I have another question for anyone who knows? Its about Sitemaps... Google says I should have sitemaps for my 36 blogs...Should I? If so, what are they? Anyone?

As Always, Thanks!

Constance

Admin Note: Sitemap question split off from http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=100617

Haiko,
    you moved this while I was answering it, now my answer looks out of place.. sorta makes me look like a moron...

I've looked worse! HAHA

Here is what I said in the other thread;

36 BLOGS?
    wow!

A sitemap is a good idea..

A sitemap is a file that contains all the locations of each page on your web site.
    YOu create a file and tell google where it is, google finds it and uses it to learn about your site.

Go to google and search for Google sitemap. They have an area to loging for sitemaps and get you started.

Marty,

Actually it looks like the answer is right on target no?
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Haiko,
    I am hoping someone can explain it better than me.. but I gave it a shot..

To answer the "should I" question, yes, you should. You really, really should. And since you're talking about blogs, there's probably a plugin for your blogging platform that will generate it for you. My WordPress blogs all have a plugin that will add any new posts or pages to the site map. It's a "set it and forget it" kinda thing.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    yes you should have site maps..

I have site maps on all of my sites too. Like Daniel, I also use a plugin to do all that.

Site maps help you get organic search results.

Quote Originally Posted by HecticDMC
    To answer the "should I" question, yes, you should. You really, really should. And since you're talking about blogs, there's probably a plugin for your blogging platform that will generate it for you. My WordPress blogs all have a plugin that will add any new posts or pages to the site map. It's a "set it and forget it" kinda thing.
    Just be careful with that plugin. I have found that it will operate as normal without warnings when it actually is doing nothing instead. Just double-check on it every once in a while.

-sfcom

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Yes, there are plugins for Wordpress to automatically create sitemaps. If you are using Wordpress, download the plugin, install it, configure it, hit save, then sign up for a Google Webmaster account, submit the sitemap, upload a test file, you are done. Lather, rise, repeat 35 more times. (Except for signing up for a Google Webmaster Account)

My sites do better in organic search without site maps.

I didn't have a sitemap and did good - added a site map and did bad - removed the site map and did good again.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
    My sites do better in organic search without site maps.

I didn't have a sitemap and did good - added a site map and did bad - removed the site map and did good again.
    I was just wondering if I should come and ask how to do site maps on my sites.

Thanks BurgerBoy for stopping me to mess around with my sites.

Just make sure that you have a link from your home page to every page on your site thru categories, sub-categories, and so forth so that the SE's can find every page on your site by following links from your home page on down through the rest of the pages and site..

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

If you have quality backlinks you could picked up by Google very easily, it is also true that you should have sitemaps but my opinion not an obligation.

But on the other side it is a good option if you use webmaster tools so you can take control of your web site see stats and details etc.

Also it is important to have good builded sitemap. For this as you know there is free tools which you can build your own sitemap.

There is also another point that you can create a simple page linked from home page which containt clearly your main pages, use "site map" anchor text and let google pick it!

Not really sure how well they do or if it matters. lol I'm kinda experimenting. Both my sites have the sitemaps on them that I made for them and that the visitors and everybody else sees telling them the pages, little bout what's on each page, and all the pages on the site. One site has a google sitemap, the other one doesn't....ummm can't really say there's a difference tho. They're both getting indexed and showing up in search results so umm not sure what positive or negative there is to having one. But.......I do love going to the webmasters tool like affiliate_ said and being able to look at the info for the one site. So....am thinking for that reason having it for both sites.

I recently came across a really valuable SiteMap FAQ that was provided on the Official Google Webmaster blog...I think this may help you immensely!

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogsp...maps-faqs.html

Yeap, skimmed thru it quickly and you're absolutely right. It is very helpful in answering quite a lot of question. Thank you for posting it.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread