Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Microsoft offers to Buy Yahoo!
    Microsoft offers to Buy Yahoo for $31/share.

Should be interesting for us customers of both....

Report:
    http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080201/microsoft_yahoo.html

The Y! shares closed at $19.18 yesterday.....

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    MicroSoft offers $31 - Yahoo
    Cnn reported it's a likely deal.

Speculation about a Yahoo buyout has swirled since last year, when Microsoft'sinterest in such a deal was reported. Buying Yahoo would theoretically place Microsoft as significant competitor in the Internet search market, where it has so far lagged behind both Yahoo and Google Inc.
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

Wow. This will result in only 2 big players in the search engine market. Not too happy about this as I prefer more baskets to have my eggs in

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar

$44.6 billion in cash and stock. Microsoft said it had offered to buy Yahoo for $31 per share, which it said represented a 62 percent premium above the company's closing stock price on Nasdaq on Thursday.

"We have great respect for Yahoo, and together we can offer an increasingly exciting set of solutions for consumers, publishers and advertisers while becoming better positioned to compete in the online services market," Microsoft Chief Executive Steve Ballmer said in a statement.

Yahoo was not immediately available for comment.

Microsoft said it had identified four areas that would generate at least $1 billion in annual synergies for the combined entity.

Yahoo shares rose 56 percent to $29.95 in premarket trading on Friday following the announcement. U.S. stock index futures also jumped after the news was released.
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

If this does indeed happen, PLEASE do away with the terrible interface that plagues MS adcenter. It is terribly slow and is far behind the current alternatives.

In the year when CompUSA goes out of business, it was obvious that some other things in the industry were going to change also. This is the first of the big stories and it will not be the last. I would say to keep an eye on eBay also.

-sfcom

I disagree about eBay. Unless you're referring to eBay buying something else to limit competition. I don't see ebay selling anything, I just see them buying, buying, buying! Hey, if I had the money, I'd buy Yahoo! too. I'm a little short right now though. - It's not impossible though. If you could get a GaZillion people to put $10 in, then we could offer to buy Yahoo for more than MS. Some of you super affiliates email your list, see what you can come up with, I've got my Ten dollars!

http and a telephoto
    A couple of days ago someone told me that yahoo announced they were going to start serving google search results, I never checked on that but it apparently got MS's attention!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

http and a telephoto
    Additionally, they get Flickr and Geocities, does MSN even have a web community or a photo sharing community? If they do, it apparently isn't very popular...
    Deborah Carney

Well it will be interesting to see how this shakes out after a few years. Maybe there will actually be a viable alternative to Google for organic and paid traffic. But I doubt it.

My pessimism only sees trouble for a lot of areas, notably the open source community. Yahoo does a lot of work with projects such as BSD, linux, mySQL, and PHP. They contribute a lot of code & dedicated developers to these projects and I really can't see Microsoft continuing this. So there goes a lot of funding for improving some of the most important projects in the free software world.

This will also give more exposure to Silverlight, which is MS's trojan horse into the web development world. Before I didn't give them too much of a chance to succeed with it, due to their bad history with the web dev community, but it appears now that nothing can stop the 800lb Gorilla from Redmond. Watch out Adobe, you're about to get Novelled.

My head is spinning from all of the possibilities of this unholy : ) marriage. But at the end of the day, 80% of my natural traffic and 100% of my paid traffic comes from Google. So if this helps Google to improve via competition, great! But I can't see MS, even with Yahoo's assets break Google's lock in search. It's going to take another disruptive technology to do that, and generally speaking, disruption doesn't come from behemoth companies.

CPA Network Rep Dina - MarketLeverage Blogger's Avatar
    If I were Yahoo...
    Sold!

That would be a smart financial move for Microsoft to buy Yahoo while their stock prices are down. Buy low, sell high!

If Microsoft could bring Yahoo up to Google's stock price...

http and a telephoto
    Merged the two threads on the subject
    Deborah Carney

There's more to Yahoo than just search, and more to the situation than just how it will affect search & Google. I do not see this as a positive thing, from any point of view.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

If this happens, I am sure everything will change ...

Quote Originally Posted by affiliate_
    If this happens, I am sure everything will change ...
    I'm not too sure much would change. It's been said at ABW before that it just means that 2 companies that don;t know what they're doing in the space merge to compete with one that "invented" the space.

Might make things worse actually. Google can then focus on pummeling one competitor instead of 2.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    I'm not too sure much would change. It's been said at ABW before that it just means that 2 companies that don;t know what they're doing
    I still believe it. The prospect of an acquisition by MS really means little if anything for the paid search marketplace. At present, each offers an archaic user panel, each provides a minimal amount of traffic (most of which is low quality) and neither comes near the quality of partners that Google has.

Saying it with minimal optimism on my part, perhaps in the future that will change. I honestly root for that, but don't see a whole lot of hope that it will be a reality. I also doubt that Forest Gump would be a good choice to head up the M.I.T. physics department.

On the near term front...

It "could" be that the "perception" of this by potential partners and the search public may create a bit of buzz that results in gaining a little market share back for a short time. It's kind of like the "hey, there's a new restaurant in town, we gotta try it" syndrome.

The initial excitement brings new diners. But once you try the new entree and find that it is just a bigger terd served on shiny china, you conclude that the fancy looking plate aside, it is still a terd.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

This makes me happy as Google stock is bound to be worth more. Two lousy companies combining to make a bigger lousy company is good for my best of bread stock.

I was really thinking it was gonna be Verizon that bought Yahoo though.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by nyfalcon
    This makes me happy as Google stock is bound to be worth more. Two lousy companies combining to make a bigger lousy company is good for my best of bread stock.

I was really thinking it was gonna be Verizon that bought Yahoo though.
    That aside, it's a great time to be buying Google on several fronts, straight buys, options, shorts etc. They've been smacked on earnings reports and the recent concern about the economy, but that will be short lived. In the meantime it's a cheap buy right now. :-)
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

I agree 1000% Alan, I started buying again about 2 weeks ago. The value is way too cheap. We will have to revisit this thread in about 2 years.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

So we put this one in a time capsule and dig it up in two years. In the meantime get ready for it to start rising, adjusting, reducing, rising again several dollars on given days beginning a week or two from now. Just a feeble old mind at work!! LOL

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    The one thing I think good to get ready for with msn/yahoo is if they will finally make yahoo and the yahoo shopping cart better for merchants. I talk/help lots of merchants with the yahoo store and their yahoo cart with still many outdated issues, like datafeeds. But could get good and could get ugly.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    This proposal makes me think of when HP bought Compaq. It didn't really help HP against Dell. Will buying Yahoo help Microsoft against Google?

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    Will buying Yahoo help Microsoft against Google?
    It certainly can't hurt them in terms of search engine competition.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by sfcom
    If this does indeed happen, PLEASE do away with the terrible interface that plagues MS adcenter. It is terribly slow and is far behind the current alternatives.
    -sfcom
    I agree. But I hope they will keep MS adcenter's minimum 5c bid as supposed to yahoo's 10c.

There is a long way to go for them to become a real competitor with G.

The cost-cutting synergies between Y! and MS are obvious (staff + infrastructure). They should be able to seriously lower their cost of business forcing Google to work a little harder for us.

Arguably, this merger also means they can only gain market share. People are not likely to stop using MS or Y! because of this merger, on the contrary and some might start to use them, since we would have a serious number 2 contender in the search space.

For Adcenter or Panama customers, this would be great: 50% less work. Just create 1 campaign and it would run on both networks. I would definitely use them even more...

With lower costs of operations and increased revenue, MS would be able to more aggressively pursue taking market share away from Google or squeeze its profit margin (in a "starvation situation" MS would win, thanks to its monopoly in the software sector).

If well executed, this deal has the potential to completely change the landscape of search (+ major portals) within the next 5 years. MS was forced to "lay low" since the mid-90s when the anti-monopoly attacks were widespread and threats of a break-up were discussed. It is the same company today, still running 95% of the worlds desktop PCs. Speculatively speaking, MS has the potential to annihilate Google. In 10 years, we could all be remembering Google the same way we remember Netscape and now Yahoo. After all, Yahoo was the "Google" of the 90s...

"Speculatively speaking, MS has the potential to annihilate Google."

If they had that power, they would have done it by now. Don't overestimate Microsoft. They buy things, they rarely invent things - and that is what is going to keep Google going for a long, long time.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast