Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Feb 1st - Day One - Anyone else?
    It's tough to start a new diet/fitness lifestyle change when recovering from surgery. So, following doctors orders, I've been home, eating and drinking what I choose for the last couple of weeks.
    Over the last couple of days, I have picked up my activitiy levels to what they were before surgery (computer - fridge - couch - washroom - kids across street to school) and have even done a bit more walking and stairs to test everything out.
    And so it begins.

Tomorrow - I start.
    I'm putting it out there so I will have some accountablility.

Ice cream, milk shakes and smoothies to soothe my throat (It's still messed up from surgery and my voice hasn't come back) are being replaced with ice chips and home made smoothies.

Fast food is being replaced by sandwiches, fruit and veggies prepared before hand.

Couch time is being replaced with excercise time.

Xbox time ... well you don't mess with my xbox time, but I am going to be doing that on a reward basis. 30 minutes of moderate exercise = 15 minutes of xbox.

I am at 263 now and am aiming for 230 come May first. Ultimately my goal weight is 195. It seems so far away.

No expensive gym memberships, no expensive workout machines, in part because having been sick the moneys not there, but more so because I've never followed through on them and I want to make sure when I join I am committed. No, I'm doing it the old fashioned way in the beginning. Lots of cardio (walk-runs, swimming, skating) mixed with a little strength training (resistance until the Dr says I can do some weight work). We have some exercise routine videos around so I can mix those up and use them as well.

When I hit my first goal, I have set a couple of rewards, one being a gym membership, but the other being a jump. I always thought it would be funny to get healthy then jump out of a perfectly good plane. Thing is, you need to be under a certain weight to do it and I haven't been at those weights in years.

2007 was the year of high cholesteral, palpatations and cancer.
    2008 is the year of appreciation and a lifestyle change.

Wish me ... consistancy and commitment.
    And if you want to join me, let me know. Moral support is always welcome.
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

Dawg,

I got your back and I'm right here with ya on the same mission.

It's all about behavior modification, eating right, knowing portion control and raising your exercise levels. I'd say the first year, I mostly learned how to eat and what to eat (lost 120). Then for the next six months I've been working on cardio and resistance (the next 60) and I'm still going so obviously I was at a weight that most would just take me out back and shoot me. It isn't easy, but shit, it's definitely worth it for longevity, no pills nor procedures will increase your life nor your quality of life, just remember that every day is a challenge and you'll need to stay the path, you can always veer off but if you know why your doing it, you most certainly can do it.

6-8 months you should be at your goal weight. It's an incredible learning experience ( about your body and how it works) that's full of goal achieving and confidence building through a step by step process. Just remember, if you feel hungry, you've waited to long to eat.

I'm proud of ya buddy.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

WTG, popdawg. I do wish you "consistancy and commitment", and out of solidarity starting from tomorrow I will commit to return to the three-times-a-week swimming pattern (instead of the two times a week I've been doing lately).

Geno

Hey Popdawg!

I'm with ya, but in a seperate thread also. Tomorrow is the date for my start too. Anyone thinks I'm a bit snippy now...you just wait!

The important thing is resolving to improve our health, regardless of how its done.

Good luck to you and the others here. Stop on over if you get a chance.

-sfcom

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by popdawg
    2007 was the year of high cholesteral, palpatations and cancer.
    2008 is the year of appreciation and a lifestyle change.
    This is inspirational You go Pop!!!!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Woohoo Popdawg!

I actually started January 9th this year. I am on just a hair over 1600 calorie diet (per my bmi), and exercise for an hour to an hour and fifteen minutes Monday - Friday at our local Y ... no big gyms around here, and would prolly do more on Saturday and Sunday, but they have odd hours.

Regardless after a bit of a gain when I first started, I am now losing and losing a bit more consistantly.

I will continue to work hard with you Pop!

Best of luck and don't get discouraged .. it is hard but it is gonna be worth it !!
    KK

Thanks everyone.

Everytime in the past year or two that I've started I've always found "reasons" to stop.
    When I thought back about all these, I realized most of those reasons were caused by my poor health.

No more.

HaikoThank you. You have been a huge inspiration and motivator to me.

WTG, popdawg. I do wish you "consistancy and commitment", and out of solidarity starting from tomorrow I will commit to return to the three-times-a-week swimming pattern (instead of the two times a week I've been doing lately).
    Glad to hear it Geno. Yours and Haikos are two of the threads that have motivated me most.

sfcom I have and will be stopping by your thread so I'm right there with you.

Loxly Thanks Deb. We met at ASWest last year and when you see me next I'll be half (3/4s?) the man that you remember. I'll have the energy to keep up to all you folks

wait for it

And Deb is back from going through her photos to see what I looked like then.

Kristin Thank you too and way to go your self!! That's one of the challenges in why I haven't had much success with gyms in the past is the hours I operate are not always a match with theirs. Once I have the habit formed I am all over my local rec center. Regardless of hours, you make it happen, right
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

CPA Network Rep Dina - MarketLeverage Blogger's Avatar
    I am right there with you! I just signed up to do a 5K with my co-workers in April. I am starting to train for that because I don't want to be the only walker! Someone sent me a link for a program called "Couch to 5K". It is a good concept to build up to 5K over a couple of months.

I'm not going to be in Vegas, but I'll hop in.

I dropped 13 pounds in January, and I'm looking for another 10.

So I'll be in the trenches with the rest of you.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

http and a telephoto
    I remember very well what you looked like, your picture is with all the other special people in my head, no need to go look up the hard copy

Just be healthy, that's what matters. Final weight isn't the goal, good health is the goal.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by popdawg
    It's tough to start a new diet/fitness lifestyle change when recovering from surgery. So, following doctors orders, I've been home, eating and drinking what I choose for the last couple of weeks.
    Over the last couple of days, I have picked up my activitiy levels to what they were before surgery (computer - fridge - couch - washroom - kids across street to school) and have even done a bit more walking and stairs to test everything out.
    And so it begins.

Tomorrow - I start.
    I'm putting it out there so I will have some accountablility.

Ice cream, milk shakes and smoothies to soothe my throat (It's still messed up from surgery and my voice hasn't come back) are being replaced with ice chips and home made smoothies.

Fast food is being replaced by sandwiches, fruit and veggies prepared before hand.

Couch time is being replaced with excercise time.
    It sounds like you're up to a good start, popdawg.
    I am at 263 now and am aiming for 230 come May first. Ultimately my goal weight is 195. It seems so far away.
    Since your first goal is to lose just 33 pounds in 90 days, I believe that you can do it!

That's just about 2˝ pounds a week for 12 weeks, a very realistic and doable goal.
    No expensive gym memberships, no expensive workout machines, in part because having been sick the moneys not there, but more so because I've never followed through on them and I want to make sure when I join I am committed.
    Like they say: "why join a gym if you're not going to attend?"

Now, once you know that you're going to be going there regularly, then joining a gym is a very good idea, and not only just to lose weight.

About most of those workout machines we see advertise on TV, all I want to say is that, even tho some of those machines might work, one of the biggest problem I see on those infomercials, are the subliminal messages that most of them send as a guarantee.

No, it's not the lose this or that amount, nor the money back guarantee (less S/H) too, it's the...

And almost all of them, claim something like this:

It's so lightweight and portable, that you can carry it from room to room, and even to your office. (that sounds like a vacuum cleaner comercial)
    Easy to fold, when not in use!
    Easily fits under the bed, when not in use!
    Easily fits in your closet, when not in use!
    Can easily be rolled away, when not in use!

Etc...
    No, I'm doing it the old fashioned way in the beginning. Lots of cardio (walk-runs, swimming, skating) mixed with a little strength training (resistance until the Dr says I can do some weight work). We have some exercise routine videos around so I can mix those up and use them as well.
    That's the best, and more effective way to do it!
    When I hit my first goal, I have set a couple of rewards, one being a gym membership,
    That's a very good idea!
    but the other being a jump. I always thought it would be funny to get healthy then jump out of a perfectly good plane. Thing is, you need to be under a certain weight to do it and I haven't been at those weights in years.
    Sorry to tell you this popdawg, but that idea, sucks!

Look, if you feel that suicidal, why wait 90 days to lose 33 pounds and then jump from a plain?

I am not Kevorkian, but you can use my previously 21 days stunt starting tomorrow, and be ready to jump with Rexanne in less than 30 days, during the Summit in Vegas.

Wish me ... consistancy and commitment.
    And if you want to join me, let me know. Moral support is always welcome.
    I wish you luck, consistancy and commitment.

But, if you still want to jump from a perfectly good plane after losing the weight... Just make sure to finish the other things, on your bucket list, first!

Sal - Thanks and what a great post!!!

It's so lightweight and portable, that you can carry it from room to room, and even to your office. (that sounds like a vacuum cleaner comercial)
    Easy to fold, when not in use!
    Easily fits under the bed, when not in use!
    Easily fits in your closet, when not in use!
    Can easily be rolled away, when not in use!
    Normally I catch things like that, but you are 100% right and I had never noticed it before. They all DO say that don't they!

Hilarious!!!

I'm in the same boat as you, you can do it. The main things I can recommend is to drink tons of water, 4-6 liters/day and don't eat after 6pm.

Remember to keep your smile on today. Of course your body is not going to be thrilled with your decision to change. I know mine is showing a little resistance. How is everyone else doing?

Looking the title of your post, it got me to thinking about cycling again. So thanks to you I made my first cycle for 2008 today. The snow and ice has cleared up around here too. I felt great afterwards.

Last year it was about April before I got out - it was a bad snow year too though.

If you like walking, walk for 45 mins or preferably an hour each day, eat healthy and not too much, and you'll see a big improvement! That's what i did last year and lost about 20lbs in two months. I keep the weight gain under control by walking most days! Walking is not strenuous and can be quite relaxing too.

Im pretty much having to start light so I did in fact walk today and did some stairs .... actual stairs ... we have two flights in our home.
    ate well and according to my plan.

all told a solid start.

didn't kill myself and got a sweat on.
    not shabby considering i wasn't feeling well.

Whooo!!!!!

Thats a really good start man...despite your comment on my other post, I want to say nice job.

Lots of little things like that (couple stairs here, few more there) is the key for a lot of people.

I, for one, try to forget that escalators exist

Best of luck

First week was as expected ... fraught with temptation. Excuses kept throwing themselves at me, begging me to use them but I stayed, for the most part, strong and weighed in this morning at a light and fluffy .... 260.

Ok, light and fluffy for a baby elephant, but progress is progress.

How's everyone else doing?

Hey Pop! Saw ya posted in my diet thread and wanted to stop in and return the favor.

The first week went OK for me. The weekend was extremely hard with the Super Bowl. But, I got to the end of the week and I am down 7 lbs. Not very fun, and at times it was getting me mad, but I made it. One week down, at least 11 more to go. I combined it with walking too, so it is probably not just the diet.

Congrats on you making it through the first week! I'll make you a deal, Pop. You stick with it and I'll stick with it, OK?

Week 2---bring it on!

-sfcom

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Popdawg,
    Sounds like you're doing it. Good for you!

I'll be more than happy to jump out of a plane with you in Vegas - just say the word. If Adam is in Vegas, he'll be jumping, too. It's an incredible rush which lasts for at least 24 hours and really FUN! :-) Can't think of a better reward for all your hard work and diligence.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Hey Rexanne!
    Hey Rexanne!

(We met and had a great conversation a couple of affiliate summits ago)

I'm totally backing you on this: (the jumping out of a plane thing and) the getting in shape/activity up thing.

I'm wishing you a LOT of the three P's:
    Patience
    Persistence
    Perserverance

And a good healthy dose of the fourth:
    Partying

Jonathan

I just weighed myself and (yay!) I've lost about 5 pounds in the past month, bringing me down to 194.5 pounds this morning. (Thanks to Haiko for creating this forum, and to the others who've participating so that I am frequently reminded of my health goals frequently while sitting at my computer.)

My first "trick" was to simply keep a log of everything I eat. The log is just for me (I'm not giving it to a nutrtion or typing the data into a nutrition program, as I've done in the past), but I absolutely find it to be helpful because just the thought of writing "2 cookies" can lead me to choose to eat only 1 cookie.

I've also tried to be more active, including using the treadmill, but that's been inconsistent. For the past two weeks I've been rearranging my office, which is turning out to be a huge project, and moving file cabinets and bookcases is definitely a lot of exercise.

Go everyone! I just received my treadmill, so there is no excuse for not exercising. If I can sit on my arse and watch a 30 minute sitcom, then there is no reason that I can't be walking while watching!!!!

just insist on exercising, and eat healthy...

Dawg, hope the new diet and exercise routine is coming along for you.

I started back in November of last year and though I fell sick several times due to winter viruses, I stuck to the program. I've lost 15 pounds so far.

Just keep going and try to set a cut-off time at night so you don't end up eating past 8 or 9 PM. Cardio is obviously key, but so is rest.
    [B][URL=http://www.shareresults.com]Share Results[/URL]
    [URL=http://blog.shareresults.com]Visit our Share Results Blog Today[/URL][/B]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast