Pfaltzgraff ... New Advertising Rules
    I do some very mild Adwords advertising (a whopping $6.00 in January) for Pfaltzgraff because they always have allowed the use of "Pfaltzgraff" in the search terms. My website shows up as the domain name. I just received this legal mumbo jumbo ...

Please make note of the recent changes to our affiliate search marketing guidelines: * You may not use any name, trademark, service mark, domain name or other Intellectual Property Rights of Pfaltzgraff including variations and misspellings of said trademark in connection with Your use of any qualifying links, in any way or for any purpose that infringes or violates any Intellectual Property Rights or other rights of Pfaltzgraff, whether for the purpose of increasing the levels of tracked activities attributable to your qualifying links or for any other purpose. You may not register any domain name that contains our brand name. You may not use our brand name or domain name in the display domain in any search advertisement. All search advertisements must link directly to your own web site. Pfaltzgraff prohibits the use of the www.pfaltzgraff.com domain. * Pfaltzgraff does not authorize the use of "Official Site" in titles or descriptions. * Using pfaltzgraff.com including the use of Pfaltzgraff or misspellings in the title or display URL or domain is prohibited. * Using the registered symbol (R) or (TM) symbol is prohibited. * You shall not use pricing or price-promotions in search ads or landing pages. * Pfaltzgraff’s site cannot be framed by an affiliate landing page. * You shall not bid higher than Pfaltzgraff on any given search engine. We ask that you update your search marketing campaigns within the next 48 hours.
    Could somebody who understands the rules of the game of PPC advertising answer one question.

Does this mean that I can not use "Pfaltzgraff" in my search term? I paused the ad campaigns because I'm totally lost. I don't know how I'm supposed to advertise a brand without including it in my search term.

ABW Ambassador
    Doesn't make much sense since you can buy Pfaltzgraff at Amazon, Boscovs, Target etc. So people could always make ads and send the traffic to those other merchants instead.

"You shall not bid higher than Pfaltzgraff on any given search engine."

So it reads like you can still bid on them but just not have them in the advertisement, which again, makes no sense. So I would email them to see if they can clarify.

Thank you, Trust. You really have to wonder what they're thinking. I did a search for just "Pfaltzgraff" at Google and Pfaltzgraff comes up as the Featured adword, right above two FREE listings for their site.

So, basically, they would rather pay and beat out other "merchants" for adwords and be first on the ads then rely on the free listing. And they would rather other merchants get the sales instead of affiliates that would direct the traffic to them. Or are they going to pull their products from merchants who outbid them on adwords too?

ABW Ambassador
    "Or are they going to pull their products from merchants who outbid them on adwords too?"

I don't see that happening, it's one of those merchants where they're kind of the product too that people search on. Like the example I like to use with Ugg Australia where they told affiliates to stop bidding on them but there are plenty of shoe merchants that sell Uggs that would get the traffic instead. Never made any sense to me, it's like do you want these sales or should we send them to other merchants.

I think merchants who write rules like this should then provide a keyword list with maximum bids attached....friken bone heads do that not know it's possible to be less and place higher?

this is worded so strong i still don't know if i can even use the name "......" on the page

Click here to get plates lmao

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy
    Does this mean that I can not use "Pfaltzgraff" in my search term? I paused the ad campaigns because I'm totally lost. I don't know how I'm supposed to advertise a brand without including it in my search term.
    To me, it just means that you can't have the word "Pfaltzgraff" in your display URL, or use their URL as your display URL.

You also may not link directly to Pfaltzgraff's site from PPC. eBay did this also, almost a year ago.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    There is now a Pfaltzgraff "Pending Offer" that lowers cookie duration from 45 to 7 days.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

To me it looks like they forbid sponsored ad traffic altogether. The only SE ads they want to see are their own. So why don't they just say that?

I figure it's because they want the traffic from unsuspecting affs, and as soon as it produces a transaction or two for which they owe a commission, they can then void on the grounds that the aff didn't follow guidelines. Seriously, there's no need to couch it in mumbo jumbo. Let me have a go:

Sponsored Ads

We don't allow sponsored ads for our trademarked products or services on any Search Engines.

Sponsored Ads Leading To Your Site

If you use sponsored ads which lead to your site, please don't use our trademarked product or service names in the ad itself or in the display URL, and please don't keyword bid on our trademarked product or service names.

Our Trademarked Product And Service Names Are As Follows:

Blah, blahblah, blahblahblah, etc.

What We Would Really Like You To Do For Us

If you have a site which sells our particular kind of product, we'd love for you to advertise us on your site - but without using the following words: Blahblah.com, blablabla, etc. And without doing this, and without doing that.
    See? That wasn't so hard. But was it clear? See any problems with it? Would I make a crappy AM? Would you love to do business with me?

Oh, just wonderful. I ran my reports for January. Of the $5,200 in sales I generated for them, $600 was after 7 days, but less than 30 days. So basically, for all my hard work on behalf of Pfaltzgraff, they're cutting my pay.

Add this to the fact that I received an email from Stephanie Fields, Advertiser Account Representative, in November with the subject line "Negotiations for Higher Commission Rate." I bent over backwards to do what I could to improve sales, and even though I have written to Ms. Fields twice, she has never responded to my response to her email.

I am not a happy affiliate right now.

YIKES - blatant theft.

Weird...Pfaltzgraff is showing up in my 'pending offers' even though I don't remember applying...

Noticed they have a coupon valid for (Promotional Dates 19-Nov-2008 - 26-Nov-2008)?

Better than the merchants still showing coupons which expired in 2006 or before, I guess.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread