Question Huge Site or Niche?
    I have a niche that can go for miles and miles in the sidebar..... I plan on doing at least 14 different sub-niches with it and don't want the navigation to get to cumbersome.... that sidebar is gonna get real nasty real quick..... and drop down menus are not an option because one of the sub-niches is gonna be a doozy.....

let's pretend that it's jewelry (it's not) and let's pretend that I own the domain name Great Things (I don't)..... I like Wordpress if that helps.....

Should I:

1. Purchase more domains like Great Diamonds, Great Pearls, Great Gold, etc and install WP for each, then tie it all in through the Great Things main site?

2. Just do a massive site, then list my niches in the sidebar with a few popular links for it and a See More>> link.... then create a landing page for each niche..... even though the site will be awesomely massive when I'm done, the navigation wouldn't be as cumbersome.... sort of like what Amazon does in their sidebar.....

I'm not sure which route to take for SEO.... on the one hand, a huge site might make me an authority.... on the other hand, niches could translate into more search engine hits because each site would be more tightly focused..... on the other hand, so many different sites will be a huge PITA to maintain.... on the other hand.... GAH!!!

Either way will look good and will gel together nicely....

One massive site or niche it out?

Hi Kayecee,

I think you have another option for organization, if your host allows it, use sub-domains for your sub niches. e.g. Diamonds.GreatThings, Pearls.GreatThings, Gold.GreatThings, etc.

With sub-domains... They would be like separate departments all under one store, if you get what I mean.

Kent

Hmmmmm...... yes.... yes.... my host does allow an unlimited number of sub-domains.... I could do a fresh install of WP at each sub-domain then tie it in through the main domain..... I could even call each one Great Diamonds, Great Pearls, etc.

still a big PITA to keep up with everything, butttt..... I want to pull as much organic traffic as possible and this would allow me to niche it out without having the expense of 14 extra domain purchases.... hmmmmmm......

Is Google ok with sub-domains.... or will they put the smack down on me for some arbitrary Google-god reason?

Thanks!

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I believe both of your questions have already been answered in earlier threads. Do a SEARCH.

Anyway. There are many ways to do a website. niche sites, small sites, medium sites, large sites, huge sites, etc. They all have pros and cons. It all depends on your goals and how you organize your information.

Sub-domains count for exactly what they are. sub-domains. Google will display results accordingly.

I have gone both ways ( not in a literal sense ). Both work. Both are time consuming and both have DIFFERENT long term implications.

Owning a whole bunch of domain names that begin with Great or whatever it may be, can get expensive once the renewals come around BUT you are building a BRAND along the way and although one particular site may not be your bread and butter the overall combined success of the BRAND will be your home run. Owning multiple domain names could also provide you some flexibility in selling individual sites as well.

Sub domains are less expensive but are penalized in my opinion by those that matter.

Either way.....you can win. Don't Ever Give Up! No Matter What! Ever

Outsourced Program Manager Rick - Bitcom's Avatar
    I think subdomains is the way to go. But it really depends on the effect on your navigation too. You certainly want to make your site visitor-friendly.

I think it also depends, as lost deviant has pointed out, on what the content is and how you want to organize it. If it relates well and someone coming for one thing would be interested in something else... well that could effect your approach.

Talking
    Lost Deviant..... I did do a search.... I found one thread mildly relevant.... the others that seemed relevant were very old, and search engines change at the speed of light sometimes..... I'm just trying to weigh everything out before I organize my information.... thanks....

IOWNIE..... both ways, huh? I've heard differing opinions on the matter.... some think they are penalized.... others think no.... I'm still torn on that..... well known sites like iVillage and even Google itself uses subdomains..... can you elaborate a bit on what you meant by the different long term implications? Thanks.

Rick..... dividing everything up to make it more manageable for customers is one reason that I thought of branching out into niches with one main landing page to send people to different subdomains.... I've got a buddy from another site who owns several shops that she has linked together.... you can leave one and go to another without really realizing that you've left the first unless you look at the address bar.... that's sort of what I was thinking of doing.... Thanks.

I think I may just start with subdomains, then purchase the real names and point them to the subdomains IF it looks like the sites are going to be a hit..... that way, (for example) if someone asks me where to find great pearls, I can give a simple URL... if everything crashes and burns, I won't have over $100 worth of domains to worry about....

Thanks for all of the input.

Outsourced Program Manager Rick - Bitcom's Avatar
    Sounds like you're on the right track there Kayecee.

Thanks Rick!

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread