ABW Ambassador
    Thumbs up Web 2.0 Traffic
    Was doing some work on a site tonight on a site that is mainly content, but I mix in affiliate marketing and do pretty well. How important was getting mentioned on social sites? These are my top 30 stats for the past several months (removed is internal network linking, house ads, banner exchanges, link exchanges, refer spam etc).

google.com 905581
    stumbleupon.com 591058
    search.yahoo.com 134414
    google.co.uk 90501
    google.ca 79590
    google.com.au 48823
    youtube.com 36599
    reddit.com 25549
    google.de 18576
    boingboing.net 17007
    metafilter.com 15858
    google.se 7752
    fark.com 7487
    google.it 7185
    google.pl 6622
    google.co.in 6588
    google.es 6142
    digg.com 6128
    google.fi 6047
    mail.google.com 5437
    forums.fark.com 5334
    google.com.br 5175
    search.live.com 4800
    google.ie 4702
    google.com.mx 4372
    google.co.nz 4254
    google.be 4034
    google.dk 3856
    reader.livedoor.com 3804
    en.wikipedia.org 3723

The number that sticks out is stumbleupon. 5x the traffic than yahoo. Live doesn't even appear in my top 20. It ranks below google mail!

Cleary, and no surprise, winning google first was important. But look at stumbleupon! And while boingboing only has 17,000 - it generated interest and propelled the page they linked to, to over 150,000 views vs 3-5,000 for a normal page. The average page mentioned on digg or reddit also have a bump bigger than shown here.

Looking at these stats, and seeing the trickle down that happens to hundreds of other sites when you get the mention, it is hard to ignore social/web2.0 sites when looking for traffic.

But the equally important thing here is, the site is not gaming social sites. It is not gaming google. It is setup for sensible navigation and organic keywords and natural urls. SEO is only a black art when you decide to try and ignore your visitors for the sake of the SEs.

Chet

Chet

Thanks for this information. I see some similiar stuff myself. My question is are we taking advantage of stumbleupon traffic, are those people actually buying something. My guess would be a no.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Affiliate Manager Julia_Shoeboxed's Avatar
    We get a lot of traffic from Stumbeupon but it is extremely unqualified. The volume is high, but the bounce rate is much higher than pretty much any other traffic source.

The stumbleupon crowd though has driven a moderate amount of signups for the free service on Shoeboxed, but not many at all for the premium Receipt Mail-In Service. Once again, probably because its unqualified, non-targeted traffic.

ABW Ambassador
    We have experimented with showing them just cpm, or cpa, or a mix. And for cpa it really depends on the product. In another few months we should have a better handle on guessing what cpa will work or not and if not, show them cpm or adsense. They are a big enough source that we will try and customize a response if it helps (or it can always be a waste of time and just lump them in with unqualified traffic).

Quote Originally Posted by Julia_Shoeboxed
    We get a lot of traffic from Stumbeupon but it is extremely unqualified. The volume is high, but the bounce rate is much higher than pretty much any other traffic source.
    I've actually had the exact opposite experience, but I run a blog so my goals for visitors might be a bit different. In my experience. SU users are actively looking for new sites, so they tend to spend more time on my site and see more pages than other traffic before they leave.

But again, my goals may be different than yours, so mileage may vary.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

ABW Ambassador
    I have found in general, Google visitors are looking for something. So they visit the one page, move on. Stumbleupon users are looking to kill time/explore, so they will dig deeper, most often navigate using the - people who liked this also like this - type of navigation -but they aren't always looking to purchase what is the focus of the page they are visiting.

In the shoeboxed example, I would say that is not a mainstream service and you would need to really sell it (ugh), where I have found offering mainstream items, or triggering on events/holidays works pretty well with the more general traffic.

Chet

Chet: Is your content primarily of value to techies, or are you seeing tru consumers drill in through Stumbleupon, etc?

We've not had much success through Digg or Technorati. We even tried a PPC at Facebook that seemed well targetted but didn't even produce clicks, much less sales....
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Noth, I've tried StumbleUpon advertising with some success. Might be worth a shot as an experiment.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

ABW Ambassador
    Noth, the content is general not aimed at techies. I have given up chasing sophisticated curious buyers for low commissions.

On other sites I have had more traffic from digg, but I have never found much value in digg past the extra site linkage.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread