Selling big, heavy furniture - some insight?
    Any insight on the profile of a customer who would buy furniture online, especially really big practical furniture, like a pantry cabinet? Are big-size furniture purchases tend to be made by a higher-income segment?

The whole issue of purchasing furniture online and not being to see and inspect it first-hand would be a real deterrent in my mind. Any thoughts?

Then there is the whole pricey shipping problem that also loses customers...

Thanks, -Sweet Iowa
    Last edited by sweetiowa; February 1st, 2008 at 11:39 PM. Reason: additional comment

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetiowa
    Any insight on the profile of a customer who would buy furniture online, especially really big practical furniture, like a pantry cabinet? Are big-size furniture purchases tend to be made by a higher-income segment?

The whole issue of purchasing furniture online and not being to see and inspect it first-hand would be a real deterrent in my mind. Any thoughts?

Then there is the whole pricey shipping problem that also loses customers...

Thanks, -Sweet Iowa
    If you look at the EPC of the furniture merchants who have programs visible here at ABW, you can see that yes, people do buy furniture online. Who they are and what the demographic is, I wouldn't know but I'd suppose it makes a difference whether it's a $50-200 item, $5-600 or $1-3K+ piece or set of some kind.

Where shipping is concerned, some offer "free shipping" (like One Way Furniture - ARC managed) which must be factored into their pricing when figuring margins, and others tell you up front what the shipping for a given item or furniture suite is and give you the total (like Everything Furniture - jrami managed). So with either, there's no guesswork and there are no surprises. Still, others must get sales also or they wouldn't be able to stay in business. And when you think about it, people even need to have furniture delivered by truck from local stores - so it's the total cost that counts.

BTW, a pantry cabinet isn't too "big" an item comparatively, they only cost a few hundred and would be nowhere near the weight of something like a bedroom set.

People do buy furniture online. I make a living selling custom made furniture items and have sold to a complete cross section of the public from celebrities to Joe Yourneighbor. People who are ordering furniture understand clearly that there are shipping costs, but if they would like the convenience of online ordering and home delivery they are willing to pay. I feature several furniture programs on different sites and have had sales, but for those sales I don't know what is being sold nor to whom.

I am one of those people. I dont own a truck or know anyone that does. Getting furniture shipped is the best thing since Billy discovered chocolate.

I was in a store (staples) and saw this awesome coffee table that pops up and is great for the laptop when I want to use it in the living room. I tried to move it in the store and said to myself the only way I would buy this is if they shipped it.

Went home -found a coupon- ordered and in a day or so it was in my living room. Didn't hurt my back at all since I didnt carry the dang thing.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    Question to those who ship furniture, what carriers do you use now?

We are getting some high rates shipping large items and looking to get better rates.
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

I use USPS exclusively. They deliver everywhere, cost about 1/4 to 2/3 less and deliver in 3-4 days. You have to meet their dimensional limits though or go to freight. Oh, and they deliver on Saturdays when folks might be home. Very large items that cannot be shipped in 'sections' would need to go by truck freight.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread