Fraudulent Affiliates?
    Is there a list of affiliates that are fraudulent? I assume there are viruses or other ways to force popups. Or if someone goes to a website, to redirect them through their affiliate url.

I can not find any information on [edit] Are they legitimate?
    Last edited by Merchant Consultant Team; January 30th, 2008 at 02:03 PM.

First of all, welcome to ABestWeb!

Secondly, to answer your question: I'd check these two parts of this forum:

Finally, when investigating a specific affiliate, I would first contact the affiliate themselves and ask them for an explanation of how they plan to promote your affiliate program. They may have more than one or two sites they have listed on their profile. Talk to them.

Additionally, in case with ShareASale, they have an in-network feedback system where merchants can leave comments about any affiliate, and these comments are viewable by other merchants. If an affiliate has been previously caught in fraudulent activity, you will more than likely see a respective comment in their feedback.

Hope this helps, and again, welcome to ABW!

Geno

Welcome to ABW!

To add to Geno, you may also want to consider subscribing to AffiliateFairPlay.com as well. Kellie weeds out of affiliates that are considered parasites and offers proof of their wrong-doing. She also gives some information about certain affiliates in her blog.
    KK

I don't think you should post the sitename here either, even if it is not an URL, it is confidential.

Quote Originally Posted by bowlingball.com
    I can not find any information on [snip]. Are they legitimate?
    Let me guess.... you noticed some trademark and/or domain name bidding? That affiliate does it for a lot of SAS merchants.

If that is the case, you may want to check out TrademarkPoachers.com as well.
    KK

Quote Originally Posted by ghoti
    Let me guess.... you noticed some trademark and/or domain name bidding? That affiliate does it for a lot of SAS merchants.
    I've looked through all of my affiliate programs and found them in one (where they have generated 0 hits for me). However, when I click affiliate details, I see this:

When I click that "feedback records" link I do not see any records, but the score is obviously showing that the merchants/AMs that rated this affiliate were not very happy with him/her.

I myself have never dealt with this particular affiliate, but that lowest possible negative score (based on 5 records) is something you definitely want to pay attention to.

Geno

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    I've looked through all of my affiliate programs and found them in one (where they have generated 0 hits for me). However, when I click affiliate details, I see this:

When I click that "feedback records" link I do not see any records, but the score is obviously showing that the merchants/AMs that rated this affiliate were not very happy with him/her.

I myself have never dealt with this particular affiliate, but that lowest possible negative score (based on 5 records) is something you definitely want to pay attention to.

Geno
    WHOA!!!

Merchants give us lowly affiliates RATINGS? On a Point scale?

Am I in a vacuum here or are others aware of this?
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    This is news to me, too. I can think of one SAS merchant who probably doesn't like me much but that's because I called their AM out for lying about their commission structure.

I have mixed feelings about the value of this rating system. My main objection is that it's not reciprocal and it's done without the knowledge of the affiliate. It gives the affiliate no opportunity to rebut a negative rating that is personally motivated or unwarranted.

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    ...Merchants give us lowly affiliates RATINGS? On a Point scale?

Am I in a vacuum here or are others aware of this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    This is news to me, too...
    It's called a "feedback feature" and affiliates can reply/react to it. It was announced back on 30 November at http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=98195 and also at http://www.shareasaleblog.com/blog/?postid=97

I do not believe that expressing personal sympathy (or lack thereof) would have to do anything with this.

Geno

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Thanks, Geno, I had no idea!

However I can't find a link to anything called "feedback feature." Where in the affiliate interface can I find that link? What is it called?

Muchos!

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    I wanna know my score! LOL

And also I'd love to reply to any negative feedback left about me if it's out there. Too bad we can't similarly rate merchants.

I's also love to see my overall EPC and stats in SAS. Like the CJ and Pfmx bar rating or anything similar. I'm not at all worried I'd have a bad rating, just know of at least 1 merchant who would be vindictive enough to trash me and I would certainly want to add a reply or rebuttal.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    I wanna know my score! LOL

And also I'd love to reply to any negative feedback left about me if it's out there....
    You didn't have any feedback Rexanne. That is probably why you wasn't aware of any.

For the purpose of testing, as well as because I really think what I wrote, I have just left a feedback for you.

Does SaS notify you of the feedback via e-mail?

Geno

I wasn't aware of this feature either, but would LOVE the chance to rate some of my merchants, lol. I'm happy with most, but there is one that I would love to comment negatively on.

Maybe if we get enough votes in for it, they can put that feature in for affiliate as well.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    This would be a good time for me to take back anything bad I've ever said about any merchant!

What I meant was "I love you all. I worship you all"

LOL

I think that is probably the page that shows when you log in where it says your account status is OK and no fraud is suspected. The "OK" looks like a link. I always thought it was weird but if that is what it is, it makes sense - a link to respond to any negative feedback..

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by ghoti
    I didn't see what was edited out and if they were bidding on bowlingball.com or just bowling ball, bowling balls etc, which are just generic keywords and targetted. Some merchants have domains which are common words which shouldn't be a problem.

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    I have mixed feelings about the value of this rating system. My main objection is that it's not reciprocal and it's done without the knowledge of the affiliate. It gives the affiliate no opportunity to rebut a negative rating that is personally motivated or unwarranted.
    Actually... if a merchant leaves negative feedback, it will then show up in your account and give you a chance to respond or rebut the claim.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    I didn't see what was edited out and if they were bidding on bowlingball.com or just bowling ball, bowling balls etc, which are just generic keywords and targetted. Some merchants have domains which are common words which shouldn't be a problem.
    I don't know what specific concerns bowlingball.com has with this particular affiliate, because right now a different SAS affiliate is bidding for the keyword "bowlingball.com". But when I checked SAS's top 100 EPC merchants a couple months ago, this affiliate was bidding on the brand name or domain of almost 20 of those merchants (and they aren't just generic names like "bowling ball"). I didn't check which of those merchants allow that stuff and which don't. Anyway, we're digressing here...
    Last edited by ghoti; January 30th, 2008 at 04:55 PM.

15 years and counting
    Didn't know about it but I like this feature.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    You didn't have any feedback Rexanne. That is probably why you wasn't aware of any.

For the purpose of testing, as well as because I really think what I wrote, I have just left a feedback for you.

Does SaS notify you of the feedback via e-mail?

Geno
    Thanks Geno - I didn't get any notification. I'm also assuming you said something positive. LOL
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Thanks Geno - I didn't get any notification. I'm also assuming you said something positive. LOL
    I did.

Sounds like (cf: Brian's post above) that you can only see and reply to negative feedback. Is this a correct assumption, Brian?

Geno

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Yes...negative feedback only on the notification and rebuttal, etc...
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Just a thought: it may be good to make it mandatory for a merchant to enter the reasons (or the explanation) for any negative rating given. In case with the above affiliate, they have an overall rating of -1, but not a single clarification of why they were rated so.

Thanks,

Geno

Just a thought: it may be good to make it mandatory for a merchant to enter the reasons (or the explanation) for any negative rating given. In case with the above affiliate, they have an overall rating of -1, but not a single clarification of why they were rated so.

Thanks,

Geno
    SAS hides the feedback after 30 days, but keeps the rating visible.

Personally, I wish the feedback was available for a lot longer. It's hard to use the rating for much without the comments, as sometimes the ratings are for something minor like emails sent through SAS bouncing and sometimes they're for something worse like spam or TM poaching.

In any case, considering most affiliates have no feedback at all, 5 for a -1 average is an affiliate I'd steer well clear of.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread