Please Help Me With My Adwords Budget
    Hi ... I have asked several times about this but I keep getting the wrong answers.. and thats why I am wrighting a new question instead of keeping those threads going because I did not ask the question properly before...
    I hardly have any money right now to be spending on my daily budget on google adwords... I spend about 12 cents to 60 cents (rarely 60 cents) on my keywords and if anyone has any suggestions on how much I should spend for a daily budget to expect a profit in return please help .. and I know that it can very but I just need a bit of an idea on it from somone who knows what they are talking about..
    oh and please don't tell me anything about SEO because this is for an affiliate program and not my own website .. thank you.

This is essentially the same question you have asked numerous times. I am not going to tell you what to do but if you hardly have any money to spend on Adwords is that really a risk you want to take?

No one is going to be able to tell you "how much to spend to make a profit," we don't know what your promoting, your keywords etc. There is not a magical number where if you hit it suddenly the profits begin rolling in.

People are very knowledgeable and helpful here but not usually after you post the same thing 3 or 4 times.

Blowupdollie, AffiliateFriendly is right. There are so many variables to consider that your question is impossible to answer without more information. A lot more information.

Here are two threads to start with. They both feature Donuts, ABW's resident PPC wizard and offer a lot of information to help guide you. I have them both bookmarked and refer to them regularly.

Best Book on PPC?

Tips for getting started on DTM PPC?

I hope these help. Good luck, but keep in mind that PPC is risky business.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

find good keywords, somehow get on the 1st page maybe 2nd after that PPC and SEO is pretty worthless, give it a few days, and see if you can make a profit, If not get out and try something else.

I've seen all your threads - I think you need to realize that spending on Adwords does not guarantee any profit (you keep asking how much to spend to expect a profit).

It's like any form of advertising - it simply promotes something (in this case a website), no promise of revenue. There are stats to be found on PPC, for sure, but you have to know what you're doing (I'm not suggesting you don't, but as a newbie, you have lots to learn).

Some people spend zero on AdWords & make a profit - others can spend thousands yet earn very little.

Personally, I think Google takes our money a little too easily, which is unfortunate. If you don't have the budget for it, perhaps you should think of spending elsewhere.

You have been receiving lots of good advice, but there is still no rule that says if you spend on Adwords, you can expect revenue.

Blowupdollie, I'm not sure if this will help, but there is a tool that I found called "Max Bid Analysis" (do a search in Google) that will let you plug in some numbers to see what your lowest bid should be for keywords. You put in all your information, the commission you will receive, the average order size, and your conversion rate, and it will tell you what your lowest bid should be.

The most important thing to learn with any PPC is tracking your data. This will help you tremendously with figuring out what is working, and what is not. How much you should spend, and how much you shouldn't. If you have a really popular keyword that is costly and isn't converting well, lower the bid. Raise the bids on the more targeted keywords that do convert for you.

Rematt --

Thanks for those links -- very handy info indeed.

Affiliate Manager Julia_Shoeboxed's Avatar
    So that is a very open question. Since I don't know what industry you're advertising in, or the countless other factors affecting you, I hope my advice helps.

Here are some quick tips, I could think of off the top of my head:
    1. the more relevant and focused the keyword is, the higher the conversion rate
    2. keep your quality score higher by using landing pages that use those keywords
    3. make dynamic landing pages that, if possible, display those exact keywords for the user, to reassure them that they've found the right page
    4. make sure your ads are optimized, try running them 2 or 3 times

No Longer Banned!
    The Ad Game....
    Hi !

I'm the stupid idiot that got hosed by the traffic getter sites for years and so I am by far no expert here.

Just the same I have learned 6 things here from Donuts, Haiko, Steve, Alan Hamilton, Chris Pepper Jam, OTProf and the ABW classes I attended 2 weeks ago are as follows:

1} Never ever use the people that promise traffic. It is bullshit and you don't know where it is coming from.

2} use like Yahoo ! or MSN cuz there is less competition.

3} .12 per click is often used for key words, though market saturation key word popularity/ other factors may cause you to raise/ lower that amount.

4} once you place a PPC ad, you'll know in like one day if it made money or not. {Though you may wish to give it a few days, NEVER wait for years paying on something like I did ~ Huge blank filled in for me...}

5} while your ad budget/ Conversion Ratio will vary widely depending on various factors, as a rule of thumb your ads should cost roughly 25% of your income ~ OR ~ for for every dollar you spend you should get back either four or five dollars in return {this varies based on who you ask}. Of course, if you earn four dollars, you keep 3 and google or Yahoo ! {Whoever you decide to use} gets one dollar cuz you gotta pay to advertise again, Right ?

6} Off line advertising can be very effective and very very cheap with a 2% to 9% turn around {Similar to conversion, different name} depending on what you sell and other factors. you can reach 10,000 people for roughly 300 USD or +/- .03 per person using 8.5"x5.5" ads.

I hope this helps.

Steve
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    (Post with links.)

-rematt
    LOL, awesome! Not to go off topic, but I had hoped I started that 2nd thread in a way it would help others. I like feel honored it has been bookmarked, though the credit should go to donuts and the others who gave the information.
    oh and please don't tell me anything about SEO because this is for an affiliate program and not my own website
    Blowupdollie, how much exactly do you have to spend? If you have the time, making a website to work with your affiliate programs may be better. If you are able to take advantage of free forms of getting traffic, your operating costs will remain constant (hosting and domain name).

With PPC the costs can vary, and if I remember from your other threads, you don't have much you can spend daily? If that is the case, you basically need to find yourself keywords that will cost you no more than 10 cents. That way you get more clicks for your daily budget and you have a better chance of getting a sale.

I know, not the best advice.. but I wouldn't call myself an expert either.

Hi Steve,

#1 Yes - stay verrrrry skeptical of traffic sellers and avoid them until you are very

#2 Yes - truth is that there is always somewhat of a 'random walk' between what you might see in terms of results/profitability from one SE to the next (even w/ ceteris paribus - all else being equal), but my experience has shown that Y & M have some attractive aspects and very good conversions

For #3, I'm skeptical re. tagging some ideal bid price as even a general principle as so many factors are in play (including your own budget and risk aversion level).

#4 is a maybe. If your #3 bid was too low it may take weeks before you have had enough exposure to analyze your ad's effectiveness & such. Yes -- never wait for years!

#5 I'd count these hoped-for returns as quite high. They are certainly doable, but not normative.

#6 haven't tried offline yet... maybe I'll make a late night infomercial while wearing a suit coat w/question marks on it...

In all, the links that rematt posted above contain a motherlode of good info.

all of you have been very helpful thanks so much
    but just one more problem i have to know about is... what do i do if what im selling dosnt really have any cheap keywords?
    oh and i have tried using msn adcenter but its so hard to get any good hits

The only answer I would have to that question is to change what you're selling.. if you can't afford to pay for expensive keywords, or can't improve your quality score (thereby reducing the cost), you should consider a change in your overall strategy.

It's not a good business decision to spend what you can't afford...

I've seen a lot of people try to help you here - there is no easy answer, and it comes down to what you can afford. If you can't afford online advertising, look for alternatives.

If you google "how to promote your site", you will see thousands of articles...

Quote Originally Posted by Blowupdollie
    what do i do if what im selling dosnt really have any cheap keywords?
    You may not be thinking outside of the box. Try using more long tail keywords or ones that are related but not so obvious. For example, if you have a site about shoes, the words "shoes" and "cute shoes" are probably very expensive. You would probably do better to bid on something hyper-specific like "Los Angeles shoes online" (depending on where you are located) or "blue high heel wedge shoe." These will attract a customer that is more likely to purchase since you have given them exactly what they are searching for. If your site has only dress shoes, and you bid on just
    "shoes," not only will it be more expensive for such a generic term but you also might be attracting customers who are looking for gym shoes or even shoes for a car!

Quote Originally Posted by Blowupdollie
    all of you have been very helpful thanks so much
    but just one more problem i have to know about is... what do i do if what im selling dosnt really have any cheap keywords?
    oh and i have tried using msn adcenter but its so hard to get any good hits
    Blowupdollie please correct me if I'm wrong, but is the product you are trying to promote an e-book? Is this the same e-book that gave you instructions on how to start a Google campaign without a website to start earning money immediately? If this is the case, you've probably realized by now that it just doesn't work for most people.

Whether you fit the above scenario or not it may be time to consider other alternatives. Create a website or blog centered around a topic that you are knowledgeable about or interested in. Find real products (not e-books) that fit the theme of your site that you can monetize your site with. Read all you can here about SEO and PPC techniques. Use the search engines to find additional information.

If you are considering what I've suggested, here are a couple of thoughts to keep in mind.

- PPC is the fastest way to drive traffic, but PPC can be expensive as you've already learned. There are probably hundreds of e-books available that will tell you how to beat the system. They are mostly wrong. Not to say that all e-books are bunk, but it's hard to weed out the good from the bad. There are hundreds of free sources for information like SEO Fast Start. There are many others, take a look through the tools section on ABW for more. There are also several excellent threads here on PPC by Donuts, Rollerblader (the Affiliate Formerly Known as Liquidate) and others. Find, 'em read 'em, bookmark 'em and reference them often.

-Organic search is a combination of art, science and sometimes dumb luck. Organic search takes time. It's very unlikely that you will get high rankings for most terms immediately. I say unlikely because it is possible. I've managed to get top 10 rankings on some very popular keywords within days of building the pages. I chalk this up to mostly luck. I've tried to duplicate the process on other pages and I've lost position. I'm still learning too.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that there is no easy way, and there is very seldom a quick route to success. If you are looking to affiliate marketing to generate a long term income for you than it's worth it to take the time to do it right. If you need an immediate income, this is probably not the right route to take.

Stop spending your money on Google until you have a better feel for what you're doing. Get a hosting account, start reading everything you can get your hands on and start creating your site. Once you've taken these steps you can start applying the different techniques you've learned. You'll be amazed at how quickly the ideas start flowing.

Whatever you do, good luck and please keep us up to date.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Nice post, rematt
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread