ABW Ambassador
    UK, nil point. The only country to score zero. What a scream

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

Who cares?

Oh i wish I could have seen eurovision and BETH from Spain!! I think she is awesome. Too bad I missed it What is the url of the contest?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Radegast:
    Who cares? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do.

Because, we won! GO TURKEY!

&lt;music&gt;"Everyway that I can"&lt;/music&gt;

Listen some ethnic music people!:

Winner TURKEY:

http://www.euro-mp3.com/public/04_Turkey.wma

Runner Up Belgium:

http://www.euro-mp3.com/public/22_belgium.wma

ABW Ambassador
    I was flipping channels Sunday night (when it was broadcast my time) and caught this at the start.

I'd never seen it before & ended up watching the whole thing instead of the crappy movie on the other channel.

I must say I was disappointed to read in the news that reports were made that other countries didn't vote for the UK act (which really did suck) because of the UK's stance on iraq.

I thought it was a great show.

ABW Ambassador
    Wonder who suggested such a thing Pete? Perhaps the UK organisers of the song?

Personally I think no one voted for them because they were just about the worse song there. The girl sang out of tune. When they arrived back in the UK, they blamed the stage setup and monitors not working. Wonder if it worked for everyone else?

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

I agree with Andy. After all, not every other country was anti-war.

Besides, political voting in Eurovision - surely not? I thought that was one of the reasons for watching. If you really want to know the state of political relations among European countries, watch Eurovision.

ABW Ambassador
    Australian news services alrays runs stories with doing their research firstly.

Anyway, here a few links.
    http://edition.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/eu....britain.reut/
    http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_784641.html?menu=

Personally I think the UK act was a bad song that was performed poorly.

I'm suprised it didn't turn into the European SNOG Contest with TATU there

________
    All your commission are belong to us.
    Check out the latest Homeland Security press releases.

The Eurovision ranking system is f***ed up in my opinion. For example the UK has a large etnic Irish population so naturally Ireland's gonna get the 12 points. Same with Greece and Cyprus and vice versa. Turkey has a large etnic population across Europe, so they'll get top votes from Germany, Austria, Holland, Sweden, Belguim and Bosnia. Might as well call it the Etnicvision song contest.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JJJay:
    The Eurovision ranking system is f***ed up in my opinion. For example the UK has a large etnic Irish population so naturally Ireland's gonna get the 12 points. Same with Greece and Cyprus and vice versa. Turkey has a large etnic population across Europe, so they'll get top votes from Germany, Austria, Holland, Sweden, Belguim and Bosnia. Might as well call it the Etnicvision song contest. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Come on!

If the votes are following ethnicity why do they change dramatically every year.

I think it's a pure music contest and with 26 countries participating, it makes more sense World(?) Baseball Champhionship between US, Canada, Japan and Korea.

The voting is always the most entertaining part

________
    All your commission are belong to us.
    Check out the latest Homeland Security press releases.

Sambay, I'm very happy for you for Turkey winning...
    however...
    all international contests are politicised.
    And, generally, Eurovision is a contest to see who can make the trashiest, most mindless commercial drivel. Sorry If I'm offending anyone here, I'm sure it gives pleasure to millions of people.
    I like music to have some grit, or a hint of sadness, the blues..
    I can't stand Abba, for instance, all that relentless, pure, unadulterated happiness does
    my head in...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I like music to have some grit, or a hint of sadness, the blues..
    I can't stand Abba, for instance, all that relentless, pure, unadulterated happiness does
    my head in...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But surely "Money, money, money" was a tragic and powerful commentary on the decline of humanity through the tyranny of consumerism.

And can't you see an ageing BBKing, face screwed up in lovetorn pain, humming out the lyrics to "The winner takes it all"?

LOL
    I guess anything lends itself to ironic juxtaposition

tatu should have won, havent heard their song but theyre a bit sexy

Hey Sam, a few years ago I met a singer from Turkey who came over as a guest performer for the South Pacific Song Contest.
    This guy was amazing, I can't remember his name, but he was very theatrical in dressing, complete with make-up and his songs were great and a real entertainer.
    He wasn't too tall, probably in his early 30's and from from what I understand one of the top male performers there...would you have any idea of his name....know it's a long shot but he blew me away and I've often wondered how I could find his name and get hold of his music.

The song contest isn't held any more, so that's a dead end.

"I haven't failed, I've just found 10,000 reasons why it doesn't work"
    Thomas Edison

MJ,

He may be Tarkan, if he had green eyes. Fits the description of early thirties , and not too tall. I don't know if he does make-up, but I know he changes his style a lot, hair and all. And he's a little girlie. Rumor has it he's gay.

Many Turkish girls would kill to meet him . He's in New York a lot, and I actually met him in a shopping mall here.

Here is a pic of him:

[This message was edited by SamBay on May 31, 2003 at 02:48 AM.]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Radegast:
    Sambay, I'm very happy for you for Turkey winning...
    however...
    all international contests are politicised.
    And, generally, Eurovision is a contest to see who can make the trashiest, most mindless commercial drivel. Sorry If I'm offending anyone here, I'm sure it gives pleasure to millions of people.
    I like music to have some grit, or a hint of sadness, the blues..
    my head in...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I understand your point. I also actually liked Belgium's song more, which is close what you describe. But, it's just you and me. Dozens of experts decide which deserves to be best. So to say that the votes are politicised or ethinicity-based is a little stretch. In fact, Turkey has returned from this contest with nil points mnay times, like UK did this time.

The thing is, as a nation, unfortunately, we've been very hungry to any kind of international success in arts culture, sports. We do feel bad for losing on everything everytime. Then we go ahead and blame others for our own failure.

I know it's not big deal to win this, but it is for Turks. Even finishing of 3rd place in World Cup (soccer), winning UEFA in a few years back, give some self-confidence as nation, I guess.

Well, it's all good.

Sambay
    I'm not saying the voting was purely politically driven, but, undeniably, politics plays a factor in all international contests - look at the Olympics.
    And, I am glad for you that Turkey won (that wasn't meant cynically)

That's him Sambay,thank you

I heard his music during the South Pacific Song Contest here around 1998. I was given a CD that I thought had his music on it, but it turned out to be just finalists and not special guests.
    The song that blew me away was Simarik, as soon as I heard it I knew it was a hit and wanted to talk to him about it.

There's a bit of controversy going on because Holly Valance has just put out 'Kiss Kiss'and from memory it's very similar.
    Thanks again Sambay

"I haven't failed, I've just found 10,000 reasons why it doesn't work"
    Thomas Edison

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread