Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Given up on adsense!
    Is there anyone here making some serious money with adsense???
    I have given up on adsense. The payout is so little. I get about 80 clicks/day and earn less than $10/day.
    That's the reason why I decided to move to affiliate marketing. Trying to monetize your website through PPC programs is a waste of time.

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    To each his own.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    It is difficult to make a living on Adsense. I'd be thrilled to make $9/day with adsense and I suppose it will reach that eventually when I work more content in.

I think of Adsense as extra money. It is a trickle, but it comes in every day. I don't always make an affiliate sale every day.

Keep Adsense supplemental. Affiliate Marketing #1, Adsense and similar #2.

I view AdSense as providing value in several ways.

First, it does generate some income. It's not a lot of income, and certainly not enough to live on, but it's money. The effective CPM (eCPM) might be ten cents or ten dollars, but it's more than you'd collect if there was no advertising there.

Second, it provides a third-party source of traffic and ad-performance data, which you can use to show other potential advertisers.

Third, it can actually "add credibility" to some web sites, by showing an association with Google advertisements. Not a lot, not for everyone, but it's something.

Fourth (and perhaps this is really the most important), it requires no maintenance. You plug it in, and it works. You don't need to make changes when one advertiser goes out of business. You don't need to change settings if the theme or focus of your site shifts -- Google picks up each page's subject and plugs in relevant ads (not always, and for some sites not often, but better than any other maintenance-free solution I've seen).

Brother Z - can you expand what type of site you are running that is generating $10 for 80 clicks? Not sure if I would give up a little virtual realestate for not doing ANYTHING for $3,650 a year! If anything, I would create 10 more and duplicate whatever your doing! Don't give up - keep improving it!

Fourth (and perhaps this is really the most important), it requires no maintenance. You plug it in, and it works. You don't need to make changes when one advertiser goes out of business. You don't need to change settings if the theme or focus of your site shifts -- Google picks up each page's subject and plugs in relevant ads (not always, and for some sites not often, but better than any other maintenance-free solution I've seen).
    I agree 100% on all that!

:-)

I heard you can make some good money with those adsense folks.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

I hardly make any money off of Adsense, but I do get my hosting bills paid for. For the amount of work I've put into Adsense over the past 2 years (none), I'm pretty happy with that.

It was much easier a few years ago to do better with Adsense, before Adwords advertisers realized that overall conversions were much better with search ads -vs- content ads.

Then again I know of several people who do very well with Adsense as a significant portion of their revenue.

So don't give up on it, just take it for what it is, a nice little revenue stream that can offset some of your overhead costs and focus your ongoing development on a more profitable enterprise.

$10 a day for how many pages? Try doubling the number of pages and seeing if your google $$ doubles. Then try trippling it, or building another site using what you've learned from this site.

That would be $10 more than I had before. All you have to do is ad it to your site and you get a bit of pocket change. What's the prob?

I wouldn't reccommend scrapping it....$9 a day x 5 days = a tank of gas that probably lasts you a week...think of your adsense income as your gas money....would you turn away free gas if it was only $9 worth of gas a day (US average of 3 gallons a day)? Or even $5 of gas a day (US average of 1.85 gallons a day)?

I do very little - very little maintenance, that is, with AdSense. But I do smile every month when Direct Deposit hits the bank.

AdSense is not as lucrative as it was two years ago, because of what r2pro mentioned in a post above, but I still look on it as "found money." I would not like to try to "sell" the ad space where I have the ad units. With the attendant selling, billing and service issues I would waste a lot of time.

Last year I began "rotating" several of my ad unit placements with a combination of affiliate banners and text links and it has not seemed to hurt the AdSense at all. But I have picked up additional affiliate sales.

So, just how worthwhile is it? Last year I took "early retirement" after 22 years from a large school system in Maryland to work on Aff Marketing full time. I bailed out early, did not wait until 62 or 65, so the pension amount is reduced a bit - but Google paid me more in 2007 that the State Retirement System did.

Am I a happy camper? Yes.

So, keep up with it. Replicate that site and/or add more pages of content - and monetize those pages with AdSense. It still provides a good ROI, especially considering the small amount of time required to implement and maintain the ads.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Even if you earned as little as $10 in a month, it would more than likely cover some or all of the costs for your web site. Perhaps you are simply looking for ways to add additional revenue to your website, then it's perfect for that situation too.

I created a couple of adsense sites over two years ago. Pretty much gave up on them. But out of the blue..TODAY I received a check in the mail from Google for $115!

And just when I decided to get back into AM and put up a new site yesterday. Do I believe in Karma?! He!! Yes!!

Adsense is all about your subject. I have some movie sites and so the payout is not so good, around $.08 per click. I'm sure travel sites do better with it.

Make sure your plugging in their search function also.

I would be very happy if I had a site that was bringing in ten bucks a day!

And that is the site I would model to make another ... and then rinse and repeat.

That $300 a month income is a car payment plus a meal.

Another idea: how about adding Kontera links on those same pages?

I have a site that's generating between $5 and $10 a day from adsense, and another $2 - $5 a day from Kontera links (not to mention the affiliate sales that come in at about $20 - $50 a day).

Just a thought. You can give it a test spin and see if it affects your google clicks, but I haven't noticed any decline in google clicks from having Kontera links in the same article.

Less is best in general, but in this case the Kontera links don't add too much in my opinion, and are a different style of advertising than adsense because they're inline links vs ad sections.

Might as well take as much advantage of the real estate as much as you can

Quote Originally Posted by RickPlmr
    Another idea: how about adding Kontera links on those same pages?

Less is best in general, but in this case the Kontera links don't add too much in my opinion, and are a different style of advertising than adsense because they're inline links vs ad sections.

Might as well take as much advantage of the real estate as much as you can
    Thanks, Rick, I'm thinking about Kontera
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

They've recently improved their reports significantly, but it does take about 2 weeks to get initial approval into their program. Might as well get the process started if you're thinking about it

One other thing - the most profitable type of adsense placement across all of my sites has been the embedded-in-the-upper-right corner of each article layout, and with text only. I use a div element with the float attribute, so that text wraps around it automatically.

YMMV, but that's proven to be the most profitable for me across a variety of different sites (not trying to hijack this thread... the thought just came to mind and seem related - hope it helps).

Thanks for the good tips, Rick
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Kontera
    I just recently installed Kontera on a site that is generating $5-$10/day from Adsense (like 5 days ago) and have found that I'm making about $1/day additional, with no drop in Adsense clicks.

So... not huge... (not even really little)... but hey, $1/day for the 1 minute it took me to install the code in my template and rebuild that site?

Kind of a no-brainer.

Maybe it will pick up as well as time goes along. We'll see!

Jonathan
    Last edited by loxly; March 14th, 2008 at 11:29 PM. Reason: deleted manual sig

Are you allowed to put adsense ads and Kontera ads on the same page?

Yes.
    In a word, yes.

Still haven't seen any drop in clicks on Adsense either.

This has been the experience of a couple of friends of mine as well who are each in the Adsense UPS club

(Before direct deposit, if you earned over 25k in a month, Adsense would send your check via UPS as soon as they closed out the month).

(As a friend of mine likes to say, That wouldn't suck!)

I currently make about $50 per day. While I would not be considered one of the "Top Earners", that is still pretty decent. Try some of the suggestions below.

Remember that the price per click is determined by the content. Financial offers will pay more than freebies, affiliate marketing, etc.

Try placing the ad directly in front of the visitor. I have a paragraph of content and then a 336X280 followed by the rest of the content.

Make your ads blend. If the links on your site are blue, your adsense links need to be blue as well. If the back ground of your page is white, the adsense background needs to be white. Get rid of the borders and make the ad look as integrated as possible.

Forget about the 468X60. Use the 336X280, 300X250, and the 728X90.

Make use of your competitive filter. You can add up to 200 links and this can be used to get rid of some of the low paying clicks.

Hope this helps
    Matt

ABW Ambassador
    I'm so glad brotherZ started this thread. Moved me to add adsense to my website, and today I've made $3.30 on 6 clicks, just 6!!! (And still haven't fully deployed it yet)
    Make use of your competitive filter. You can add up to 200 links and this can be used to get rid of some of the low paying clicks.
    Oohhh... now that's a really good idea. I think I have seen some that give less than 10 cents while others give over a dollar a click. Need to figure out and block the lower ones, lol.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast