Category display not working in dynamic script?
    The Fun to Collect folks offer a dynamic template which I've used for awhile. I even (with the author's permission) modified it to work with other Shareasale datafeeds.

When trying to restore some websites I lost in a server crash, I suddenly realized the product display, generated by a file named category.php, wasn't working right.

On the sample template at the FTC affiliate site, if you click on a link to display a category of products, you get 7 products displayed, then a "Next 7 Collectibles>>>" at the bottom of the page. Clicking on that, you get "<<<Previous 7 Collectibles Next 7 Collectibles>>>" at the bottom of each page until the products in that category have all been displayed. At the bottom of the last page of products in the category, you see:
    "<<<Previous 7 Collectibles" -- which takes you back screen by screen to the beginning of the products in that category.

The problem is -- the category.php file in the ZIP file from FTC isn't working. It shows the first 7 products in the category, with "Next 7 Collectibles>>>" at the bottom -- but clicking on that "Next 7 Collectibles>>>" link causes NOTHING to happen, the browser just refreshes and continues to display the first 7 collectibles in the category. Won't go "forward" or "backward" in any way.

Here's the code which I THINK creates the pagination, but I do not understand at all what's wrong. My PHP/MySQL knowledge is still very "puzzle it out as you go along," but I know it's probably something you gurus here can figure out:

<?
    if(!$start){
    $start = 0;
    }
    if(!$limit){
    $limit = $perpage;
    }
    $end=($start+$limit);

$sql = "SELECT * FROM products WHERE category='$category'";
    if(mysql_num_rows(mysql_query($sql)) < 1){
    echo "No Products In This Category";
    }

$result = mysql_query("SELECT name,description,thumbimage,sku from products WHERE category='$category' ORDER by name ASC LIMIT $start, $limit") or die (mysql_error());
    while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($result))
    {
    include("product-display.inc");
    }
    $prv = ($start-$limit);
    $nxt = ($start+$limit);
    if($prv < 0){
    $previous = "";
    }else {
    $previous = "<a href=\"category.php?category=$cat2&start=$prv&limit=$limit\"><<< Previous $limit Collectibles</a>";
    }
    if(mysql_num_rows(mysql_query($sql)) < $nxt){
    $next = "";
    }else {
    $next = "<a href=\"category.php?category=$cat2&start=$nxt&limit=$limit\">Next $limit Collectibles >>></a>";
    }
    if(mysql_num_rows(mysql_query($sql)) > $limit){
    echo "
    <P><table border=0 bordercolor=#000000 align=center width=90% bgcolor=#ffffff cellpadding=3 cellspacing=0><TR>
    <TD align=center>
    <b>$previous</b> &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; <b>$next</b>
    </font></TR></TD></table><P>
    ";
    }
    mysql_free_result($result);
    ?>

Oh, yeah. I had a question about the template before and contacted the author of the script. He explained that it had been several years since he wrote it and he doesn't remember much about it, so I posted this here instead of trying to contact the author.

Thanks for any suggestions. You can see how it's supposed to work at the FTC example template script online here:

http://www.funtocollect.net/template/
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    The Fun to Collect folks offer a dynamic template which I've used for awhile. I even (with the author's permission) modified it to work with other Shareasale datafeeds.

When trying to restore some websites I lost in a server crash, I suddenly realized the product display, generated by a file named category.php, wasn't working right.
    Have you checked the reply email I sent you, yet?

Gary,
    I'd presume somewhere is a configuration file... maybe config.php?

Be sure you've set the variable for $perpage as it doesn't look to be set in this file. This is the number of items per page that is being displayed and controls the $limit variable that is used in the query.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Quote Originally Posted by knight01
    Gary,
    I'd presume somewhere is a configuration file... maybe config.php?

Be sure you've set the variable for $perpage as it doesn't look to be set in this file. This is the number of items per page that is being displayed and controls the $limit variable that is used in the query.
    Yup, you're right. There's a config.inc file, and the number set there for the $perpage variable is set at 7.
    Generate more fake news.

Gary,

I just went to Geno's site:
    The newest FunToCollect dynamic template is up and available here.
    I downloaded the fun_to_collect.zip file, and uploaded all those files to one of my test directories as-is, I didn't even put my AID, and the templates were working just fine out of the box, and the pagination is working fine too.

I know that you're not using the sripts with the same pagination format as the one in the original template, but if you do what we did before, I am sure you can figure out where is the little bug.

I deleted all my files on a test directory, uploaded the all the files of the fun_to_collect.zip file, tested all the features and made sure they worked out of the box, then I deleted those files and put my own other files back the way I had it. And I did all that in less time that it has taken me to write this post.

So the bug must be a missing: ; or ' or ", etc. but, maybe you missed one of those things, when you pasted the script.

Just curious, not related to the pagination issue, does the config.inc file have your username and/or password in it?
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Just curious, not related to the pagination issue, does the config.inc file have your username and/or password in it?
    Are you talking to me?

I guess you're, because I see no one else here... ~ Robert De Niro.

I don't use the fun_to_collect.zip templates, I use my own version, so I do use my u-p +.

With the fun_to_collect templates you don't have to, because you're calling the feed from outside.

Mr. Sal, you or WriterGuy since you're familiar with the script. Wondering if the username/password is part of the config.inc file or if they are in another file.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Ok, I went ahead and downloaded the script, funny thing, I wrote a script that does very much the same thing last year for myself.

Gary, if you're using a version that has a config.inc file and not the new config.php, please download and start using the new version on the site. I know you'll lose your customization, but it's important to make this change.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Wondering if the username/password is part of the config.inc file or if they are in another file.
    If you're using the fun_to_collect templates that Geno have available, you don't have to worry about the username/password on any of those files, you just have to make sure to modify this line: $affiliate_id = "Your-Aff-ID"; otherwise you will not get pay.

If you're using your own config.inc file, then you must have this in there:

$dbhost = "Site.com";
    $dbuser = "You";
    $dbpass = "Your-Pass";
    $dbname = "Your-DataBase-Name";
    $product_table = "Your-Table-Name";
    $affiliate_id = "Your-Aff-ID";

As if the username/password can also be on another file, that is up to you, on how much security you want to have on the other files.

Usually you just put all that critical info on the config.inc file, and then just call that file with:

<?php include ('config.inc');
    //Your code here...
    ?>

On any other file you need it.

If you are using your own modification of this or any script, you don't want to have a username/password in a .inc file, it is a security issue. Doing an include such as:
    PHP Code:
    <?php include ('config.inc');
    Does not eliminate the security concern. I learned the hard way a couple of years ago. It's important to keep username/password combinations in a .php (or other parsable ) file.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

If you are using your own modification of this or any script, you don't want to have a username/password in a .inc file, it is a security issue. Doing an include such as:
    PHP Code:
    <?php include ('config.inc');
    Does not eliminate the security concern. I learned the hard way a couple of years ago. It's important to keep username/password combinations in a .php (or other parsable ) file.
    I don't use any .inc

The only reason I posted like that, was because:
    Wondering if the username/password is part of the config.inc file or if they are in another file.
    You asked with the .inc in there, so I renamed my reply to .inc just to make sure that we were talking about the same file.

And you're right about the security thing.

Gary,

I just compared the category.php file that you have sent me, with other 5 of the same category.php files that I found on my HD with different dates, and after checking all 6 category.php files line by line, I don't see anything different.

So your bug, is definitely on some other php file, on that directory!

I quit!

Mr. Sal,

Thanks for that. You're probably right. Now I'll go see what's happening with other files.

But on the non-customized, straight out of the "box" version I put up at on of my sites, with absolutely no modifications except my SAS user ID number -- it still fails to work as it should to do the pagination?
    Generate more fake news.

Gary,

I've just sent you a PM. Please keep me posted on what you find out.

Geno

A clue! A clue! I may have a clue!

I just swapped email with a PHP/MySQL buddy who tells me he's having almost exactly the same problem with pagination on a similar script he wrote last summer. He changed hosts to a different server, and the script stopped working. He thinks it has something to do with the version of PHP or MySQL on his new host. The same script, he says, is continuing to work on the old server.

So how would an updated version of PHP or MySQL have affected the script I'm asking about? I changed web hosts a few weeks ago after my previous host's server crashed. I have no idea of what versions of PHP/MySQL the old host used, and I don't know without looking it up about my new host. But is this the sort of thing which could be causing the pagination to fail?

I honestly have no way of knowing and no memory for sure of whether the pagination was actually working on the old server. And all my sites are with the new host on their server now?

Suggestions?
    Generate more fake news.

Create a text file with only the following in it
    Code:
    php_flag register_globals on
    Upload it to your server via ftp in ascii format then rename it .htaccess (note the period at the beginning of the file name.)

Check to see if you already have a .htaccess file, if you do then simply add that line as the last line of the file.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Create a text file with only the following in it
    Code:
    php_flag register_globals on
    Upload it to your server via ftp in ascii format then rename it .htaccess (note the period at the beginning of the file name.)

Check to see if you already have a .htaccess file, if you do then simply add that line as the last line of the file.
    Okay. It worked. Now the script works.

Tell me the magic -- please, please, explain it to me.

And thank you SO MUCH!
    Generate more fake news.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread