Many of our receipts/invoices contain our websites URLs in them. I consider them as sensitive information and will try my best to kept them from people knowledge. Esp. those who know I make money from it, including everyone who post here, hehe

But I want to seek your experience when handling these receipts with your accountants. Do I need to removed them from my receipts before passing to them? Or is it legal to remove those URLs? What should I do?

I think people here really need to get a grip.

Yes, Heyder.
    Am I missing something?

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here

me too

lol

RedFish, I really don't get the question. Are you saying that because your invoices have URLs on them that there is some sort of breech of privacy or ABW rules? If so, then I understand what Hyder was saying.

If this is in the US, then your accountant has a responsibility to keep your stuff confidential anyway, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Fred

"Zymurgy's Law of Volunteer Labor: People are always available for work in the past tense."

not breech of privacy or any ABW rules, is just that affiliates won't tell people, 'hey! this is my site, I make $$$ from it'. Then in another google update, you will see 10 copy-cat sites.

Of course I would choose not to tell my accoutant which and where is my website that generate the amount of money that he will see. So, my point is, is it OK to delete those URLs and keep my site secret?

From our standpoint, the more people who see the site the better, so we'll take the publicity. Saaaaaay, maybe you could just substitute phillyBurbs.com for your URL.

Just a thought.

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here

RedFish, I think if you're concerned that your accountant might take your URL and financial data and somehow reveal that to potential competitors, then you need a new accountant. This should be a non-issue.

Besides, when evaluating whether expenses are deductible and such like, there's a fair chance they're going to have to see what it is you're doing at each site if they're to do their job properly.

If you want to copy an affiliate site, just go to the search engine and search for a product you want to sell. Any affiliate site that comes up in the top 10 is probably a good choice. Just remember if your lowlife copied site ranks as well, you will be caught.

better yet just come up with a program to overwrite affiliate links.

Heck, I have my website url and a small advertising blip on all my checks.
    I have lots of people notice and ask about it at the grocery store and stuff. Helps bring in some traffic. If you are so worried about people finding out about your website, why bother having one. The idea is for people to know, right? So they can come there?

Connie Berg
    http://www.flamingoworld.com

ABW Ambassador
    My accountant still does not know what I do despite me telling him a million times.

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

Redfish,

If you are trying to HIDE information about how you earned income from your accountant, your accountant could hold you liable for FRAUD if you are ever investigated by the IRS (At least in the US).

When you hire an accountant to help you with your books or taxes, you are obligated to be truthful with that accountant. If you lie or withhold information, your accountant has absolutely no responsibility for the accuracy of the results they produce.

Everyone repeat after me: "Accountants are not hired to sniff out fraud. Accountants are hired to make sure the reported numbers are booked in the right columns on the balance and income statements."

As Buy_Online said earlier, if you are fearful that your accountant will steal your affiliate ideas, you need a new accountant. However, if your accountant isn't already earning a boatload of income from their accounting service such that they need to start doing affiliate sales, perhaps he isn't a very good accountant anyway.

L4

Everywhere you go, leave someone or something better than you found it.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>As Buy_Online said earlier, if you are fearful that your accountant will steal your affiliate ideas, you need a new accountant. However, if your accountant isn't already earning a boatload of income from their accounting service such that they need to start doing affiliate sales, perhaps he isn't a very good accountant anyway. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto!

Your accountant should be doing well enough that he's not tempted to start putting up sites.

It should be nothing like the prospect of, say, revealing your URL on a boardful of competitors already in the same business. If it is, find another accountant. The one you pick should have so much *accounting* business, that by the time he's done the LAST thing he wants to do is start typing out sites.

~Revenue is King

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> As Buy_Online said earlier, if you are fearful that your accountant will steal your affiliate ideas, you need a new accountant. However, if your accountant isn't already earning a boatload of income from their accounting service such that they need to start doing affiliate sales, perhaps he isn't a very good accountant anyway. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for this great point, then I should look for an accountant that make a lot from their accouting business! But their clerks might be intersted!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by perfectG:
    My accountant still does not know what I do despite me telling him a million times.

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL love it...

I thnink that more links, more publicity (and sales, of course).

Oskars

Rosalind Gardner earned $436,797 in 2002 by promoting only affiliate programs. She reveals ALL her secrets step by step in her Super Affiliate Handbook (267 pages) www.renio.biz/rosalind/

ABW Ambassador
    Heh heh, spend some time trying to recruit them as a sub-affiliate for something and you'll scare them off!

Seriously, I think the odds are vanishingly small that someone who saw your URL in such a context would have enough cyber-savvy to become your competitor even if they wanted to. Just think about how hard it is to recruit sub-affiliates who know what they're doing, even when you make friends in a context like ABW!

A person from the general population who looks up your URL is more likely to become a customer than a competitor.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread