Widgets and Web 2.0
    Just a general observation on the widgets as a whole. I know that they are not the most web 2.0 looking things out there.

Any chance that SAS could do a redesign on the widgets as a whole to get them into web 2.0 (rounded corners) mode?

I haven't been with SAS for a long time, so I don't know how long they have offered this same style.

-sfcom

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    sfcom,

The widgets are designed by individual merchants in terms of their colors, products, HTML, etc...

We decided to concentrate on more function than form since we wanted merchants to be able to customize their widgets...but an overhaul may be done at some point to allow for "cooler" looking things.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

I understand need for the custom widgets availability for each merchant.

I was only referring to the fact that many of these pre-2000 looking widgets don't visually fit in a lot of today's websites. I agree that an update is needed and probably has been needed for a while.

-sfcom

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    I must admit that I am not sure what a pre-2000 widget looked like...
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian - ShareASale
    I must admit that I am not sure what a pre-2000 widget looked like...
    lol. Classic case of thinking one thing and typing another. Sorry about that. I meant pre-2005. I would also like to see a pre-2000 widget.

At any rate, the point is to come up with something that improves conversion rates. Possibly just some improvement in this area, as you have to admit...the current selection looks out of place on some websites.

A simple browse of widgetbox (dot) com will give you some fresh ideas.

-sfcom

In keeping with my keen insight and ability to always be the last to know anything, I'll come right out there and ask the question all here fear to ask:

What in the world REALLY is a "Web 2.0" look??

For that matter, what is a "pre-2005 widget look"??

I can't be the only one out there, am I, who hears constantly about Web 2.0 but really hasn't a clue exactly what that means, in terms of marketing, website design, etc.?

My theory is that there's a cabal of web designers out there who learned to like the mantra "Web 2.0" and are obsessed with convincing all the rest of it that it really MEANS something.

Sorry, I really don't mean to be sarcastic here. I would really like someone to direct me to solid, useful information about how to market, how to put together websites, how to think, etc., in ways that will successfully work in the "Web 2.0" world.

Of course, being your average Old Bald Guy, I may honestly be the only one out there who's not gotten the memo.

The rest of you guys already know this stuff??
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by sfcom
    A simple browse of widgetbox (dot) com will give you some fresh ideas.
    Those are all Flash widgets, no?

G.

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    ...What in the world REALLY is a "Web 2.0" look??

For that matter, what is a "pre-2005 widget look"??...
    I appreciate your interest to learn new things, but you might get a better response if you made a new thread on that.

-sfcom

Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    Those are all Flash widgets, no?

G.
    Take a look at this one and some interesting ideas start to form. Sure, it is simple, but once the design is done then it is just clone and reuse. There are many different concepts that exist at that site that aren't that hard to emulate or adapt to your own needs.

-sfcom

We'll split the thread if we need to SF.

Gary:

I think it's important to think of Web 2.0 as being more of a religion than a reality. While large fonts, rounded corners, and social interaction are it's sacraments, at the end of the day it really only satisfies techies to actually call it that. 99% of web users could give a crap.

As an example, Facebook is considered a Web 2.0 site. It allows user customization, private messaging, module add on support, and drag and drop stuff. It presumes to have marketability, but read a bit about advertising to the "Web 2.0 crowd", and you'll get varying opinions on its effectiveness. For example, sit down for a beer with Snib and I someday and you'll get two completely different opinions at the table.

That said, it would be nice to have some design options for widgets at SAS that aren't there yet.

But lets not forget that they make it easy for merchants to offer widgets, which is a step ahead of some networks already.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Take a look at this one and some interesting ideas start to form. Sure, it is simple, but once the design is done then it is just clone and reuse. There are many different concepts that exist at that site that aren't that hard to emulate or adapt to your own needs.
    Ok. I'll have to have a closer at their HTML widgets.

I also agree that adding curved borders to SaS' widgets would make them look more "modern".

Geno

Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    We'll split the thread if we need to SF...
    Why not just do it instead of say it? That way he could get more opinions outside of the SAS forum.

JMHO.

-sfcom

Man, everybody is fiesty these days.

I don't think we should split it. After all the talk of it being tough to find things here to begin with, and the thread stating specifically that you wanted Web 2.0 Widgets, how is discussing the meaning of a Web 2.0 widget not appropriate? Need to define the term in order to have someone who doesn't understand the question understand the answer.

And Gary knows where the Web 2.0 forum is here. He can go ask a similar question there if he wants.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    Man, everybody is fiesty these days.

I don't think we should split it. After all the talk of it being tough to find things here to begin with, and the thread stating specifically that you wanted Web 2.0 Widgets, how is discussing the meaning of a Web 2.0 widget not appropriate? Need to define the term in order to have someone who doesn't understand the question understand the answer.

And Gary knows where the Web 2.0 forum is here. He can go ask a similar question there if he wants.
    You're one of the bosses. I only post here. I just thought there would be more response to the question if people knew Gary had a question.

-sfcom

I don't disagree. But it's important for the content o be here too.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

I'm sorry if my question was a bit off topic. I really should take it to the Web 2.0 forum.
    In fact, I suppose I should look and search around that forum first, as someone may well have my answer there already.

Back to the widgets, people. I'll move along to the Web 2.0 forum.
    Generate more fake news.

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    I like the widgets and the their function and I can create hundreds of furniture widgets but when I did a few months back, I received too many requests fordesign, sizes, colors, etc. So I stoped and only left the coupon widget, which also received a few requests for colors and the style.

It would be great if SAS can look towards making them affiliate customizable too so that I can create then and affiliates can adjust easy, otherwise I would need to send different html for each request. Atleast this is how it was, not sure since I have not checked so I could be missing some new features, enhancements added lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge - JRami
    ...It would be great if SAS can look towards making them affiliate customizable too...
    That would be wonderful. No more affs bothering you with this or that request. Just design it and be done with it. Interesting concept.

-sfcom

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    That would be wonderful. No more affs bothering you with this or that request. Just design it and be done with it. Interesting concept.
    -sfcom
    Not what I mean sfcom. I mean I can create any design you want any time, but there are hundreds of affiliates that never get emails and never DO bother me they just want their own option to create and change styles colors or anything on the 'spot' not have to email then wait for me to design, then if they all of a sudden want to also put that same widget category on another site, they have to stop and wait for me again.

I'm just saying to give the freedom to the affiliates to make changes to design any time 24/7.

Well, it would help the affiliate and the AM/OPM be more productive. That way the affiliate gets what they want for their site ASAP and the AM/OPM gets to work on other things to make the program better.

Often times if an affiliate has to ask for something, we simply don't. Send an email...get a reply...wait on widget... Hey, I'm already on to 5 other projects. Now that widget has gone from top priority (when I was sending the request email) to low priority because of other projects.

-sfcom

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread