We are looking to move and want to just get out of the house asap. Has anyone ever called one of those "We buy houses" numbers and followed through? Anything we need to worry about? I had a friend of a friend do it and I haven't heard any complaints about it from them.

Anyone?

Chris

----------------------------
    Scriptsforyoursite.com - Featuring datafeed import scripts for Art.com, Backcountry Store, Coldwater Creek, Mondera.com and many more.....

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I think that's how my mother and aunt unloaded my grandmother's house.

Those are a kind of "brokers"--not the regular real estate broker kind, but a different kind that specializes in older houses that need fixing. I forget the full name...

Since they (mother and aunt) know more about real estate than me, especially when it comes to that area and age of house, I'll just go with what they said.

They reported that the prices were rather cheap and that more could be gotten out of a house by bringing it up to code and selling it the regular way. On the other hand, a "fixer-upper-broker" (for lack of the right name) has the benefits of being a way to sell FAST, without having to care if the house is up to code. It was a good option since none of us was inclined to dump a bunch of time and money into it.

Be prepared to call 4 or 5, though, because there was quite a variance in offered prices, and some of those people are outright scammy. They said there was an aura of "sleaze" around many of the people who came to make offers, and some of the prices were laughable.

But they found one, he paid, and the check cashed. I was too busy bolting out of the job I had been in with my cut, to care much about whether it was a fair price or not, so I didn't think too much about it at the time. But now that I'm thinking about it again, I'd say it did indeed go for RATHER cheap, just like Mom and Aunt said at the time.

I'd only recommend it, based on their experiences, if you were DESPERATE to unload the place quick. Otherwise, at least give a standard broker a *chance*, unless there's a lot of repairs that need to be done.

~Revenue is King

Thanks for the tips leader. Already called 3 of them and none bothered to show up. One person actually told me that they only offer 70% of the apprasal value - $65,800. HA.

Maybe we are all in the wrong business.

Thanks again
    Chris

----------------------------
    Scriptsforyoursite.com - Featuring datafeed import scripts for Art.com, Backcountry Store, Coldwater Creek, Mondera.com and many more.....

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread