Question Newbie at CJ, wondering about creating links
    Hello all,

I recently signed up with Commission Junction and was in the process of adding a few advertisers to my coupon code site.

I want to make link with just the coupon code itself and not an entire phrase like

"Save 25% with coupon code SAVE25 at XYZ merchant"

I see the box that says

"Text Hyperlink" with all the above phrase typed in.

I tried to take all the other text out so it just read SAVE25 and then when I copy and paste and upload I get the entire sentence back.

This link type is supposed to be a "Custom creative link" yet I can't seem to customize it to save my life.

Please assist me.

Sounds like you're using the javascript link, in which case that's going to happen every time. You can't make changes to javascripts. Most people around here recommend against using those javascript codes. There was a big brouhaha around here when CJ first introduced those javascript links and tried to force everybody to use them with plans to phase out the html code. After the firestorm that ensued, they finally relented and decided to give people the choice. They would prefer you use the javascript but really, you're better off not.

Use the html code. Then you can change the verbiage to whatever you want it to be.

Tracy, thank you for responding so quickly.

I did a google search for "affiliate links html or java" while I was waiting and saw 100's of articles petitions etc about this issue.

From what I read CJ relented on a quick forcing of java but not on it eventually being java only has this been changed ?

ie. is it completely safe to use html or will I be going back and redoing all my links in 6 months ?

As far as my original question I would like to comment that having that box there in the first place is just plain lame. As soon as I click javascript code it should just grey out that box if i cant edit it.

Also I noticed that for the particular advertiser I am attempting to link to only 3 out of 27 links have the html option. Is this typical of advertisers ?

And last but not least what are the major advantages or disadvanteges to html vs javascript when creating affiliate links ?

TIA

Oh my, that was well over a year ago. There was such an uproar about it at the time. The program was called LMI. If you use the search feature here to search the Commission Junction forum for LMI or Javascript you'll find a lot of threads about it.

Here is a thread proclaiming it was over: LMI is D-E-A-D!. So, no I don't think you'll be having to change out links in a few months if you use the html. The majority of affiliates would rebel if they tried it again.

I have always used only html and it works fine for me. I also have stopped including the tracking pixel link because people have reported here that some antivirus programs report the pages as bad to users. There's more about that in the CJ threads, as well.

Also, I believe a lot of people didn't want to use java because if you put too many on one page it really slowed the page loading down.

I'm not a techie. There are others here who can explain why affiliates rejected LMI and why it is better to use html.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread