Creating new Styles with a specific height (like Facebook example)
    I like the style used for the example Facebook style and would like to create others like it. After clicking on the Facebook example, I hit the Add button to make a copy of it. I then start by changing the border color/size, and the result shows in the box on the right. This is where I lose the height property. Some products have excessively long descriptions, and I like how the Facebook example displays some of it ending with a "..." because of its specific height. But no matter what I change after making a copy, it loses the height property.

How can I create a custom Style like the Facebook example? Keying in a height would do it, but that isn't available in creating styles.

Darren Finger

Are you sure it's done with a style? It's probably truncated on the back end.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Can you post a link to the facebook style example? I can't find it on Popshops.com and I'd like to check that out.

Facebook Style
    joyaz:
    To look at the Facebook Style, I just open up any shop and click on the Customize tab. Then I click on the Styles button. This will list all our your styles. Popshops default, Alternating Wide, ..., Facebook, etc. This is the style I speak of.

MichaelColey:
    I am using Javascript, so truncating on the back end won't be possible for me.

Yeah, Facebook Style? Where? Not in my styles under "Customize." Is this perhaps a feature of the "Enterprise" level with Popshops? I'm at the lowly "Pro" level and can only envy those of you who must be making millions with your haughty "Enterprise" level.

*sigh*
    Generate more fake news.

"Pro" Styles
    No, I only have the "Pro" level. And I have started a second account for another web site that is just in the "Free" level and it also has the Facebook Style example. Maybe it is a recent style that has been added. I just signed up last week.

The "FaceBook" style is a new one that not everyone has (it appears in only new accounts). It was created in anticipation of a facebook app that may be coming out at some point.

The reason it has a the description limiter is because that we have a new feature (by popular demand) that allows users to set how many characters the description is. That should be coming out fairly quickly and dfinger you will be able to duplicate that style at that point.

Jessie

Well that explains why I couldn't find it! I doubt I'd need it, but would still like to see an example of it (if anyone can post a screenshot or link).

Thanks
    Great news. Thanks Jessie. I look forward to using the description limiter option when it comes out.

Sweeet. Height constraints and description limiters will be the answer to a few small prayers. PopShops just keeps getting better and better and better and...

Quote Originally Posted by JessieJ
    The "FaceBook" style is a new one that not everyone has (it appears in only new accounts). It was created in anticipation of a facebook app that may be coming out at some point.

The reason it has a the description limiter is because that we have a new feature (by popular demand) that allows users to set how many characters the description is. That should be coming out fairly quickly and dfinger you will be able to duplicate that style at that point.

Jessie
    A new style that not everyone has? So what do those of us with "old" accounts do to get the styles and features of the new accounts??
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    A new style that not everyone has? So what do those of us with "old" accounts do to get the styles and features of the new accounts??
    Hmmmm...Hey writerguy, don't know about you, but it kinda makes this "old(er) guy" feel a bit discriminated against. During that recent server move maybe they left "us" on the "older" servers.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Aww, Beachy and Writerguy!

Forgive us! All old guys, and old gals (including myself) will get new styles from this point forward.

Jessie

Forgive us! All old guys, and old gals (including myself) will get new styles from this point forward.

Jessie
    Sounds great. I can really use that height-limiting feature. Last week I created a great niche site w/ 39 PopShops pages. They all look great because the merchant has nice images and nearly equal length descriptions for each item.

But over the weekend I began adding a furniture store to a popular real estate site I operate in a resort town. The furniture images from a couple of merchants are fine, but the descriptions are all over the scale in length - so the pages look like cr*p. (sorry, but they do)

So, I went back and tried moving items around and matching relative sizes. That worked a bit better, but took a lot of time - and then, of course, the auto-feed pages "fell apart" again.

When I first read the post about the "facebook" style with fixed length (height?) style settings, I was encouraged. Now I realize I signed up just a bit too soon.

I'll be patient, 'cause I have plenty of other sites to work on. But, do you have an ETA for availability? Will we (older accounts) get the "facebook" style added soon - or only new styles moving forward? Or, should I just purchase another account to get it?
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..

Jessie
    So, can I, or will I (we) be getting that facebook style? I really would like to have the ability to limit the length of a display window. Or is that not an option for us "old timers?"

The description limiter is actually going to be in the next few days. It's not a style, it's a style attribute that you can set.

Jessie

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread