Question about Blocked Cookies
    I recently had an issue with 2 test purchases not being tracked by CJ. Even though my CJ code showed up on both orders (according to the merchant), CJ told me that "Technical support figured out that these sales were blocked by cookies."

This got me thinking that if the orders I placed were blocked because of cookies, how many other orders are being blocked. I get a fair amount of clicks to my merchants, but very few sales. I put so much time into my website, but I really feel like I am working for nothing. It is so discouraging!!

Is there anything I can do to make sure my visitor's cookies are not blocked so I get credit for the sale?

I would appreciate any advice you have!

Quote Originally Posted by TheFashionista
    I recently had an issue with 2 test purchases not being tracked by CJ. Even though my CJ code showed up on both orders (according to the merchant), CJ told me that "Technical support figured out that these sales were blocked by cookies."
    I would ask for further explanation as their original reason makes no sense at all. A cookie can be blocked by a variety of methods, however I've never heard of a cookie that could block anything.

If your tracking code showed up on both orders I don't understand why you weren't credited with the orders.

Can anyone else explain this?

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

rematt, thank you so much for your response!! I used what you said in your post to respond to CJ.

I really just feel so stupid with all of this. I am just trying to learn, and while in some cases "ignorance is bliss" -- I feel like my ignorance is allowing others to take advantage of me.

It's so nice to have ABW as a resource where people actually try to help!!

I agree with rematt...

The cookie could potentially be blocked, but the CJ excuse makes no sense.

Seek clarification!

Rematt, I wanted to thank you again for your advice! I responded to the email from CJ (with what you said) and was told by another CS rep that there was a "miscommunication" in the last response. He told me that the reason the order did not track was because the "visitor did not have cookies enabled on their browser."

I was the visitor and had my security settings at medium, which is the default setting for IE 6.0. I didn't have cookies blocked or an anti-spyware program that rejects cookies. When I sent this info to CJ, they had the following response "Given the individualized settings formatted in user computers, we cannot guarantee that every sale or lead completed will be credited to you."

Since most people leave their security settings at medium, which is the default level, how will I ever receive credit for sales from people who visit my website?

It seems like a no win situation. Since there is no way to guarantee the visitor has cookies enabled, it seems like the only one making money from this is the merchants.

How does everyone deal with this situation?

Thanks!!

Fashionista, I have my browser security setting at medium also and I don't appear to be blocking CJ cookies. Without changing any settings, go back to your site, click through to the merchant again and take a look at the status bar at the bottom of your browser. In IE if there are any blocked cookies there will be an icon in the status bar double click the icon and it will give you a privacy report that will show any cookies that were blocked.

You can also view your cookies by selecting Internet Options under the Tools menu in IE and then under Temporary Internet Files select Settings and then View Files. You can then look for he merchants cookie (the easiest way is to sort by type and look for the text files).

If you are convinced that you have not blocked the merchants cookie, you should contact them with the details of the order because it appears that the problem is on their end. Unfortunately even if they pay you for your orders it won't guarantee that you are being paid for other orders that you know nothing about. You also start a thread in the Test Purchase Reports forum because it's possible that others have had similar problems with this merchant.

It's a shame that CJ gave such BS answers without any further investigation. I guess we're on our own, Trusted Third Party...right.

-rematt
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Rematt - THANKS AGAIN!!

I did get paid for the orders thanks to the affiliate manager at the SkinStore. She was very nice and responded to my email within hours and credited me for the purchases the same day.

I just checked the link I used and found that there were 2 cookies "blocked" and 1 that was "allowed." The one that wasn't blocked was for skinstore.com, but the other two were for CJ. Which explains why I didn't get credit even though my CJ code showed up on both orders.

I am so grateful for your help! I have started checking my links for various merchants to see which have cookies that are blocked. So far, it is only the CJ merchants.

How do successful affiliates get credit for sales if the cookies are blocked? Is there something that they are doing differently with their links?

Fashionista also check to make sure that you aren't running an adware or spyware application that could be blocking your CJ cookies. Unfortunately some overzealous apps block CJ cookies because...well, I don't really know why. They just do.

-rematt

Quote Originally Posted by TheFashionista
    <snip>
    How do successful affiliates get credit for sales if the cookies are blocked? Is there something that they are doing differently with their links?
    Cookies are submitted by a web server for a domain, and the user's browser decides to save, read, or write them. Not sure if any link manipulation can change this. Good question though, cj affiliates MUST have noticed if a lot of their commissions weren't coming through.

Anti-spyware programs could cause problems, but...

The default browser settings do not block cookies.
    (If someone thinks I'm wrong please let me know. I love to learn, and on this point I'm pretty certain)

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread