Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    popshops and frontpage
    I was so impressed with popshops, I just signed up for the enterprise package.

I use frontpage and it is easy to pop the javascript in and update that way.

But I would now like to make .php pages and have everything update automatically. The trouble is that I have been using frontpage and it does not seem to be php friendly because php competes with asp.

Can anyone suggest what I should change to? Do you think that this is the best way to treat an established site that ranks well in the search engines?

Please excuse my loopiness, my head is spinning.

there should be a .asp option in the code choices . . . would that work for you?

ABW Ambassador
    I don't think so. After a lot of research today, I think the best option is to use the popshop javascript option and keep the .htm pages intact.

I went through a similar situation because I had many existing .HTML pages that I wanted to add PHP Popshops too. Thanks to great info here from others about modifying the .htaccess file on my web hosting server, I was able to add them and NOT have to rename all my pages.

Maybe this would work for you too. You add one of the following-

AddHandler application/x-httpd-php .php .html .htm

or

AddType application/x-httpd-php .htm .html

ABW Ambassador
    Hi Joyaz,

The problem seems to be with Frontpage. I made the modifications recommended on the Microsoft website, but I couldn't get it to work.

I think it's time to give up Frontpage and move on to a php-friendly environment.

ABW Ambassador
    I am making progress.

1. After scouring the earthlink website, I figured out what statement to add to the htaccess file, so my php pages would work.

2. After step 1, realized that yes I can use frontpage to create pages and just save them with .php, and they work! No need for all the excruciating steps outlined at the Microsoft website.

Next, I will begin learning how to redirect from my old html pages to php pages.
    Thank you so much to everyone who has posted and emailed encouragement and helpful hints.

ABW Ambassador
    I now have a .php page on my otherwise .html site. It appears to be fine. Now I can see the difference between using .php and javascript. It is well worth the effort to learn how on your site.

Now if I only could figure out this

"...You can also configure your server to run the PHP interpreter on your .htm and .html files. To do this, you will need to create or modify an .htaccess file to add the following entry:

AddHandler application/x-httpd-php .htm .html"

I made this addition. And the only thing that happened was that the php code appeared on the page.

Any ideas?

Aunt Lily
    What are you trying to do? Have you created new pages that you want to redirect to? Can you give me an example of what you want to happen? I can quiz Dan tomorrow about it and maybe we can sort it out painlessly.

Jessie

ABW Ambassador
    Hi Jessie,

I trying to add php code to an existing .html page, so that I can avoid the whole redirect issue. I thought that was what this phrase (AddHandler application/x-httpd-php .htm .html") when added to the .htaccess file was for.

Thanks for checking with Dan.

Lily

Instead of AddHandler.... did you try using the "AddType...." line instead in the .htaccess file? Some servers require that one instead. It's worth a try.

On some hosts that line
    Code:
    will shut down your site. I tried that on one site when all else had failed and then tried to view the site. It had turned my site into an application and the browser asked if I would like to download it or open it.

Some hosts are poorly configured and you may need to ask them directly how they recommend to set it up. I learned these things the hard way and ended up needing to move my site. I was at my wits end trying to make it work when my other sites worked just fine. Only difference was the host.
    Last edited by 2busy; February 11th, 2008 at 11:32 AM. Reason: clarify

I understand now. You want to convert your html pages to php using one of the htaccess snippets. I strongly recommend that you contact your host as 2busy suggested and ask them the best way to handle this.

Jessie

"AddType" won't shut down every site and until you test, you won't know. It works for mine. It can be tested very quickly and changed BACK just as quickly if it doesn't work.

ABW Ambassador
    I tried adding "AddType application/x-httpd-php .htm .html" to .htaccess and it didn't work, I still just see the php code.

Earthlink is my webhost. I will call India and speak to the nice Indian help desk (which is never very helpful) and see if they can suggest something.

I do think popshops.com should modify its documentation. It's very misleading to provide one statement and lead us to believe that should handle the problem, when apparently it's very host specific.

Thanks for the ideas though.

ABW Ambassador
    Earthlink webhost support just told me that they have nothing to do with .htaccess files and/or scripting issues, and that I'm on my own.

So I am back to deciding how best to use popshops on this site.

oh my.

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Lily
    Earthlink webhost support just told me that they have nothing to do with .htaccess files and/or scripting issues, and that I'm on my own......
    Wow, that is just terrible. Sounds like time for a new host to me. You cannot grow in this business without having all of the tools you need.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

ABW Ambassador
    The worst part about dealing with Earthlink webhost is that I'm not even sure they understood me. Their (American) English is so horrible. They really can't communicate clearly on complicated issues.

When I asked to speak to an American speaker so I could have a better conversation, he refused. Saying I had an accent as well. I said yes, but I'm the paying client and this is unacceptable. He didn't seem to grasp that concept as well.

It's the only website I have with them now. It's over 10 years old and does really well in the search engines so I really don't want to tinker with it.
    Last edited by Aunt Lily; February 12th, 2008 at 09:49 PM. Reason: bad spelling

Aunt Lily,
    What documentation on our site are you referring to? If it is the faq "SEO for affiliates" I have added the following statement to the paragraph regarding the addhandler to our faq:

All hosts, systems, etc are different and this approach may not work for your particular system.

I also changed a lot of references to "this may help"...

I know how frustrating this can be but there just millions and jillions of different configurations. Sorry I can't be more helpful, I really do believe a great host can be a lifesaver. And sometimes a college intern can help as well.

Jessie

ABW Ambassador
    Jessie I think those warnings are a good start. If I had known it was going to get this complicated I might have taken a different direction. I did get the impression from reading your instructions that I just had to find my htaccess file and all would be good.

We all don't have access to college interns, and if I did, I know from experience finding the right one can be just as frustrating as finding the right host. And that often you get what you pay for.

But I am excited about new sites and will figure out what to do with my older one.

ABW Ambassador
    Aunt Lily - Don't give up, I am trying to figure out the right code you need. I have a client with an Earthlink hosting account so I am trying to figure it out. So far I have had no luck with the htaccess snipplet codes I use on my other clients and my own website. (Non Earthlink sites.)

Hopefully, I will find the right one and let you know.

ABW Ambassador
    msladybug, thank you for your encouragement, You are so sweet!

You sound like you're a "professional" so it makes me feel better that you are having a time figuring it out. Have you talked to earthlink support? They said they were going to email some "hacks" but the email hasn't arrived.

ABW Ambassador
    Sorry Aunt Lily but I have had no luck with it.

I really don't know a lot about php, I just recently started using it. Thank goodness it wasn't on this Earthlink account or I might not have tried.

Earthlinks support is worthless. If my clients site wasn't so large (magazine site) I would have moved it already and probably will sometime this year. It's bad when you dread having to call their support.

Wish I could have figured it out, good luck.

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for trying msladybug. I am bleary eyed after reading everything I can find on htaccess files and php. I have decided just to use the html option for now from popshops. Its much faster than the way I was making pages and will keep things simple on this site.

Will be much more adventurous on my other sites.

Wink
    Move your site to HostGator and add the following to your . htaccess file there and Pop Shops php will work.

Code:
    AddHandler application/x-httpd-php .htm
    AddHandler application/x-httpd-php .html
    I joined Pop Shops yesterday and their php works fine at HG.

I have the baby plan at HG http://www.hostgator.com/shared.shtml

I also use FP 2003 and use it to work with php all the time. It is not FP that is your problem. It's your host.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

ABW Ambassador
    Hi Burger Boy,

Yes I finally figured out that the host is the issue. I'm just concerned moving my site will screw things up in the search engines. As I've said all my other sites are hosted elsewhere and things are good with those.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast