Affiliate Requests Addition of 'Yahoo Conversion Tracking' Code
    Hello everyone.

Recently we had an affiliate request for us to add some Yahoo Conversion Tracking code to our landing page and subsequent 'goal' pages. I understand the need for trackability, but how can a merchant (i.e. us) be expected to add code for each affiliate that requests it?

Does anyone else get requests like this one (to add Google or Yahoo conversion tracking code for affiliates)? And if so, how do you accommodate the same request from multiple affiliates?

Thanks for your feedback,
    JSR

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    You can likely get more info in the affiliate manager's forum.

If you're in-house, then it's your cookie that's being read to flag the sale on your confirmation page, so add an IF statement that injects the affiliate's Y conversion tracking snippet into that same page if the sale belongs to her. If you want to attract power PPC affiliates, consider programming such a system into the affiliate interface, telling affs to paste their conversion code (that will be conditionally loaded for their sales only) into the interface. This way, you can accomodate not only Y, but other engines with tracking. You'll be helping them optimize their spend, which results in you getting more results from them.

If you're not in-house, but are in a custom-friendly network, you can work with them to pass some data pairs on the affiliate click through (ShareASale calls it SSAID, for example) so the referring affiliate data can be recorded in your cookie (it'll also be recorded into the network's cookie). Make sure your logic works the same as the networks (handling last-in, multi platforms, max return days, etc) and you can still do a conditional IF to load the respective "selling" affiliate's conversion snippets so they can have automated keyword level tracking that doesn't interfere with other measurements you may do for non-aff related stuff.

I'd suggest not offering this to all of your affiliates - it'll confuse non-PPC affs as well as be of zero value to non-PPC'ers. Save it for your PPC folks and use it as a recruiting tool in this area as well.

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    You can likely get more info in the affiliate manager's forum.
    I'll check that forum, too.

If you're in-house, then it's your cookie that's being read to flag the sale on your confirmation page, so add an IF statement that injects the affiliate's Y conversion tracking snippet into that same page if the sale belongs to her.
    So, the IF statement would check whether the affiliate has a tracking code associated with her profile, and insert it dynamically?

If you want to attract power PPC affiliates, consider programming such a system into the affiliate interface, telling affs to paste their conversion code (that will be conditionally loaded for their sales only) into the interface. This way, you can accomodate not only Y, but other engines with tracking. You'll be helping them optimize their spend, which results in you getting more results from them.
    This does seem like the only way to go. Putting it in the hands of the affiliates themselves.

If you're not in-house, but are in a custom-friendly network, you can work with them to pass some data pairs on the affiliate click through (ShareASale calls it SSAID, for example) so the referring affiliate data can be recorded in your cookie (it'll also be recorded into the network's cookie). Make sure your logic works the same as the networks (handling last-in, multi platforms, max return days, etc) and you can still do a conditional IF to load the respective "selling" affiliate's conversion snippets so they can have automated keyword level tracking that doesn't interfere with other measurements you may do for non-aff related stuff.
    Since I am in-house, I guess that doesn't apply to me, but that's a very creative workaround. Sounds like a bit of a hassle, though, huh?

I'd suggest not offering this to all of your affiliates - it'll confuse non-PPC affs as well as be of zero value to non-PPC'ers. Save it for your PPC folks and use it as a recruiting tool in this area as well.
    Do you mean don't offer this feature to all affiliates, even for an in-house program? How can you really tell who to offer it to? Not everyone's always straight up about their methods (i.e.: PPC vs. non-PPC)

Have fun!
    Thanks a ton for the feedback - and for the quick reply.

Best Regards,
    jsr

First let me say welcome and I will tell you that we do offer to place tracking codes on conversions pages for them.

It helps them to best analyze their data and promote our merchants the best they can.

Now this is not something we give every affiliate put rather those who ask for it and those who we see may need it.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jsr
    So, the IF statement would check whether the affiliate has a tracking code associated with her profile, and insert it dynamically?
    Right. On the confirmation page, if your in-house cookie says this is the affiliate getting credit for the sale, you dynamically inject that aff's tracking code.

Since I am in-house, I guess that doesn't apply to me, but that's a very creative workaround. Sounds like a bit of a hassle, though, huh?
    Not really a hassle, but a necessity. Any network cookie can only be read and edited by that domain, so to use the information (of which aff is getting the credit), you need to write it into your domain's cookie so it can be used for things, like a dynamic insertion of the aff's conversion snippet. Thankfully, some networks make doing this as easy as flipping a switch so that the info you need is embedded in hand off urls so you can easily write code that write that data into your domain's cookie (mirroring the info in the network cookie).

Do you mean don't offer this feature to all affiliates, even for an in-house program? How can you really tell who to offer it to? Not everyone's always straight up about their methods (i.e.: PPC vs. non-PPC)
    Most affs have no clue what this feature would be for, so to avoid questions and service issues, I'd make it something you provide to those who ask for it. You can list it on ytour recruiting page and PPC affs will take note and most others will pass right over it... "PPC Affiliates can request Conversion code placement". If they're not using PPC, it's not needed. Plus, allowing everyone to inject code into your confirmation page is a bad idea - it's a security issue - you've got to review anyone's snippet before you allow it - so that's another reason why you shouldn't make it available everywhere. I'd say more on this, but it'll just give thieves ideas - think about the security issue more, you'll understand it if you think it through and inspect the data that loads there.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread