Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Question Wireless Router Advice - Anyone?
    Need to buy a router to set up a wireless connection from a cable Internet. D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit Router looks interesting.

If anyone is using any wireless routers at the time and can advise on what's good and what's not so good out there, I would highly appreciate an advice.

Many thanks in advance.

Geno

I use cheap little NetGear routers for under $40. I have one at home, and a number of clients use them for open WiFi access.
    Respectfully,

John

----------------------------------------------
    work = Initiate Demand
    passion = Global Ground Work

Tax Paying Member
    I use the cheapies......Treat them as disposeable items and always have a spare.

I have had success and failures with Syslink and Belkin.

I have more unhappiness with my cable service (furnished by TW) than my wireless modems.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

I don't use at-home wireless. Too many additional security holes. You probably shouldn't be using it either. Sorry for the brevity, but it seems like a simple issue to me. Convenience vs security. If using a public hotspot, there are tools that can be used to create a VPN and that helps a little if you absolutely need to get online in public.

-sfcom

Quote Originally Posted by sfcom
    I don't use at-home wireless. Too many additional security holes. You probably shouldn't be using it either. Sorry for the brevity, but it seems like a simple issue to me. Convenience vs security.
    Interesting point brought up. Do firewalls provide no heal for it?

G.

Linksys WRT54G has user determined security that is easy to use and administer. It is a little more expensive (about $59) but sets up quickly (automatically in some cases) and hasn't given any trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by sfcom
    I don't use at-home wireless. Too many additional security holes. You probably shouldn't be using it either. Sorry for the brevity, but it seems like a simple issue to me. Convenience vs security. If using a public hotspot, there are tools that can be used to create a VPN and that helps a little if you absolutely need to get online in public.

-sfcom
    The two don't necessarily need to be mutually exclusive. I'll admit that today's wireless is less secure than a hardwired connection, with proper setup the risks are minimal. Wireless also offers much more than just convenience. There are productivity gains and cost savings that you just can't get with a hardwired connection.

I had the opportunity of visiting Novell's campus sometime ago and was amazed at how users were taking advantage of their wireless network. Users were outside at picnic tables with their laptops during breaks, in stairwells when the noise level in their cubes was too high and working while walking from building to building. One of the biggest expenses of networking for organizations in the past was the cable and managing it. To make it worse, if they changed locations they couldn't take it with them and had to start all over again.

Wireless on a scale that most of us utilize also has the same advantages. I love being able to take my tablet out on the balcony on a nice day. Being able to use it in the kitchen to view a recipe has also been helpful. I sit in bed in the mornings with my laptop and a cup of coffee on a bed tray and I sit on the sofa in the evenings while watching television. It's freed me from the confines of my home office. About the only room that I haven't computed in is the bathroom, I have to draw the line somewhere. My sister visited me a couple of weeks ago and brought her laptop with her. It was great that she could set up and work from anywhere without the need for me to pull wires to her location.

I've been using wireless at home for several years and I couldn't imagine ever going "hardwired" again.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    Interesting point brought up. Do firewalls provide no heal for it?

G.
    Today a firewall is a must for any network connection including wireless and it does provide you with another level of security. I also use a utility and service called iPig (iOpus Private Internet Gateway) that provides a secure tunnel that encrypts your data as an additional security measure. They have a free version that's great for when you can't avoid using a public network.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Wireless for me means not having to drill holes in the walls because of the locations of my available outlets. Or I could pay someone to install more outlets (not a job I'll tackle myself).

About two weeks ago I bought the Apple Airport Extreme base station. If money is not a huge factor for you, I recommend it (even if you don't have any Macs on your network). I'm very, very happy with mine.

I've had about a half a dozen Linksys wireless routers over the past 5-6 years or so, and I kept buying the cheapies because I kept rationalizing to myself that it was the better value. If the Airport Extreme dies on me in the next year or two, I'll go back to the cheapies
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    using wrtg4-g by linksys (they are owned by cisco).
    It's just OK but i clam down the router. setup firewall, IP filtering, etc.

D-Link and Linksys are good brands.

Most instances, they have the same chip components with different firmware.

Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    ...Wireless on a scale that most of us utilize also has the same advantages. I love being able to take my tablet out on the balcony on a nice day. Being able to use it in the kitchen to view a recipe has also been helpful. I sit in bed in the mornings with my laptop and a cup of coffee on a bed tray and I sit on the sofa in the evenings while watching television. It's freed me from the confines of my home office. About the only room that I haven't computed in is the bathroom, I have to draw the line somewhere. My sister visited me a couple of weeks ago and brought her laptop with her. It was great that she could set up and work from anywhere without the need for me to pull wires to her location.

I've been using wireless at home for several years and I couldn't imagine ever going "hardwired" again...
    Rematt, delete the coffee in bed, the recipes and change sister to sister-in-law - and I could have written that description. So, obviously I agree with the increased productivity point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by HecticDMC
    About two weeks ago I bought the Apple Airport Extreme base station. If money is not a huge factor for you, I recommend it (even if you don't have any Macs on your network). I'm very, very happy with mine.

I've had about a half a dozen Linksys wireless routers over the past 5-6 years or so, and I kept buying the cheapies because I kept rationalizing to myself that it was the better value. If the Airport Extreme dies on me in the next year or two, I'll go back to the cheapies
    A while back I burned out one of the earlier Apple Airports, but it was on 24/7 for nearly 4 years. So, you should anticipate good service.

Currently I am using a combo unit provided by Verizon DSL and have it "hardended up" a bit. In my "town home" neighborhood I can frequently see six other wireless networks - and three of them are wide open - which is a shame, because many people "just don't know."
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Been using Linksys for many years. never had any problems. Lock it down easily with web interface.. its a snap.

CPA Network Rep Dina - MarketLeverage Blogger's Avatar
    I think I have used every brand out there and I can't say that I loved any of them. Lightning struck my Buffalo router, they sent me a new one within a week, no questions asked.

Man you are making way too much Money $$$
    Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    Need to buy a router to set up a wireless connection from a cable Internet. D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit Router looks interesting.

If anyone is using any wireless routers at the time and can advise on what's good and what's not so good out there, I would highly appreciate an advice.

Many thanks in advance.

Geno
    After doing a pricegrabber(.) com check $120. That is high for a router.

I take for granted that you are NOT running some sort of High powered Gigabit networked server on the network that this router will be used on. (If you were you wouldn't be asking for computer help in a AM website, no offense I know these people are your virtual family).

I would recommend the highly rated "Belkin 54G." for $22-$66

http://www.cnet.com/routers/802-11g-...tag=prod.txt.4

You can email me (I'm too new for PM) your setup # laptops, #pcs how you use the equipment (ie video editing, gaming) and how far from the unit you will be using the wireless connection.

Do you have wireless phone system? What is the frequency of the phones?

I will be glad to look it up and let you know what I would recommend.

Stephen Navazio

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Been using Linksys Wireless-G 4-port for three years no problems and it's all you need for minor home wireless network. I think Linksys has always been the best when it comes to routers and wireless routers.

Every Linksys I've ever owned worked well for a while, then after a few months it would occasionally drop the connection to my laptop. The only solution was to power cycle it. That would go on for a while, then at the end of its lifespan, it would happen 3-5 times a week. I'd deal with that for a while until I started to get tired of it, then go buy a new one. Lather, rinse, repeat - for several years.

Maybe others have had better luck with them, but that's my story.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kruger
    I use cheap little NetGear routers for under $40.
    Me too. I've even bought them for friends and relatives too, so when I visit from then on, my laptop's connected and free to roam the grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    Me too. I've even bought them for friends and relatives too, so when I visit from then on, my laptop's connected and free to roam the grounds.
    I've done that too. They think it's a great gift, but I'm really just making sure that I've got a connection when I visit.

-rematt

Excellent conversation,

Fortunately for me my affliate program deals with a large amount of wireless routers and networking gear (Shameless plug),

However Geno, if you do want to go wireless I would be more than happy to get you into a GREAT router below retail and in exchange I can maybe ask you a few questions on affiliate marketing.

I use a Wireless Router from Linksys, the one that came with my Vonage Phone package.

To secure my wireless network, I turn on the WPA Security, and also restrict access to the MAC Addresses of my PC's.

If someone is REALLY worried about wireless security, check out Sonicwall's Wireless Boxes, like the TZ190W. You'll pay more for it, but they are extremely secure, but more of a pain to setup.

It is definitely nice to keep on working moving between the office desk, the dining room table, and the computer stand in the bedroom, just carrying the laptop as I go.

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy
    Linksys WRT54G has user determined security that is easy to use and administer. It is a little more expensive (about $59) but sets up quickly (automatically in some cases) and hasn't given any trouble.
    I like this one as well. I have a NetGear that I stopped using because it just didn't work consistently enough. Dropped signals, etc. I also have a DLink sitting around here somewhere that I stopped using because I was having issues with power. I liked it, but you had to be sitting within 15-20 feet to get a good signal and that's with the power bumped right up. I was going to switch out the antenna and see if that was the problem, but ended up switching ISPs instead.
    Lastly I am using a 2Wire right now only because it has a built in ADSL modem for my new ISP. It has the second best performance of any I have used to date although if it wasn't also my modem I would switch back to the Linksys.
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!
    ================================================================

Quote Originally Posted by kansasdragon

To secure my wireless network, I turn on the WPA Security, and also restrict access to the MAC Addresses of my PC's.
    This is a start. Not 100% safe, but more than the general public does.

I would just caution everyone on a wireless network, whether it be your own or a public one.

True, even wired systems can be compromised. But, it is a fact that wireless systems are more easily and more frequently penetrated.

I own a kingdom. An affiliate marketing kingdom. I built my castle to withstand attack. That is my number one priority because without security, my kingdom perishes.

That is of course an exaggeration, but the basic premise holds true. Safety before convenience.

Instead of a wireless network, I use a 100 foot cat5 cable w/ my notebook. It is long enough to reach anywhere I need it to. I am just as productive as anyone here on wireless, possibly more so due to a constant signal. Plus, I have all of the hardware and software firewalls, etc. in place to rest easy.

I would encourage anyone who uses interfaces that contain affiliate personal data not to use a wireless connection. Our safety is in your hands. Again, please use a VPN service (Like JiWire Hotspot Helper) if public wireless is unavoidable. You can see an example of wireless gone wrong here also.

-sfcom

I became a little dubious when my son related that he found that his neighbors on either side were using that free internet signal coming from his house - I showed him what security options to invoke (not using the default password) and that seemed to 'fix' the problem - until my grandson came over with his laptop - he tried Uncle Mike's WiFi - saw the security and broke it within two minutes - I have cat 5e wires all over the crawl space under my house - somewhat safer and a lot faster network

If you do not have a notebook in your home, you do not need a wireless connection.

get some powerline ethernet plugs and you will have faster speeds and no security issues.

In addition to the speed boost that you get from an 802.11n wireless access point, you also benefit from a greater range of connectivity than 802.11g. This is an important factor to consider if you need coverage throughout your home, and a feature that makes the higher cost of an n router worth the extra money.

The n standard has a range of about 70 meters indoors compared to about 36 meters with g (your results will vary on the number and type of walls in your home). Also the n standard operates outside of the 2.4ghz spectrum that the g standard uses. The 2.4 ghz spectrum is fairly crowded with cordless phones and microwave ovens (among other common household appliances) resulting in interference that may hamper your wireless connection.

If you go the n route, just make sure that your main laptop has an n client adapter or you won't see the benefit of the increased speeds. If all you have are g client adapters (such as the kind an iPhone uses or most laptops built prior to last year) then an n router will be able to handle those devices, but it will be slower and subject to the 2.4ghz spectrum interference.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast