Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PopShops not displaying correctly this morning
    It appears that all my PopShops pages are displaying using the "default PopShops style" and not the page formatting I have designated. I've checked and the proper formatting is shown within the PopShops login interface, but not at the actual web sites.

I know they've been making some changes this morning, and I've sent an email to support, so I assume they'll fix this quickly.

Here's how a page looks from inside PopShops:

and here's how a page looks when it's live on the web:
    Last edited by markwelch; January 25th, 2008 at 01:57 PM.

There was a change in the way images are handled (if you have ever had a long, thin image that took up the whole page, that is now fixed). There's a bug related to Mark's layout that we are looking into.

Thank you for writing to support@popshops.com. That is the most direct way to contact us.

Jessie

ABW Ambassador
    Okay, hope this is straightened out soon, my pages look HORRIBLE. Also, the pagination is off too. If I selected for the page #'s to be ONLY on the bottom of the page, they are showing at the top also. I have sent an e-mail to support with plenty of examples.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Hi, just in case it is related, my alternating wide style isn't showing up online today. I looks right in the popshops customize view, but it doesn't appear on my site. It appears like a style I have of the default with a link color change but with the same number of columns that that shop is using (1)

The wide layouts are the ones affected and the nav. Dan is deploying the fix.

Jessie

ABW Ambassador
    YES - Give Dan a big hug, pages are starting to display normal again!! Pagination is still off but at least working.

Yup, it looks like my pages are also displaying normally again.

After my first post, I did notice that what was being displayed did not appear to be the "default PopShops layout," since it still displayed merchant names, which I recall weren't part of the default layout.

msladybug,
    Wow, you're fast! :-)

Dan deployed the fixes separately and the pagination was second, so I think you refreshed before that adjustment had been pushed out.

Jessie

ABW Ambassador
    LOL - ALL seems to be working fine again. With all that was going on, I've even received an e-mail from Dan saying all was fixed. Great support as usual!

All of my sites are messed up too.

I have one that is 3 col but showing up very skinny, another with one image supposed to be aligned to the left but it's on top.

I will submit a support ticket.

My PopShops pages aren't responding (at all) again this morning.

I've emailed support; is this also happening to others today (Sat Feb 9)?

ABW Ambassador
    I noticed PopShops was majorly laggy last night but my shops seem to displaying fine right now. I'm about to make some new shops and will report if I see any issues.

My PopShops pages are still not responding, but I can log in and manage shops easily, and I can see PopShops on some other affiliates' sites. Perhaps it's a PHP issue (my shops use PHP)?

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Mine are fine. I'm using HTML
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Mark, I'm using PHP also and my shops are loading fine.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Mine are fine. I'm using PHP with Wordpress on Dreamhost. Even the shops that generate the additional pages automatically are working well.

Rexanne -- how have you dealt with the issue of product updates for your HTML pages? I opted not to use HTML versions because I knew that products change often, and I didn't want to manually update each page every week or two.

In the past two weeks, I've actually seen about 5% of my products become inactive each week, which has made me feel more uncomfortable with the idea of using HTML pages.

But since this isn't the first or second time that I've had my PHP pages stop working, I'm beginning to think that I should stop experimenting with PopShops, period, and focus on other projects.

Added: After hearing other folks say that their PHP pages work fine, I verified that my PHP PopShops pages are still not responding. Other PHP pages on the same sites are working fine, and I've just checked my hosting control panel and verified that there are no apparent issues there.

Now I'm really concerned. I'll go ahead and pause all PPC campaigns for these sites again, and I don't expect I'll do any further PPC work promoting any of my PopShops pages.

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    Rexanne -- how have you dealt with the issue of product updates for your HTML pages? I opted not to use HTML versions because I knew that products change often, and I didn't want to manually update each page every week or two.

In the past two weeks, I've actually seen about 5% of my products become inactive each week, which has made me feel more uncomfortable with the idea of using HTML pages.
    It's a pain to keep the pages updated, definitely but I'd rather have full control over what's displaying on my site. Also, Javascript (my only other option due to not knowing how to program anything else) drags the pages and they load too slowly. And there is a considerable number of Internet surfers who can't see Javascript.

The one thing that's bothering me most is the number of "inactive" products I see in my Pop Shops reports. I'll check the merchant site and see that the products are, in fact, in stock and shipping. Can anyone from Pop Shops comment on this?
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

> "The one thing that's bothering me most is the number of "inactive" products I see in my Pop Shops reports. I'll check the merchant site and see that the products are, in fact, in stock and shipping. Can anyone from Pop Shops comment on this?" <

Yes, this has been an issue for me, too. This definitely is a merchant issue, as items are dropped from merchant datafeeds, and of course as PopShops drops merchant datafeeds (when the merchant is persistently offline, or when the datafeed includes invalid pricing or many out-of-stock items).

As I mentioned, in the past two weeks I've encountered about 5% of all products going "inactive" each week. This week, almost all of the "inactive" products were from two merchants (about 300 all chairs I'd added on January 30-31 from EverythingFurniture were dropped from their datafeed this past week, and everything from HerbsMD disappeared also).

I am also constantly finding products included in merchant datafeeds for many MONTHS after the merchant stops stocking them.

Both of these issues (the 5%-per-week inactives, plus merchants with out-of-stock items in their feeds) are mostly "merchant selection" issues on my part, not problems with PopShops. I suspect that if I select merchants more carefully, and manually verify in-stock status for each product I add to each shop, the "inactive" rate will drop below 1% per week.

FYI, PopShops support has replied, and indicates that their server is not receiving the requests from my PHP pages, which might suggest a problem on my server; I've submitted a support ticket at my hosting provider and hope to have a response "real soon now."
    Last edited by markwelch; February 9th, 2008 at 04:18 PM.

Rexanne,
    The issue with inactive products is an issue with the merchant feeds themselves. As we evolve I hope to be able to work more closely with merchants to optimize feeds and keep them current.

We do daily imports and pick up changes as soon as they appear on the feeds.

Jessie

My hosting provider (eApps) responded very quickly and made their best effort to diagnose the problem; they determined that it made a difference if the parameters were omitted from the code provided by PopShops (the pages loaded without the parameters, but not with them).

Jessie and Dan (from PopShops) both also responded and eventually narrowed the problem down to (apparently) a load-balancing configuration issue. My pages are all loading fine now.

I think it's time for me to move on to some other work in my project queue, and come back to PopShops at some later time.

I just wanted to clarify, we narrowed the problem down to a load-balancer, not a configuration issue, we are still investigating the exact cause of the problem. Once we narrowed down where the problem was happening we immediately took it out of the loop and got everything working again.

As far as eApps determining it was whether or not they omitted parameters, yes of course it makes a difference whether or not you try to use the url from the snippet without the snippet. Their example was to load a shop including the php variables in the string, without having php parse and replace the variables. So instead of our servers responding to 'shops.popshops.com/shops/php/YOURSHOPID?var1=xxx&var2=xxx' our servers were seeing 'shops.popshops.com/shops/php/YOURSHOPID$psps_url$psps_parameters'. The shop snippet replaces $psps_url and $psps_parameters with the necessary information.

ABW Ambassador
    lol Okay, Dan I'm sure you know exactly what you are talking about but I read the above and went "WHAT?". Thank goodness you handle the technical PHP stuff.

*scrambles to get geek-tionary to figure out what the heck Dan just said*

Quote Originally Posted by JessieJ
    Rexanne,
    The issue with inactive products is an issue with the merchant feeds themselves. As we evolve I hope to be able to work more closely with merchants to optimize feeds and keep them current.

We do daily imports and pick up changes as soon as they appear on the feeds.

Jessie
    Most of the products that are showin as "inactive" are very much active on the merchant sites.

One merchant (a good one, btw) is showing all products in one of my shops as "not available" but when I click on all the "see landing page" pop ups to check, all these products are in stock and still selling. I hate to ignore the inactive product references but it's a big waste of time when they are usually all still available and there doesn't seem to be a problem on the merchant site. I guess I'm wondering if I should be concerned that so many products are showing inactive. Is this because the merchant has pulled them from their new feed?
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast