More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Too Many Inbound Links From 1 Site?
    My father-in-law just started a new site that consists of a directory related to two other sites he has. And nearly all the directory listings contain links pointing to specific pages of these two existing sites. He does not link back to the directory from the two existing sites however.

Are these directory links going to hurt his search engine rankings of the two original sites he has? Or help them?
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    My father-in-law just started a new site that consists of a directory related to two other sites he has. And nearly all the directory listings contain links pointing to specific pages of these two existing sites. He does not link back to the directory from the two existing sites however.

Are these directory links going to hurt his search engine rankings of the two original sites he has? Or help them?
    If all three sites are easily identifiable as belonging to the same person/company/entity, then there is a good possibility that rankings will be hurt. That "ownership-relationship" is easy for the SEs to identify if all three sites are located on the same server, or are hosted at the same company on servers within the same IP block.

Disclaimer: I am not an SEO expert. However, what you describe is a practice that I would not do. I actually have some sites that link to other sites of mine. I also lease some (VPS) server space in three different locations, using three companies in three different states.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I don't necessarily think it's bad. if the sites are all useful, then chances are he's safe.
    if there is a penalty, it is probably going to be on the directory site, so the only way to know is to try.

Whether the SEs currently have the technology to identify it or whether they currently penalize it or not, you have to think about the future.

It's in the best interest of search engines to eliminate spam and return the best possible results. In general terms, things that don't happen naturally indicate spam and natural, unsolicited, unrelated linking indicates relevant, popular pages. As search engines get smarter in their analysis, unnatural linking will become less effective (and sometimes even cause penalties) especially if evidence of natural linking is missing.

I don't see that this technique will have a long-term positive effect, and it certainly could have a negative one. It stinks of "doorway pages" to me.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    I believe that all inbound links should make sense. The text in the link should be relevant to both the site linking to you as well as the landing page on your site the link takes you to.

If you use "Relevance" as your qualifier you most likely will not make many bad moves.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

The more I read what people say about what Google wants the clearer it seems. That is until I start analyzing the sites at the top of the SERPs.

Those at the top of the rankings are often poster sites for what should not work. Yes I know you can go to WMW and read horror stories of old sites disappearing from search.

It would seem that if he needs the links for practical user reasons he could consider nofollow to make the SE happy.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Thanks for all the replies. To be on the safe side, I added rel="nofollow" to the links for his site.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread