Is "PPC Keyword Guidelines" misleading?
    I think it's strange for a merchant to have "PPC keyword guidelines" if the merchant doesn't allow direct-to-merchant ads. If you have PPC keyword guidelines then, logically, doesn't that mean you accept direct-to-merchant ads? If the merchant doesn't want PPC then the only line needed under PPC Keyword Guidelines is "Merchant doesn't accept PPC traffic" or "Merchant doesn't accept Search Engine traffic" or, even better, there shouldn't be any PPC Keyword Guidelines at all.

If you're an affiliate setting up an ad on Google then it's PPC for you, but between you and the merchant it's PPA, PPL or PPS. If you're using the merchant's banner on your website then it's still PPA, PPL and PPS - unless the merchant is that category which pays you pennies for every click.

So there's two very different and specific meanings to PPC, it's a sort of ad you create on search engines, and a category of merchant based on how they're paying you, and neither has anything at all to do with the mass of mumbo jumbo we usually see under "PPC Keyword Guidelines", probably leading to great misery and confusion for both merchants and affiliates.

Of course, the merchant has a stake in how you conduct your PPC keyword campaign, but again - in that case they either accept direct-to-merchant or they don't, and if they do then they have guidelines, if they don't then they shouldn't have anything under that heading.

I think what we usually see under "PPC Keyword Guidelines" needs to go somewhere else entirely - there should be "Merchant's Rules" and a separate "PPC Keyword Guidelines" only for when the merchant accepts direct-to-merchant traffic.

Am I wrong? I see Eathan has suggested this before in the improvements thread, albeit from a different perspective.

ABW Ambassador
    "Of course, the merchant has a stake in how you conduct your PPC keyword campaign, but again - in that case they either accept direct-to-merchant or they don't, and if they do then they have guidelines, if they don't then they shouldn't have anything under that heading."

If they don't, they still should have guidelines for affliates that do PPC to their own sites first.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    If they don't, they still should have guidelines for affliates that do PPC to their own sites first.
    Yeah, I suppose you're right, that would be another legitimate use for it. That would come down to either "don't bid on our keywords" or "don't use our URL in your ads", and if the latter then it's not direct-to-merchant.

I'm just looking for a simple way to get rid of the whole problem where merchants and/or affiliates aren't clear on the PPC direct-to-merchant/display URL issue. I think the heading itself might be part of the problem.

An easier way is probably a series of checkboxes or radio buttons for the merchant/AM. Do you accept DTM? Yes/No. Do you allow your site in the display URL? Yes/No. Do you have keyword restrictions for PPC ads? Yes/No.

Then display the answer. It would probably clear up half the problems.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Mr C,

There has been a substantial amount of discussion on this topic in the past and many different suggestions and ideas that you may find helpful. I did a quick search for you and thought maybe you would find this helpful as a starting point.

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...t+merchant+PPC

Many merchants prohibit DTM - PPC, bidding on their marks and / or using their web address as the display URL. Mostly with good reason. Hope you benefit from the thread above.

You may also reduce confusion / controversy on the issue by offering your specific desired PPC strategy to merchants (on SaS) in the "description" space offered by SaS as this allows merchants or AM's to clearly see upfront what you would like to do. Hope this helps you out.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Thanks Alan. I've seen that thread but it's a darn good one and always a nice read.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread