later on tonight I think I'll try a blog post with it.

My biggest problem was the headset microphone fighting with my WebCam microphone for control. I got frustrated and disconnected the web cam.

If this thing works, my posture will only get worse.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpaw
    Well I got Dragon version 10 today, and I'm using it to write this post. It's not magic but it seems to work pretty good. I wanted to try for myself, and I have a friend that had a stroke and she writes for a living. She only has use of one hand, and I'm thinking this would be a blessing for her.

Sweet the first paragraph was without error. I'm also thinking that if it was easy to make content with Dragon I might do more of it. Later on tonight I think I'll try a blog post with it.

My biggest problem was the headset microphone fighting with my WebCam microphone for control. I got frustrated and disconnected the web cam.

If this thing works, my posture will only get worse.
    Funny, while reading this post I felt compelled to pronunciate every word precisely and not run any of them together.

Years ago I installed a similar program. It took almost two hours to train and worked pretty well but somehow the keyboard seemed less strenuous to use, and I always worried about it misrepresenting my words so had to proofread a lot.

X

http and a telephoto
    I've been using the software built into Vista and it is pretty much as good as Dragon 9, but I haven't pushed any of them to the limits with using them for commands, mostly just for dictation.

I also haven't tried using either to transcribe a podcast yet.
    Deborah Carney

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PingoPrepaidCallingCards
    I almost bought it on ebay one day. but never did.

I head Seth Godin talk about a new start up, Jott dot com. You can program a phone number and call in and leave a 30 second message, then an offshore human will write it and email it to you or you can do something to get your comments posted on twitter or your blog.

its not the same to this service. but a nice service.
    I tried Jott, and I loved it Haven't used it for much yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes!
    best,
    Carolyn
    ShareASale Client Services
    Y!: SAS_CTang
    e: ctang(at)shareasale.com

I've been waiting on 10 to come out, ordered a new mic the other day.

Get a good price bumpaw?
    [url=http://www.drastictactics.com/]Drastic Tactics[/url] - Performance Marketing Since 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Drastic
    Get a good price bumpaw?
    It's not on their website, but if you phone in the sales person will give you the Preferred edition for $99 instead of the $199 advertised. I'm not sure how much better it is than the Standard edition, but I took it.

Awesome! Thanks for the info, that's what I needed.

Preferred has some worthy extras:

1) Can upgrade from this version - Standard users much purchase full version to upgrade
    2) Functionality for apps like Excel
    3) Text to speech - listen to proofread your work
    4) Can create macros

there are more, but those were the most important to me. You definitely got the right version.

Product matrix comparison:
    http://www.nuance.com/naturallyspeak...uct-matrix.asp
    [url=http://www.drastictactics.com/]Drastic Tactics[/url] - Performance Marketing Since 1998

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast