The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    BIG Zappos Leak
    http://www.zappos.com/sale.zhtml

There are no actual sales listed on their sales page - just a banner that takes your visitors and sends them to 6pm . com

They have links to 6pm all over their site, at the bottom of EVERY page. They quietly bought them last year and immediately closed the 6pm affiliate program to everyone except a few coupon sites and the adware guys. Now they are funneling traffic to 6pm from the Zappos site.

FYI: This wasn't my discovery - a friend told me.

Is sale.zhtml just an orphaned page, or does it actually have links to it from elsewhere on zappos.com?

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Apparently 6pm is owned by

Domain Name: 6PM.COM

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
    EBAGS, INC.
    6060 Greenwood Plaza Blvd
    GREENWOOD VILLAGE, CO 80111
    US
    303 967 2210 fax: 303 694 9491

.. seems underhanded to me.

Ebags is over at CJ...

ABW Ambassador
    Zappos acquired 6pm last year. Apparently the domain registration wasn't updated.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by ghoti
    Is sale.zhtml just an orphaned page, or does it actually have links to it from elsewhere on zappos.com?
    Click on the ON SALE button at the top of Zappos home page.

I hope EVERY Zappos affiliate reads this thread.

If it were me, I would cancel the relationship - the only satisfactory explanation would be automatic acceptance into the 6pm program. But obviously this isn't the case.

Plus 6pm is scattered with ads, google & otherwise. Nice touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    Click on the ON SALE button at the top of Zappos home page.
    Yikes. That's a pretty prominent link, too.

I've contacted them, You should do the same!

Speaking of getting hosed.........
    was the email that Zappos affiliates received about NOT advertising free overnight shipping and the 110% price protection anymore applicable only to us? I thought Zappos was dropping the push too? Obviously they have not stopped pushing overnight shipping. .... ?? Maybe I mis-read the notice.

Anyone?
    Last edited by Airstrip; February 3rd, 2008 at 04:07 PM. Reason: grammer
    The best things in life are not things at all...

I just sent an email to zappos to the email link that is in cj about this 6pm issue and i got an auto responce message which seems rather strange to me.

anyone else?

Howdy,

I'll be out of the office from Wednesday, January 30th through Friday, February 15th. I'll be checking emails starting on February 14th.

In the meantime, please feel free to contact Ashley Fortman and Britni Delaney for affiliate issues, Rachel Vanada for online advertisement opportunities, and my estate attorney Fletcher Kurlander for any news regarding my winning of the American Family Publisher sweepstakes.

thanks,
    Ned Farra

Internet Cowboy
    Affiliates are taking it in the shorts now via this flagrant leak.
    This affiliate program has gone from one of the best to the absolute worst in a period of about 6 months.

Those of you who care, look back over the emails you have received from Zappos over the past 8 months. You can develop a timeline that tells it all. Add to that the fact that about 5 months ago they caved in to pressure from CJ to allow in the parasites and you see that CJ's influence on Zappos has taken effect down to them influencing policy that clearly benefits CJ's own affiliate marketing operation.

In a recent conversation with them, Zappos told me they are focusing on using their affiliate program to drive incremental traffic from here forward. They forgot to tell me that they were taking this traffic and diverting it to 6pm.com. This statement also tells me that their new crop of affiliate managers are clueless as to how adware simply monetizes their own traffic.

How many affiliates do you think have a link to their sale page on a site somewhere? What percentage of shoppers click on the "On Sale" link on a given web site, especially in this time with all the recession and economy talk.

Shame on you CJ. Shame on you Zappos. In that order!

Thank you for posting this info!! It is disappointing that a "reputable" merchant like Zappos would do such a thing. I am going to drop the program today.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    ...In a recent conversation with them, Zappos told me they are focusing on using their affiliate program to drive incremental traffic from here forward....
    It is obvious they feel they can do it with out us, gang! Should be time to let them go it alone, me thinks. Bye, bye Zappos........

ABW Ambassador
    "How many affiliates do you think have a link to their sale page on a site somewhere?"

I was one of them. Not looking good. I haven't checked the site in awhile, knew they sold handbags for awhile now. But is the other stuff something new, like the watches, electronics etc.? Wondering if they're slowing shifting into carrying other products.

Outside of my usual commentary on the value of affiliate programs to top of mind brands, I think this clearly steps over the line.

This is not Zappos first indicator of their shift away from "valuing" their affiliates. And sadly, it probably won't be the last.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    But is the other stuff something new, like the watches, electronics etc.? Wondering if they're slowing shifting into carrying other products.
    I call this affliction Amazonitis.

The cure takes a long time to arrive, the disease has to run its full course. Later, when their core business has eroded, they see it plainly. Then there's a press release that comes along with words like "refocus on our core values" and "rehired our founder and previous CEO" kinda stuff...

Then they have a party to celebrate finding their way again... and they hire a guitar player and he plays that Ricky Nelson song... Garden Party...

I went to a garden party
    To reminisce with my old friends
    A chance to share old memories
    And play our songs again
    When I got to the garden party
    They all knew my name
    No one recognized me
    I didn't look the same

But it's all right now
    I learned my lesson well
    You see, ya can't please everyone
    So ya got to please yourself

Adding BHOs while reducing comms for non-software affiliates, trusting CJ's affiliate advice (in court, CJ says it's all up to the merchant to figure out), leaks to "new" areas that screw those who helped build you (I hope that path tracks), loads of focus on products that are off topic for what their shoppers expect... I think they've dove in head first and their head's stuck in the river's mucky bottom...

It's weird... you're totally dominating your sector and you shoot yourself in the foot and simultaneously aspire to become a megamall (a sector that already has its own resident, well-endowed dominatrix)... seems king of the shoe biz is righteous enough to brag about to me. If someone needs a shpanking to feel important, we coulda had Billy send them over a loaner or something, woulda been faster and much more fun to watch.

Did you just call Amazon a dominatrix?

That's hot.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Internet Cowboy
    They have millions of loyal shoppers. They have this because they have done an EXCELLENT (possibly the best of the web era) job of removing every possible objection and over-delivering in fulfillment and customer service beyond the average customer's wildest expectations. I have ordered shoes at 11 pm CST and been wearing them the next day before noon. That is about as strong as it gets.

As long as they are able to hold this group of loyal customers in check they will be fine. BUT...as soon as a downturn in the economy or even the "R" word gets used enough, customers will flee and forget any loyalty if they can save a buck.

It's a good thing that the US economy is thriving, alive and no downturns are in sight. Otherwise they have made a very foolish decision. (you won't need a key to unlock the sarcasm there)

As for only wanting incremental sales and adding adware/spyware at the same time, (first off.... ...)that screams that they have NO IDEA what is up with these lovely "loyalty" affiliates and that the program is run by people who believe everything they are t(s)old and do no research of their own.

It'll take me months to replace all the links, but I will and I won't be back.

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, going more department store, now cosmetics - http://www.zappos.com/n/es/d/722687330/page/1.html

more clothing lines added from the email sent out.

A member of the BBB shouldnt be doing this kinda underhanded sneaky crap.
    What a lame attempt to cut out the affiliates yet still get all their traffic

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, they're going department store. Remember getting an email that they were now carrying video game consoles and more. This is how their future site is going to look like - http://zeta.zappos.com/

And I think in the other thread it says if you're an affiliate of 6PM and they click over to 6PM from Zappos, you'll get paid. Need to test that out for sure one day.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Does anyone else see the "Starbucks syndrome" here? Kinda the same as Donut's Garden Party analogy.

Losing focus is a classic symptom of core confusion. I can imagine their upper management, scratching their heads over all the conflicting information from allegedly "trusted" sources and wondering who to believe or trust. Feels like the founding father's vision is being shat upon, just like our constitution.

Very sad. I predict Zappos will be scrambling to maintain within 2 years or less.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

ABW Ambassador
    I see it as diversification and probably a good decision from a business perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    I predict Zappos will be scrambling to maintain within 2 years or less.
    I think that's what they're probably doing with this new thing... probably scrambling, because their shoes cost more than other places, and sales are probably down.
    I remember they used to have good deals.

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread