HackerSafe
    I was just pitched by ScanAlert's Hackersafe program and their security service earlier today.

does anyone have any experience with the impact on sales of these security certifications? (does it boost revenue?)

Additionally I found it odd that a company that attempts to boost consumer confidence says they would not take paypal for payment as they said it was more secure to conduct the transaction over the phone

Just a thought

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    Phone is more secure than paypal?
    Gift Shopping Zone Affiliate Program on SAS - 10% per sale with unlimited cookie duration, over 10,000 products.

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    We reviewed it last summer, I called and they hounded us thereafter, sales people must work on a big comiss on HackerSafe's $1,800 fee.

The cost doesn't justify there seal, more over their name has to be the worst turn off for users it reminds them of being harmed online!

We use Trust Guard see

It was about $300 a year, they do check out several things like address by mailing a letter, callling the listed number etc.

Does it make a difference in sales? Hard to measure.
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    I believe the logo does build consumer confidence and there are studies that verify it. We have also A/B tested showing the logo in different locations and have seen noticeable patterns there too.

Consumers, it seems, have come to expect confidence builders.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    We use a paypal logo on most of our e-retail sites to boost customer confidence! . It truly is one of the most secure ways to make payments online - they offer both Buyer AND seller protection up to $2000.
    Gift Shopping Zone Affiliate Program on SAS - 10% per sale with unlimited cookie duration, over 10,000 products.

Talking
    As a customer, if I see that or not, it doesn't affect my decision to buy.
    a few links of interest...
    http://www.webmasterworld.com/webmaster/3542938.htm
    http://digg.com/business_finance/Gee...len?t=11851675

I just thought it was rather paradoxical that they were ensuring online safety, yet wouldn't take payment on line.

that was of course after telling me that if had been hosting my site with one of their channel partners, I would have gotten a discount......needless to say I shot back with.

"If one of my customers called me up and asked me for some promotion that recently ended, I would still honor it, so why dont you reconsider your previous offer to me"

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    I hung out with them for several hours at BlogWorld - they had a really cute Boothbabe - and they won me over

I watched them "pitch" dozens of people. But it wasn't really pitching. They were passionate about their product... and very knowledgable

I agree the price seems high - I'd be comfortble with $400 a year, but look at your competitors. Are they showing the logo? I see it everywhere I shop

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    I was going to implement it when I was at Wyndham Vacation Resorts. Did lots of research and I think one of the most prominent thing that I found was the petsco results.

They are able to provide some pretty nice reporting and also do A/B reporting for you for free.

See this PC World page

" Kennedy said. He noted that after being asked to do security assessments by 10 companies with Hacker Safe logos on their Web sites, SecureState was able to break into nine of the sites and easily access financial and customer data."

If you want to use it for marketing fine, although I believe the name scares people.

Also this month Geeks.com was cracked, there is some controvsy about how it happenned but being a 150M company I'm sure they will get to the bottom of it.

‘Hacker Safe’ Geeks.com Hacked, Hacker Safe Certification Doesn’t Mean 100% Safe

08 January 2008 | 23:59 | | | |
    Geeks.com, a Web site that still displays a banner from McAfee’s ScanAlert certifying that it is “Hacker Safe,” on Friday sent a letter to customers saying that it was hacked last month. “Genica dba Geeks.com (’Genica’) recently discovered on December 5, 2007 that customer information, including Visa credit card information, may have been compromised,” said a letter posted on The Consumerist from Jerry L. Harken, Genica’s chief of security, to an undisclosed number Geeks.com customers.
    Bob Pets Warehouse

I dont store any customer payment information at all, so that isnt too much of an issue for me.

I would expect the company to give me some good testing information, wouldnt be much of a sale pitch without it.

I'm looking for something a little more objective...

I tried it with one company a while back and it did indeed give a little bump in conversions. That's not to say that it would work with everyone, or every type of site really.

Personally, I believe it works best in a more e-commerce type environment as opposed to smaller sites with just a couple products. Additionally, you want to look at the demographics of your customers. Are they older folks that might be scared of giving their personal information (especially credit cards) over this new-fangled internet thingy, or are they younger people that don't think twice about it?

If I remember correctly, you can try it and if you don't get a bump in sales, you can get at least a portion of the fee back.

Brent

From a webmaster standpoint, I can see the value in it for the reasons that people have stated so far (though I also agree that having the word 'hacker' on the site can affect people, even if only subconsciously).

From a shopper standpoint, it makes no difference to me if the logo is there or not because I know that it's pretty meaningless, really. If the HS folks do not have a 100% record of keeping the bad people out, then their logo doesn't really mean anything - and since there have been numerous reports of some fairly big names getting hacked... 1 + 1 = 2. It's binary. Either you're "hack-proof" or you're not.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Affiliate Manager Julia_Shoeboxed's Avatar
    We are trying it out now and havent seen a noticeable increase.

Every site / product / demographic is different though however.

They do offer a 30-day money back guarantee, so you can decide for yourself. WE got ours extended to 60 days just by asking and are still evaluating.

Good luck!

Julia, when is your 60 trail going to end?
    I'd be interested to hear back at that time.

As I stated before I believe it's a negative with the word "Hacker" reminding people of the dangers of online transactions.
    Bob Pets Warehouse

Affiliate Manager Julia_Shoeboxed's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PetsWarehouse.com
    Julia, when is your 60 trail going to end?
    I'd be interested to hear back at that time.

As I stated before I believe it's a negative with the word "Hacker" reminding people of the dangers of online transactions.

I agree first off with the idea that "Hacker" could be a negative word.

Our 60 days end mid feb, ill let you know how it fairs!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I don't like that the word "hacker" is in there, and I also think their logos look like a kid did 'em. When I first saw one of those seals, I thought "yah right." Of course, the fact that I know that *nothing,* not even the Pentagon, is totally hack-proof, affects my perception.

But as for trust seals in general, the concept works. I use the FREE Authorize.net Verified Merchant seal, and it definitely increased the conversion ratio. All it takes to be able to use that seal is to be an Authorize.net merchant gateway customer; there's a minor 2-minute setup process and that's it.

I also have a (non-VeriSign) SSL seal showing, but that in itself didn't seem to do much. I think customers want that verification popup. Some SSL providers offer seals that have the popup ability, but they want an arm and a leg. If the site already had one of those, I'd have doubts that another verification-enabled seal would do any good...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread