Panicking - as of Monday my PHP shops won't work
    PHP Experts - can anyone advise me?

If anyone else uses I Power Web as their host then you know they've been moving accounts to a "new" platform. I finally got the dreaded notice that my main account that hosts 6 domains is to be transitioned Monday.

I have tested PHP Popshops on one of my web client's accounts already on the new platform and I cannot get the shop to display at all.

I Power Says:
    "PHP Scripting - On the new platform, CGI and PHP scripts can no longer be run from your home directory--all CGIs must be located in your public_html directory or a subdirectory below that."

Before I simply edited the htaccess file with the "AddHandler etc" line so that I could keep all my .html pages and use the PHP scripts.

I've tried every which way - putting the popshop in a subdirectory, using a .php file extension instead of .html and I either see the PHP code or I get a 500 internal server error page saying the script had an error and did not produce any output. I'm assuming that may be due to the path, being in a subdirectory, but I really don't know.

Anyone else dealing with similar issues? I really don't want to use the Javascript or HTML versions - nor do I want to convert my 171 popshops or RENAME or MOVE all my pages.

I hope I don't have to scramble for a new webhost either. ANY and I mean ANY info or suggestions would be appreciated as I'd love to be prepared before Monday.

> "Before I simply edited the htaccess file with the "AddHandler etc" line so that I could keep all my .html pages and use the PHP scripts." <

There's the problem, isn't it? I did the same thing -- I reconfigured my Windows web servers so that .htm pages were interpreted as .asp pages, so I didn't need to use .asp suffixes, and then I had to delay moving my site back to a shared host because no shared host could support this. (When I made the move, I decided to switch to php).

Even now, I'm sure there are pages generating error messages on some of my sites.

I don't understand why you can't just move everything into the "correct" directory instead of the home directory? I've made the same adjustment with my transition, and although it took some time and effort, it wasn't a huge obstacle. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the problem?

I tried a Popshop in a subdirectory with a php extension as well as an html extension and neither works. What I don't know is if this subdirectory has to have a special name. I vaguely recall reading something about a "htdocs" directory or something like that and now I can't find the info.

Guess I'll experiment some more.

With the popshop in a subdirectory AND using a .php file extension I get the following error message:

The server encountered an unexpected condition which prevented it from fulfilling the request. The script had an error or it did not produce any output. If there was an error, you should be able to see it in the error log.

That doesn't tell me much!
    Last edited by joyaz; January 25th, 2008 at 09:49 PM.

Might be that the server doesn't have mod/rewrite turned on. Somewhere here on the forum there's a post with the script to check that. I believe it was under the php forum.

Just got off the phone with Ipower regarding a domain issue (and other domain migration issues). Literally, less than 5 minutes ago.
    Only took over two hours on hold and getting cut off once at the end of that two hours for me to say enough. Phoned again and got everything dealt with. Still planning my escape from them though.

I know this post doesn't offer you any assistance, but at least I can offer you sympathy in any dealings you may have with them and best wishes on your migration.
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!
    ================================================================

ABW Ambassador
    Site A:
    When I moved one site to a host with PHP 5.2.5 my code to parse .html pages for php wouldn't work with the htaccess I always used. I had to fool around and experiment for an hour or so, and finally got it to work using this:

AddType application/x-httpd-php .htm .html

Sites B (a few sites):
    When I checked a few sites on 1/23 at different host this week (3 out of 4 sites on the same host), all of a sudden the .html pages were trying to download like an application and instead of pages loading I got a download warning box. It's PHP 4.4.7 and apparently a modification to Apache was done on 1/21, and the configuration for PHP had been changed; so what I always use no longer worked. Again, I experimented. This is what I got to work and they're fine now:

AddHandler application/x-httpd-php .html .php .htm

The .php in that one isn't necessary I believe, but once something works I won 't touch it. I understand that this type of php implementation (for html) is kind of a kludge with Apache, and it depends on whether PHP is configured to run as a cgi or not.

Before I simply edited the htaccess file with the "AddHandler etc" line so that I could keep all my .html pages and use the PHP scripts.
    Try the AddType instead, and in the meantime also upload a file called php_info.php to your root directory, and put this into it in an ascii text editor (like Notepad, not a WYSIWYG):

<?php
    echo phpinfo();
    ?>
    You'll get a complete view of your Apache configuration, so you can post what version of PHP (and MySQL), so that if you still can't get it working someone who knows more about it can help you out faster.

Take that file down right away then, so your server information isn't publicly displayed.

Added:
    Somewhere here on the forum there's a post with the script to check that. I believe it was under the php forum.
    It's probably the php_info.php that I posted, it shows everything that's enabled or disabled, including mod_rewrite if I remember correctly - in the Apache section.
    Last edited by webworker; January 25th, 2008 at 11:48 PM.

I can certainly sympathize also; My own business site with a few AM sections was no big deal to keep up to date manually when that's all I was doing. Of course trying to do things with php for headers, footers and navigation would only work if the files had a .php extension. No problem if the whole site is php I guess but stringing together static and dynamic pages soon becomes way too much maintenance. I tried everything that was working just fine on other hosts and it just would not work. I had contacted the host previously and they had assured me that the AddHandler change would work but it didn't. After trying everything I could find anywhere I pinned them down yesterday with some direct questions and they finally told me that no matter what I did I could not use .php includes on .html pages on their server setup.
    I opened there in 2002 but within 6 hours I was all moved out. Their antique 'Control Panel' allowed me to edit the nameservers for my domain and it is 100% transferred today, less than 24 hours after they told me it could not work.
    You need to go to a host with the proper features or you cannot progress. I just dealt with another domain with the same screwy setup the week before Christmas. Things that weren't important to me a few years ago when looking for hosting my own little websites become vital differences to compete in AM. Good luck, it is not fun moving a domain but it is such a good feeling to be free of those annoyances.

I couldn't imagine dealing with these types of problems without excellent tech support. Whenever I get a client that wants his site redone the first thing I ask is where is it hosted. 95% of the time I'll move it to a place where I know the support is great or they have to get someone else. Life is too short.

The problem is that you don't really know if support is good till you get in a jam.

Recently in another thread I mentioned asking for an upgrade of my existing PHP 5 to I believe 5.2.3(not Sure). The prior version of PHP 5 had this to work:
    AddHandler application/x-httpd-php .html
    The new version caused all sites to go dead where PHP was used until tech came up with
    AddHandler application/x-httpd-php5 .html
    and then all was well. They tried for 3 hours and got it.

Remember the PHP folks are already working on PHP 6 .

Fears eased ... a bit
    I tried the "AddType" line in the htaccess file and got an internal server error for the entire site. (and quickly removed that!)

I talked to I Power tech support this morning and the techie assured me the PHP version shops should still work okay with an HTML extension. Turns out the client's account I was using for testing didn't have CGI enabled - something that has to be done separately (duh).

So maybe the transition will go okay after all. I just have to wait and see at this point. Thanks for everyone's input and at least I know all of you would have suggestions should I need a new web host.

That is good to hear! Marcia's advice to check your server configuration is always an important step before panic and it gives you the environmental information you would need in order to correct problems - or get help.

Thank you, Marcia! This little line is the gem that finally worked!!!

AddType application/x-httpd-php .htm .html

I spent over an hour with tech support and the ONLY way he could get Popshops to work is with a .php file extension on the page. I didn't want to change all my pages and after I hung up with NO resolution, I first tried the "AddHandler" line to no avail. Then I tried the "AddType" line and bingo, the shop displayed fine in the HTML page.

Whew! With the transition of 90% of my Popshops pages tomorrow, I'm so happy I found a solution (without the help of my web host and with the help of Marcia and everyone).

Thanks to all who responded. I'll sleep better tonight.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread