Question About The CSN Stores Affiliate Program On SAS!
    Hi Brent,

At first, I thought about just sending you a PM, to ask you these questions, but I think it would be better to ask you in an open forum, because it might help other affiliates that may have some of the same questions, but are too afraid to ask.

I also thought about where should I make this post!

I was going to open this thread on the SAS forum, but since the "CSN Stores" doesn't have a forum, or a sub-forum on ABW yet, I thought that the "Midnight Cafe' forum" would be the next best option, even though that by making this post here, I might get more competition when I join the "CSN Stores program". ;-)

----------------------------

Ok Brent,

Here are some of my questions:

1 - I just check the "CSN Stores" on SAS Today, and it says "Datafeed Contains 159,008 Products"

On December 6th, 2007, you said here: http://forum.abestweb.com/showpost.p...2&postcount=78 that

Alright, here is the deal. We recently updated our feeds and our sites, removing all the products that are coming up with this error. Our feeds on SAS do not have any of these products in them. Pop Shops has us listed with 159,000 products, we only have 131,751. This was a serious house cleaning of discontinued products. Once Pop Shops updates their database with the feeds that are currently in SAS, there will not be any more discontinued products to pick from.
    So what is the actual amount of products Today, January 25th, 2008?

2 - By looking at the "CSN Stores List" on SAS Today, I counted 235 different CSN Store names, so it looks like you have added more stores to the CSN Progam.

If anyone just joins here: http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale...rchantID=11035 , would that means that we're already joined all 235 different CSN Store merchants?

3 - Also, even though I have already searched for that answer today on ABW, I just want to make sure of what's the latest info on this question:
    [ Never mind the actual total amount of different stores today.]

But...

Other than the big default datafeed, (One master datafeed for all the merchants.) can we get a separate datafeed for each and every different merchant?

4 - After I saw this posts:
    January 3rd, 2008, 04:32 PM
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beachy
    One thing I would LOVE is to have your database(s) available on your servers for remote connections. Then I could pull what I need onto my pages directly with php. Whenever you update a DB, my items would also be updated. I am not code-savvy enough to auto populate large databases onto my sites. If I had that capability I might be able to do some of what I do with hotel reservations for tangible products.
    and...
    Hi Beachy,
    Thank you for the suggestion. Donuts also suggested this a while back. It is something that I have pitched to my bosses in the past. Unfortunately it is not a major priority in the big scheme of things on our tech calendar. This is something we will offer in the future, but probably not anytime soon.
    If you have any questions about CSN Stores, please don't hesitate to contact me.
    5 - If I have read it right, that means that there is no database(s) available on your servers for remote connections, or to be more exact, that if we join the "CSN Progam" on SAS, that we can't get the datafees by FTP.

In other words, do that means this:

That if we join the "CSN Progam" on SAS, we can only get the big master datafeed (with whatever amount of merchants and products are there) by just getting the default ( a-xxxxx.txt) datafeed file?

I believe that last question is a very good question, because...

First: I don't think that almost any affiliate that are using WebMerge, would be able to handle a datafeed that big.

Second: Even though I think have learned enough on how to handle any size datafeed with PHP/MySQL, there is no way I can download a 200K datafeed to my HD, and play with it first, to later upload that monster to my sites, not even with DSL.

Btw, I have a (home furniture domain) that I think I can put many of the "CSN Stores" on, but... I would like to get some answers to some of those five questions first. ;-)

> "can we get a separate datafeed for each and every different merchant?
    " <

When I last checked, you could get separate datafeeds via ftp, and sure enough, I just checked now and I see that there are separate feeds available for 78 different stores (I suppose some of these feeds may contain data from multiple stores). Within the ftp directory for CSN there is a "readme" file that identifies these stores with their own feeds; there is a separate "store_list.txt" file which is pipe-delimited, I assume so that folks with automatic feeds can easily pick up new feeds as they are added.

Don't do datafeeds so can't answer that question for ya but
    "would that means that we're already joined all 235 different CSN Store merchants?"
    yeap there's a lot of em. lol I'm sure Brent or some of the others will answer the rest for ya. I only know the easy one. lol

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    > "can we get a separate datafeed for each and every different merchant?
    " <

When I last checked, you could get separate datafeeds via ftp, and sure enough, I just checked now and I see that there are separate feeds available for 78 different stores (I suppose some of these feeds may contain data from multiple stores). Within the ftp directory for CSN there is a "readme" file that identifies these stores with their own feeds; there is a separate "store_list.txt" file which is pipe-delimited, I assume so that folks with automatic feeds can easily pick up new feeds as they are added.
    Mr. Sal -

What I had asked is different from what Mark is answering. The access Mark described is indeed helpful for downloading data for individual stores.

What I was inquiring about was having access to actually connect to their database via php and pull directly from there. For example, with NetShops I have found it very easy to set up data-driven stores. I can manipulate data without having to first pull down the database to my computer, manipulating whatever I wish to change, uploading to my server and then connecting with php.

I do not yet have the skill set to automate the retrieval of databases, large or small, and was hoping to have access to all of the CSN merchandise without having to depend on a PopShops or GoldenCan style manual operation.

For one of my hotel sites I have to download a very large database (50K+ hotels with descriptions, image URLs, directions, etc.) via DSL or CableModem and then upload it to one of my servers. The process takes me about four hours to complete and makes me "nervous" every time I do it. (If I use my PC with XP the inevitable server time-outs seem to be handled OK. With my Mac I actually have to break the DB into small chunks and upload them individually. I s'pose I should hire a programmer to automate the process.)

However, once that is done I can use the hotel data from that merchant on several different niche (local destination) sites, even though they may exist on a totally server. In fact, I could very easily give you Read Only permission to my database and you could pull data into YOUR pages with php - and never have to touch the database itself. That is what I was hoping CSN would be able to set up.
    Last edited by Beachy; January 25th, 2008 at 07:49 AM.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Outsourced Program Manager Brent E.'s Avatar
    Good Day Mr. Sal,

Thank you very much for these inquiries. It is my pleasure to answer them for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    Hi Brent,

At first, I thought about just sending you a PM, to ask you these questions, but I think it would be better to ask you in an open forum, because it might help other affiliates that may have some of the same questions, but are too afraid to ask.

I also thought about where should I make this post!

I was going to open this thread on the SAS forum, but since the "CSN Stores" doesn't have a forum, or a sub-forum on ABW yet, I thought that the "Midnight Cafe' forum" would be the next best option, even though that by making this post here, I might get more competition when I join the "CSN Stores program". ;-)
    The great thing about CSN Stores is that there are an endless amount of advertising opportunities. We are focusing the next 6 months on building the selection of our existing stores. We want to be able to service any type of customer, from the low end buyer to the High end guy. This will ensure more marketing opportunities for you.

Now, letís get into these questions!

1 - I just check the "CSN Stores" on SAS Today, and it says "Data feed Contains 159,008 Products"

On December 6th, 2007, you said here: http://forum.abestweb.com/showpost.p...2&postcount=78 that

So what is the actual amount of products Today, January 25th, 2008?
    The actual amount of products in our data feeds is 159,075. These numbers will fluctuate up and down, but by a very small number. This number will grow as I continue to add feeds of the new categories that we enter.

That issue we had that cleaned out 30,000 products should not happen again. If it does happen, please let me know ASAP, and I will take care of it.

2 - By looking at the "CSN Stores List" on SAS Today, I counted 235 different CSN Store names, so it looks like you have added more stores to the CSN Program.
    That is correct, with more on the way. I have a few in my queue that will be added shortly. One of these is AirHockeyTables.com, which I am a huge fan of!

If anyone just joins here: http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale...rchantID=11035 , would that means that we're already joined all 235 different CSN Store merchants?
    When you sign up for the CSN Stores affiliate program, you get access to advertise every one of those niche stores. Right now that number live on SAS is 235.

This is one of the benefits to working with CSN. We offer any product that you need for your home, office or outdoor furniture needs, and you donít have to deal with multiple programs to do so.

3 - Also, even though I have already searched for that answer today on ABW, I just want to make sure of what's the latest info on this question:

Other than the big default data feed, (One master data feed for all the merchants.) can we get a separate data feed for each and every different merchant?
    Just to clarify, CSN Stores owns and operates all 255 niche sites. It is one merchant, with a host of niche stores. I am the companies in-house affiliate manager. I concentrate all of my efforts on the CSN Stores program.

I currently have 49 separate data feeds. I can not make a feed for every single niche store. For example, I have incorporated all television mounts into the Mounts and More data feed. I can't make another feed with these products in it, so you will never see a Plasma Mounts Online, LCD Mounts Online, Flat Panel Mounts Online, Projector Mounts Direct, Speaker Mounts Online or Television Wall Mounts (all dot coms) data feeds. These products will all be found in the Mounts and More feed, that you can receive via FTP through SAS.

5 - If I have read it right, that means that there is no database(s) available on your servers for remote connections, or to be more exact, that if we join the "CSN Program" on SAS, that we can't get the data feeds by FTP.

In other words, do that means this:

That if we join the "CSN Program" on SAS, we can only get the big master data feed (with whatever amount of merchants and products are there) by just getting the default ( a-xxxxx.txt) data feed file?
    This is incorrect. You can receive FTP access by signing up for it through SAS. We just do not offer the same in-house feed set-up that Net Shops offers. It is something that I would love to offer affiliates, but don't have any type of time table for this.

I believe that last question is a very good question, because...

First: I don't think that almost any affiliate that are using WebMerge, would be able to handle a data feed that big.

Second: Even though I think have learned enough on how to handle any size data feed with PHP/MySQL, there is no way I can download a 200K data feed to my HD, and play with it first, to later upload that monster to my sites, not even with DSL.
    I hear that Sal. This is why I set up separate store feeds, as well as a master store feed, so that everyoneís needs could be met.

Btw, I have a (home furniture domain) that I think I can put many of the "CSN Stores" on, but... I would like to get some answers to some of those five questions first. ;-)
    That's great news. Let me know if you would like to set up a time to talk and we can strategize which CSN niche stores and product categories would be a good fit for you.

Thanks,
    Brent Elias
    Affiliate Manager/Acceleration-Partners
    Belias(AT)acceleration-partners.com
    "God Grant That Men Of Principle, Shall Be Our Principle Men" - Thomas Jefferson

Special thanks to Mark, Purple Bear and Beachy for taking time out of their busy schedules to help address these questions. You guys are always there to help other affiliates and even Merchants! It is not overlooked by any, and is greatly appreciated.
    Brent Elias
    "God Grant That Men Of Principle, Shall Be Our Principle Men" - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Brent E.
    Special thanks to Mark, Purple Bear and Beachy for taking time out of their busy schedules to help address these questions. You guys are always there to help other affiliates and even Merchants! It is not overlooked by any, and is greatly appreciated.
    I would like to say thanks to them too!

--------------

The actual amount of products in our data feeds is 159,075.
    I have a few in my queue that will be added shortly.

When you sign up for the CSN Stores affiliate program, you get access to advertise every one of those niche stores. Right now that number live on SAS is 235.

This is one of the benefits to working with CSN. We offer any product that you need for your home, office or outdoor furniture needs, and you donít have to deal with multiple programs to do so.

Just to clarify, CSN Stores owns and operates all 255 niche sites. It is one merchant, with a host of niche stores. I am the companies in-house affiliate manager. I concentrate all of my efforts on the CSN Stores program.

I currently have 49 separate data feeds. I can not make a feed for every single niche store. For example, I have incorporated all television mounts into the Mounts and More data feed. I can't make another feed with these products in it, so you will never see a Plasma Mounts Online, LCD Mounts Online, Flat Panel Mounts Online, Projector Mounts Direct, Speaker Mounts Online or Television Wall Mounts (all dot coms) data feeds. These products will all be found in the Mounts and More feed, that you can receive via FTP through SAS

You can receive FTP access by signing up for it through SAS.

This is why I set up separate store feeds, as well as a master store feed, so that everyoneís needs could be met.

------------

Ok Brent,

Thanks for answering those questions.

I will be joining the CSN Stores soon, so far I like what I see!

I may or may not, be able to set up all the stores before the 1st, because I still have to redo the home furniture site, and I am still taking the rest of January easy. ;-)

But later today, or tomorrow, I will be joining the CSN Stores in order to play around with the datafeeds on my test pages, before I put them live to sell, later. :-)

Thanks.

All right - yer twistin' my arm.

I'd like to see if I can figure it out, so I just applied for FTP access to your date feed. Sure hope I can find an "easy one" for beach supplies and accessories (umbrellas, chairs, blankets, etc.).
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I currently have 49 separate data feeds. I can not make a feed for every single niche store. For example, I have incorporated all television mounts into the Mounts and More data feed. I can't make another feed with these products in it, so you will never see a Plasma Mounts Online, LCD Mounts Online, Flat Panel Mounts Online, Projector Mounts Direct, Speaker Mounts Online or Television Wall Mounts (all dot coms) data feeds. These products will all be found in the Mounts and More feed, that you can receive via FTP through SAS.
    Brent, your stores and your work for CSN have always been top-flight in my book. Indeed, you and I have swapped emails from time to time when you've quickly answered questions and clarified an issue for me. I appreciate that.

I've quoted that paragraph above because it's one of the major hangups or puzzles I have about using your datafeeds -- knowing just where to find what in the datafeeds.

I've swapped email with you, for example, about Kid's Toys. You have a great niche store, "Toys and Games Online," for example, which would make a great datafeed. But as I recall, those products are only available via FTP datafeed through the AllChildrensFurniture.com datafeed.

That just makes it very difficult to know which datafeed to download and figure out how to get the specific products out of.

I guess what would be useful would be something like the FTP listing you have explaining the various datafeed numbers, only making a listing we could download which would show which niche store is in which datafeed -- meaning the niche stores for which you don't have separate datafeeds.

Does any of that make sense? I've been sitting at this keyboard waaaayyy too long already today, so I'm not sure if I'm communicating at all coherently right now. LOL!
    Generate more fake news.

Talking
    What have I got myself into?
    I just wanted to relax the last 7 days of January, and now it looks like I got myself buried with a lot of new work. Hell, I am even going to break my smilies diet today.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the fast approval Brent, I also applied for FTP Access in order have it ready for when I go live with the CSN Stores.

Btw, I just downloaded 50 datafeeds, one by one to my HD, including the "All Stores zip file", I thought that the "All Stores zip file" was a zip file of all of the other datafeeds zip files, but I see that the "All Stores zip file" is the big monster, so I didn't even tried to open it on my HD.

By looking at the different categories datafeeds, it looks like a very good way to just select the products from each of those datafeeds, and make a specific category stores.

Right now I just got my brain in overflow with new ideas , but I think that maybe before 2012, I will have time for a vacation.

But on the mean time, I will just aim for my first CSN tores ale, before next labor day weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Beachy
    All right - yer twistin' my arm.

I'd like to see if I can figure it out, so I just applied for FTP access to your date feed. Sure hope I can find an "easy one" for beach supplies and accessories (umbrellas, chairs, blankets, etc.).
    Hi Beachy,

You have been approved!!!

Check out the Teak Wicker and More data feed. There are a lot of umbrellas in that feed. We do not have beach chairs or beach blankets as of right now though.

Thanks,
    Brent Elias

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    Brent, your stores and your work for CSN have always been top-flight in my book. Indeed, you and I have swapped emails from time to time when you've quickly answered questions and clarified an issue for me. I appreciate that.

I've quoted that paragraph above because it's one of the major hangups or puzzles I have about using your datafeeds -- knowing just where to find what in the datafeeds.

I've swapped email with you, for example, about Kid's Toys. You have a great niche store, "Toys and Games Online," for example, which would make a great datafeed. But as I recall, those products are only available via FTP datafeed through the AllChildrensFurniture.com datafeed.

That just makes it very difficult to know which datafeed to download and figure out how to get the specific products out of.

I guess what would be useful would be something like the FTP listing you have explaining the various datafeed numbers, only making a listing we could download which would show which niche store is in which datafeed -- meaning the niche stores for which you don't have separate datafeeds.

Does any of that make sense? I've been sitting at this keyboard waaaayyy too long already today, so I'm not sure if I'm communicating at all coherently right now. LOL!
    Hi Writer Guy,

I know exactly what you are getting at. I will create a document that includes which stores and categories fall under their respective feeds. I will also include Categories and Sub Categories, to help ease the pain of the Make a Page Tool. I will work on this Monday, and hopefully have it ready to go ASAP.

Just to clarify, You will not be able to pull niche store links that do not have their own specific data feed. The store that the data feed is created for is where all of the destination URLS will take you. For example, in the Mounts and More data feed, you will only find destination links leading to that store. You will not find any destination url's to any of the niche tv mount stores that i mentioned in an ealier post.

Thanks for the suggestion, hopefully this will help affiliates ease through our somewhat complicated set-up.

Thanks,
    Brent Elias

Hi Writer Guy,

I know exactly what you are getting at. I will create a document that includes which stores and categories fall under their respective feeds. I will also include Categories and Sub Categories, to help ease the pain of the Make a Page Tool. I will work on this Monday, and hopefully have it ready to go ASAP.
    Sounds great, Brent. Thanks.

BTW -- What is the deal with "Make a Page" anyway? I tried it for CSN, and got a whole list of your stores to choose from. I tried two or three of those stores and kept getting "No Items Found" or whatever Make a Page says when nothing comes up.

Do those Make a Page options for CSN work at all? Is there something I'm doing wrong?

One of my websites involves using Make a Page tables that I post via a WordPress blog. I would really love to get Make a Page to work with some of the CSN stores. Thanks for any clarification on this. If there's something posted about CSN and Make a Page, I apologize for not doing a "Search" to find it instead of asking here.
    Generate more fake news.

awwwh I only answered a teeeny weeny little question cos that was all I knew but you're very welcome for that little bit of my brain power

writerguy - I've used the Make a Page feature for some pages I've made with them and umm yeap can be tough sometimes. lol Been a little while so don't remember for sure how I was able to come up with the results but do know one thing ya gotta be careful with.....don't use any plural terms for anything. I've found it best for me at least to skip the drop down choices and try typing in whatever product I'm trying to get myself (just don't make it plural) or sometimes typing in the manufacturer of the product will give me some results. This is in general what I do using Make a Page.

Wish I could remember what else but umm not remembering anymore right now. Sure somebody else or Brent will be more help, tho.

Thanks for the plural/nonplural tip on the CSN make a page operation, purplebear.

Unfortunately, I've tried 4 times in the last half hour just to get the "Toys and Games Online" CSN make a page to show up -- and it keeps timing out my browser. I've tried both Firefox and IE 7.

Anyone out there from CSN today, Brent? Any suggestions specifically for how to use make a page for CSN and get it to work at all??
    Generate more fake news.

You're very ) glad to try to help.
    Not sure if you were or not but checked real quick and if on the page that opens after you click the make a page.....I tried choosing the CSN stores and gave up cos it was taking realllly long. (thinking maybe you tried that way, too?? it was stuck on the waiting for jokey or whatever it is lol ) So, not sure if that was the option you were trying or not??

I went to the option that's below that...(the blue and gray one) the one where it says primary search criteria. If you choose csn stores under the merchants.....I didn't choose anything else but typed in toys and came up with about 40, then chose toy and came up with the 500 (the maximum results). Only thing tho.....I don't know which particular stores that CSN has that those results came from, just that they're from CSN. So, not sure if that would help ya or not. Afraid if you wanted more than the 500 or 540 you'd probably have to look at the store to find out which term to choose and then type it in to make the search. Least that's how it seems to work for me a lot of the time. I don't have much luck when I choose from the drop down menu choices.

Just thought it might give ya an option to try that way if you wanted to, don't know how soon you had wanted to make your pages. If you were in a hurry and needed something real quick thought it might help ya. If not maybe later the other way might be a bit speedier. lol hope maybe it helped but if not, good luck and hope the other option is working for you later

sorry so long

Purplebear, I'm nominating you for Genius Best Helper of the Day -- or something like that anyhow.

I made the assumption that going through the specific drop-down for CSN Make a Page would be the best way. Nope.

I did your merchant selection, then searched on "toy," and it worked fine.

I'm using the Make a Page just to add CSN store pages via a WordPress blog setup at a mall shopping site, so I don't need to be really, really specific on the stores -- just want to get a bunch of CSN Store stuff up there.

Worked just fine, thanks.
    Generate more fake news.

So what does CSN provide in the way of coupons? I don't see anything in the SAS deals datafeed.

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    Thanks for the plural/nonplural tip on the CSN make a page operation, purplebear.

Unfortunately, I've tried 4 times in the last half hour just to get the "Toys and Games Online" CSN make a page to show up -- and it keeps timing out my browser. I've tried both Firefox and IE 7.

Anyone out there from CSN today, Brent? Any suggestions specifically for how to use make a page for CSN and get it to work at all??
    Hi Writer Guy,

Sorry about the delay in responding.

Make-A-Page is a bit tricky on our end. I am working with Brian to make it easier for affiliates to use. As for now the best method is what Purple Bear had mentioned. Keyword search with singular terms(bed, barstool, toy etc.) The Only way to figure out which store the specific product is mapped to is by clicking on the product picture and seeing which store it leads you to. I will work on a keyword list to help ease the confusion for now. Im hoping the changes that Brian and I are working on will help make using Make A Page for CSN a breeze.

Thanks,
    Brent Elias

Quote Originally Posted by bumpaw
    So what does CSN provide in the way of coupons? I don't see anything in the SAS deals datafeed.
    Hi Bumpaw,

Thanks for the question.

We currently do not issue coupons to affiliates. We do offer free shipping on the majority of our product lines though.

Thanks,
    Brent Elias

Study

Writergy said: "Purplebear, I'm nominating you for Genius Best Helper of the Day -- or something like that anyhow. [img]images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]"

oooooh you've made my day Definitely was very happy to help. Since I'm not exactly the most computer literate person around here lol anytime there's a question I might've had some experience with and think I might be able to help, I jump on it quickly. lol So, very happy to have been able to help ya.

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread