Question Help with php error logs
    I am hoping someone can help me translate the error logs for some GoldenCan pages and figure out who to contact about it. I don't know if the errors are due to something in the Merchan't db or the php from GoldenCan. The "line 152" in this case reads:
    Code:
    include($URL);
    and is part of the GC PHP code. There are about 20 lines in my error logs and they are all GC page-related. Here is a sample error code line, there is not a big difference in the rest of the error code lines except some are on domains and some are subdomains:

[02-Feb-2008 02:24:14] PHP Warning: include(http://si.goldencan.com/GetData.aspx...ctpage.html%3F) [<a href='function.include'>function.include</a>]: failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error in /home/mydomain/public_html/mysubdomain.com/productpage.html on line 152

PS - I am 1" away from clueless re: PHP. help?
    Thank you

2busy,
    Have you changed the .htaccess file to include the following so that your server will
    run php scripts.

this file is usually in the public folder -> .htaccess
    one or the other line of code should let you run a php script if mod rewrite is turned on, on your server.

AddType application/x-httpd-php .htm .html

AddHandler application/x-httpd-php .html .php .htm

There's a php setting called allow_url_fopen and allow_url_include (only in later versions of PHP) that are required to access external URLs as files. One of these may be set to off and causing your problem.

If you have access to your server's php.ini, you can set them there.

if not, you can try setting them directly in that file, before line 152, with these php commands:

ini_set("allow_url_fopen", "1");
    ini_set("allow_url_include", "1");

Worth a shot. good luck.

Thank you Bob, but yes, the .htaccess files are OK, the headers, footers and menus (all .php) are all loading fine except when it hits a problem in the GC feed and then the rest of the page (the footer) doesn't load.
    And thank you sjangro, I can access the php.ini file and it doesn't need editing in that area anyway. Other scripts are working from AvantLink and PopShops, just getting errors from some of the GC feeds. Because these sites are on shared hosting and there is always a new series of errors apparently from other sites on the server I am thinking that it is maybe a question of shared hosting with a very busy neighbor. I'm not using MySQL with any of the domains on that host but I can see lists of errors from someone else's scripts. The GC pages are loading just fine now so maybe it is a processing error on my host's server. I'll see what they can do. I do appreciate your input, it gave me a few things to check into.

Some hosts are updating from PHP 4 to PHP 5 these days, and it may be that that caused a hiccup. If you have a script that normally works but suddenly doesn't, you might check with your host to see if they have changed any settings.
    [URL=http://themoneyforums.com]The Money Forums[/URL]

Yes DoctorMike, I just saw this there: PHP version 5.2.5.
    I just don't know what can be done on my end if this change is affecting Golden Can's php? The pages seem to have one error and then show OK. I'm only using .php includes for navigation, headers and footers and those are not producing entries in the error logs. It's the pages with GoldenCan that are showing up in the error logs with a line of code referenced.
    I need to take a look at the php.ini settings though and make sure I have the right things in the right places. On one site all the errors are on a neighbors site but it looks like all those server error processes are causing problems on mine. Plain .html pages without any includes are taking forever to load.

Question An ongoing problem for me!
    I have similar issues with the Goldencan PHP script. This didn't happen on the earlier version, only since version 2 of the script.

This has happened on two different servers with different versions of php. When I was on shared hosting, it would generate a huge system error log. Now on a dedicated server, it only creates an error in the program log.

Things I know:

1) Php is properly enabled (the site runs Drupal 5.x)

2) I've tried include() and readfile() and both give this error.

3) I've tried recreating the store and using the new code. Same result.

4) It only seems to happen when Googlebot is accessing this particular store (Overstock). It doesn't happen when a human is accessing the code. The error is not there when Googlebot scans my other GC stores using similar PHP code.

This is ALWAYS the error reported with minor variation such as Googlebot's IP address.

Code:
    readfile(http://si.goldencan.com/GetData.aspx?ver=2.0&SID=mysidremoved&Host=www.mywebsiteremoved.com&PageURL=/index.php?q=overstore&gccid=11953999&IPAddress=66.249.71.87&UserAgent=Mozilla/5.0+(compatible;+Googlebot/2.1;++http://www.google.com/bot.html)) [<a href='function.readfile'>function.readfile</a>]: failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! in /includes/common.inc(1497) : eval()'d code on line 12.
    I tried contacting Goldencan via their site support link a week ago (Jul 15) and have heard nothing from them beyond their acknowledgement email.

I've also noticed that when a human does try to go to the site there's a VERY long pause before the page is displayed. This doesn't happen with my other GC stores, only this one which is for Overstock.com.

Does anyone have ANY idea on this?

Thanks in advance!
    Skip

Lightbulb
    Well, still have heard nothing from GC support, nor has anyone had any ideas (private or on forum) about this.

It's now showing up with MSNBot as well as Googlebot and I've had it happen a couple of times with me clicking the link. Still on the Overstock store, nothing else thus far.

I'm beginning to think the error means the GC server is being overloaded and the request goes beyond the php timeout.

Just my 2 worth.

Skip

Smile
    Still no response from GC Support.

From what I've been able to determine, this is related to the PHP.ini variable:

max_execution_time

Changing from 30 to 45 seconds has decreased the number of errors of the above type by probably 2/3rds.

So, it's apparently due to load outside my system. I noticed today that a human user had the same error.

Hope this helps someone else.

Skip

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread