Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Not sure if this is the best timing given larger issues in the world right now but there has come up some discussion recently about perhaps having a gathering here in Chicago of those working within this goofy industry.

At this point the thought is nothing formal but more of a low-key gathering that would allow professional "affiliate" marketers to get together socially. We're thinking of perhaps an afternoon at the friendly confines of Wrigley Field for a Cubs vs Yankees game on June 6th as an idea.

I had volunteered our offices here on Michigan Ave. down town as a place to meet prior if agreed. The gathering could be an opportunity to meet like minded professionals from this region. I'm sure we'll mostly be talking shop etc. etc. There'd be no cost other then your Cubs ticket if that's what we decide to do. We're also blocks away from the lake front, the theater district, Navy Pier etc.

Just throwing out a feeler. Any interest?

This isn't just for JCW partners. Don't know if I can pull it off but there are a number of other merchants in town here I'd like to try to gather including Spiegel, Hammacher Schlemmer, Sears, Tire Rack, Crate & Barrel (are they doing affiliate marketing?), I know a few high profile publishers are in the area also.

Interest? Suggestions?

Rick

Rick McGrath
    Partner Development
    JC Whitney & Co.
    affiliatehelp@JCWhitney.com
    800-863-4227 ext. 5681

[This message was edited by Rick - JC Whitney on April 25, 2003 at 01:15 PM.]

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>. . . of those working within this goofy industry.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm up for getting goofy~!

Brian
    aka Cyclone

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room~!

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I would like it very much! It is within a few hours for me, so it would be very doable.

Time Is A Parasite's Friend

ABW Ambassador
    I'm should be able to make it, Rick. Would be delighted if TireRack could participate too.

It's about time someone figured out Chicago is the place to be.

Wow!
    This is a great start! Any others?

I've a very good relationship over at Tire Rack. I'll see if I can get them.

Cyclone, I have the sense you're serious about your fun.
    Elbowcreek, for some reason I had the notion you were in the southwest. It would be great to meet.
    Heyder, I didn't know you were local? Very cool.
    Whiznot... What-can-I-say. We've had the pleasure and any opportunity...

I'll admit I feel a little off planning such a gathering given world events but work must go on. Additionally having read many of the recent posts I wish I could chime in but am confident that any personal opinions would offend someone and some might reflect this on my employer. Anyway... This is a great start.

Anyone else? Yes, where else could you meet the likes of Cyclone, Elbowcreek, Whiznot and Heyder all at one time? Now that's worth the price of admission alone!

Rick

Rick McGrath
    Partner Development
    JC Whitney & Co.
    800-863-4227 ext. 5681

_ BUMP _

Time Is A Parasite's Friend

That is close enough for me. I am interested. Much more in the information exchange than in the Cubs unless it were the Cubs and the hapless Brewers

I could type much better if I had knuckles

Freesurf If you're going 43 I'll race you.

So far it sounds like Suzy from Tire Rack, Scott from Afftrack, Danny from Rockler Woodworking and Sally from Strategic Affiliate Solutions may be able to attend. Still trying to reach some others.

The Cubs season opener was -snowed out- yesterday! It is April isn't it?

Rick

Rick McGrath
    Partner Development
    JC Whitney & Co.
    800-863-4227 ext. 5681

This would be perfect for me if I could arrange to be on Oprah the same week ha ha! I know David Letterman had problems, but maybe she will let me on the show...

All,

Been pressed for time of late but...
    On the Merchant side I've been in contact with:

- Tire Rack
    - Rockler Woodworking
    - Northern Tool
    - Collectibles Today

Have been trying to reach:
    - Hammacher Schlemmer
    - Spiegel
    - Sears
    - Crate & Barrel

These are the folks I know are around Chi-town or midwest. Who else is in the area? I'm sure there are many more. I've been getting positive interest but still trying to establish some critical mass. If you've contacts and would be willing to send out a feeler. Or I'd be happy to if you'd PM me a contact.

On the publisher side I know and have touched base with several but assume here also there are many I don't know about.

Suggestions? Anyone that should be added to the contact list?
    Thanks,
    Rick

Rick McGrath
    Partner Development
    JC Whitney & Co.
    800-863-4227 ext. 5681

Affiliate Manager
    Hey Rick,

Will get in touch with Hammacher (our sister company) and extend the invitation...

Sounds like it's going to be quite a party... keep it rolling

Cheers!
    Mitul Gandhi

I'm still checking this out but June 6th Cubs/Yankees is listed as sold out. Tikets are likely still available difficult to come by. Quantity and proximity though would be tougher still.

Many weekends through the summer there are all kinds of festivals in Grant Park. Jazz Fest, Blues Fest, Taste of... etc. There may be something here we could plug into and it's two blocks from our offices. Navy Pier always has something going as well also just a few blocks away. Or... there's downtown. Or...

Other suggestions?
    I'll check the City of Chicago Special Events Calenday and see what's cookin'

Rick

Rick McGrath
    Partner Development
    JC Whitney & Co.
    800-863-4227 ext. 5681

I see this weekend falls on the 19th annual Gospel Music Festival held in Grant Park.

Any Gospel Music fans?
    This is a huge event. Actually I've been and it's some -great- music and food but don't know if I'd make an afternoon of it. Will keep looking.

Rick

Rick McGrath
    Partner Development
    JC Whitney & Co.
    800-863-4227 ext. 5681

ABW Ambassador
    Rick:<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Other suggestions?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The music sounds fine, any park activities sound fine ... so would a cheap bar downtown if it's a rainy day. As freesurf noted, it's the information exchange that counts.

Last fall I'd traveled out to NJ for a similar meeting of NY/NJ region affiliate marketing professionals at Shawn Collin's (Club-Mom) home for a back yard barb-BQ. No agenda, no speaker, no presentations just hangin' out talking shop with new and old acquaintances. I had a great time and thought it was time very well spent.

My opinion is that while there is value in professional gathering's seminars, presentations, agenda and such for me the greater value is simply meeting other people who do what I do, deal with the same issues, build relationships and such. Shawn's back yard gathering was perfectly fine for this. Having thought about this more over the weekend since it looks like a Cubs/Yankees game is not going to be do-able and exploring what other -events- are going on around the city at that time that we could plug into they all would have too much noise or commotion that could distract from good conversation.

How's bout simply having a picnic out on the lakefront? Lincoln Park? (parking can be a challenge) Or Evanston (parking not a problem) Or?....

Rick

Rick McGrath
    Partner Development
    JC Whitney & Co.
    800-863-4227 ext. 5681

I'm sure the easiest place to meet would be I90/94 while we wait for traffic move again.

Here is where you should meet. It's a little bit out of the city but they have banquet and conference rooms and the beer is yummy.

Click Here

There are several good hotels near by as well as some good places to eat.

Core

"So it's a profit thing..." - Steve Martin

If possible, though, I would like the date to be settled fairly quickly: the warden - errr, I mean my loving wife - is planning a family vacation to florida for some time in June, and I'd like her to work it so I can attend both!

I drank what??! -Socrates

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I'm sure the easiest place to meet would be I90/94 while we wait for traffic move again. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I used to live in the tinley park and know that road very well. I make it back to chicago 3 or 4 times a year and that road has more traffic on it at 3.00 am than pittsburgh does during peak rush hour. It is a little better though after the construction done on it in the past 10 years but it still needs about 3 or 4 more lanes on both sides. Going to the dunes on a saturady afternoon was also hell.

"The beatings will continue until morale improves"

I would love to come to an event like this... Too bad I'm all the way at the other end of I-90...

--
    "No matter how dark things seem to be or actually are, raise your sights and see the possibilities – always see them, for they're always there." – Norman Vincent Peale
    --
    Ford Fox-body Owners Club
    http://www.ford-fox.org

C'mon, FFoc, wring that car out, go on a road trip!

I drank what??! -Socrates

Certainly.
    This all started once-upon-a-time around some conversation that Shawn from Club Mom was going to be in town Saturday June 7th for a Cubs/Yankees game and it grew to perhaps some folks joining him for an afternoon at the game. Then there followed discussion about Friday the 6th and the challenges of getting sold out Cubs tickets. I'd heard at around $300 which sounds inflated even at scalper rates... Still too rich for me.

Anyway, would people rather meet...
    - Friday June 6th or Saturday June 7th?
    - The city more convenient or the burbs?

Thanks
    Rick

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by elbowcreek:
    If possible, though, I would like the date to be settled fairly quickly: the warden - errr, I mean my loving wife - is planning a family vacation to florida for some time in June, and I'd like her to work it so I can attend both!

I drank what??! -Socrates<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rick McGrath
    Partner Development
    JC Whitney & Co.
    800-863-4227 ext. 5681

What car? Didn't you read the "What do you name your car" thread?

--
    "No matter how dark things seem to be or actually are, raise your sights and see the possibilities – always see them, for they're always there." – Norman Vincent Peale
    --
    Ford Fox-body Owners Club
    http://www.ford-fox.org

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast