I saw an affiliate site (dont want to name it)that when you click on a merchant link it takes you to page like this:

http://www.affsite.com/merhcants/merchantname.html

On this page the merchant's site is loaded like it would in any other link, without any frames on or anything. But the URL still reads like above. When you click on the other pages in the merchant site the url never changes.

I know that some parasites reads shopper's address bar to pop up their ads accordingly. So this may be a way to stop them.

I tried to look at the source to see how it's done but all I get was:
    <!-- !STOP! WARNING: you are not authorized to view this Code - Close your text editor immediately -->

It's some kind of page framing or javascript, I think, and can be figured out but I wanted know if you know anything about this.

Do you think it can prevent parasites?
    Do all parasites read address bar to pop up?

Sam, That's Affiliatelinkcloaker - .com, and if you scroll ALL the way down in the View Source you can see it is a framed page. For every link you frame, you have to load it to your website as a new page.

There's something about it in another thread - MsB, moderator, said she was getting a demo of it but now I can't find the thread or topic to see if it continues.

Karin

I think it stops parasites. If not all, then at least part of them.

Rosalind Gardner earned $436,797 in 2002 by promoting only affiliate programs. She reveals ALL her secrets step by step in her Super Affiliate Handbook (267 pages) www.renio.biz/rosalind/

ABW Ambassador
    It could be both:
    javascript or frames. I use both but I can not tell you anything if it works or not as antiparasite.

carneol

It's worth noting that using frames to display a merchants website violates many TOS agreements. I was even dropped by a merchant for framing their site.

Just something to think about before you do it...

Freecloud

Maybe they use server side redirect (.htaccess file). Could you give me the URL of that site? I’ll try to get page source.

Thank you

Som

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Yes that is affiliatelinkcloaker. I post about it in this thread.

What I said was that I set through their online demo. I don't know if they even offer a demo version of the software. It is software to cloak your links.

What I did say it to be very careful in using it since link cloaking is a violation of many TOS. If it is utilizing frames, that is also a violation of many.

I have no idea if it does protect against the parasites. But merchants could very well have an issue with their website appearing to be your domain.

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    The BEST way to protect your affiliate income from parasites is to convince people to switch off "activex" controls within Internet Explorer, or better yet, suggest they try out Netscape Navigator 7 or suchlike.

That way, no more drive-by installs.

And put the doxdesk javascript on your site to help make people aware when they are alredy infected.

Jimmy James Inc. fan club membership # 3312

ABW Ambassador
    So is framing your links so that when a user clicks your affiliate link taking you to the merchants site with your url showing in the address bar help against parasites? If so i don't have any problem doing this with some merchants.

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."
    --Wayne Calloway

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ms. B:
    Yes that is affiliatelinkcloaker. I post about it <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, Ms. B, you always beat me.

I don't know about cloaking aspect, but some merchants DO allow their sites to be framed such as Overtock.com.

This also has other advantages for affiliates:
    if a visitor decide to bookmark merchant's site anytime, they'd be bookmarking your URL, thus refreshing your cookie everytime they revisit, which I'm sure merchants would hate it.

Also, it hide the originial site network tracking code from SE spiders, so if conspiracy theories about Google true, it would be a way to beat it.

And the big BUT; it would be really bad if you're violating a merhcant's commission by doing then be dropped and get all your commissions be slept on.

How do I have topic thread updates emailed to me without having to post a message?
    Last edited by mooodyman; July 16th, 2005 at 07:50 PM. Reason: forgot to have emai sent to me...Duh

Not only is it against the TOS for many programs, but it can also cause cookies not to work depending on the browser and the merchant's site. I wouldn't recommend it.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    At the Menu Bar at the top of the first page go to Thread Tools --> Subscribe To This Thread.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread