Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Do You Want Your Widgets?

Question How Do You Want Your Widgets?
    I thought of putting together a poll, but before I do, I would like to gather some affiliate feedback as to how exactly you use widgets (if you do).

Do you often use them in place of banners?

Which dimension of the widget is more important to you: width or height? I'm reading that a "standard" widget widths are 160-200 px. Is this pretty much what you're looking for, and is the height almost irrelevant (as long as it's not 1000 px)?

Is it important that the colors of the widget match your website's design, or would you use any color widget? Or maybe you prefer widgets that are in neutral colors (soothing taupe, cream, off-whites, black, white)?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Educate me, please.

Many thanks in advance.

Geno

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I only use 160px wide sidebars so anything that doesn't match, isn't used. I prefer gray or no-border widgets.

Tax Paying Member
    I use them in place of banners.

I do not especially like the narrow ones......Although they do have their place.

I look for the half to 3/4 page size............Length(height is not usually a factor.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Thank you, L. and W.! This is helpful.

Anyone else?

Geno

Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    I only use 160px wide sidebars so anything that doesn't match, isn't used. I prefer gray or no-border widgets.
    I am just getting into using widgets, and will be using them to rotate with or replace AdSense 160x600 units. In places where the AdSense works well, I may be able to pick up some "real sales" in lieu of a couple cents per click.

So 160 wide by nearly any length would work for me.

Some other sizes may also work in some of my sites, but I am also determined to learn how to create my own widgets.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I have used some, nearly full page-wide, on a page in additon to goldencan or popshops code for the same company.

Especially useful for seasonal products.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov

Which dimension of the widget is more important to you: width or height? I'm reading that a "standard" widget widths are 160-200 px. Is this pretty much what you're looking for, and is the height almost irrelevant (as long as it's not 1000 px)?
    I'd like to have a few choices of different sizes. Depends on how hard or how costly to make widgets.

Is it important that the colors of the widget match your website's design, or would you use any color widget? Or maybe you prefer widgets that are in neutral colors (soothing taupe, cream, off-whites, black, white)?
    Neutral colors please. Black and white works just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Beachy
    I am just getting into using widgets, and will be using them to rotate with or replace AdSense 160x600 units. In places where the AdSense works well, I may be able to pick up some "real sales" in lieu of a couple cents per click.

So 160 wide by nearly any length would work for me.

Some other sizes may also work in some of my sites, but I am also determined to learn how to create my own widgets.
    Like Beachy, I use a lot of 160x??? stuff in my sidebars on some blogs and some sites put together with WordPress software. That would be good.

I have one site I put 240x240 on near the top of a sidebar, but that's a pretty odd size, I guess.

And I also tend to use the widgets as replacements or additions to banner spots on the site.
    Generate more fake news.

Ok. Sounds like 160 is a good width for widget leaderboard.

Quote Originally Posted by mayfly
    I'd like to have a few choices of different sizes. Depends on how hard or how costly to make widgets.
    It's neither hard, nor costy. Also, creating widgets of different sizes is, IMO, much easier than creating banners of different sizes. So when you say you'd "like to have a few choices of different sizes" - what sizes would you like to see if you could pick 4-5.

Geno

I wonder why so many merchants only offer 120px wide banners (considering the other replies in this thread).

I really thought that I was alone in preferring 160px wide.

I'd like my widgets scrambled with a little bit of cheddar cheese, please.

In all seriousness though, I like 160 or 120 width skyscrapers. Also, I like squares... 125X125, 250X250, 300X300, etc. White or neutral (tan, light gray) backgrounds.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

I wonder why so many merchants only offer 120px wide banners (considering the other replies in this thread).

Maybe it's time for a new poll on banner sizes.

Maybe it's time for a new poll on banner sizes.
    Yes, I had seen that thread, but it doesn't really cover all the different sizes. I didn't see my favorite size, 160x300, which really works well for me by fitting between menus, etc. Perhaps in 2005, the narrower banners made more sense with the smaller resolutions used then.

Tax Paying Member

A 120 wide tower obviously takes less space and usually gets the message across as well as 160. A 160 tower can be sometimes overpowering on a page.

I use both, but when I use 160 tower, it usually becomes the focal point of the page.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Tax Paying Member
    160x300, which really works well for me by fitting between menus, etc.

I do agree wholeheartly with this.
    Carolina China

I thought of putting together a poll, but before I do, I would like to gather some affiliate feedback as to how exactly you use widgets (if you do).

Do you often use them in place of banners?

No.
    No.
    No.
    Any feedback would be much appreciated.
    Well, here is some real personal feedback:

The first time I hear about widgets, was when it was introduced on the SAS forum.

At first, I saw them as a good tool like the GoldenCan tool.

But after a while, I noticed a few problems with those widgets, I even opened a tread about those problems.

I complained about the fixed size of of those widgets, because while one may look good on one site, it may not even fit on another site.

I complained about the default color of those widgets, because while one may look good on one site, the tab links may not look like links on another site.

I also asked about why not making those widgets liquid so we can put them anywhere and not have the problem of that size don't fit, and also about making those widgets capable of using our sites default CSS, and not the widgets fixed CSS.

Also, later there was the problem of widgets that were not updated frequently, so we end up using a new tool with outdated content.

So after a while I get mad from the lack of support from the ones making those widgets, that I decided to go learn for myself how to make my own widgets.

Well, after I tried a few different demos I found on the net, I found one that I was able to use in my sites, and just only worry about what I wanted to show on those made by me widgets, because I was able to make them any size I wanted, and any color that fitted with the site.

By now that I have learned how to make my own widgets, I don't really care that much about pre-made standard widgets that can't be adjusted to fit my site needs, but I also have learned that it's not that easy to keep all those widgets updated from the affiliate managers side, specialy when they have to deal with special request from the affiliates, because those widgets will have a fixed size and color theme.

So I have figured that since I can have my own made widgets get outdated, because some times I have either forgot where they all are, or just because I have no time to look for all of them, how can can I blame any affiliate managers for keeping all of their fixed and special made widgets, updated.

But... and this is a big but...

Only if any affiliate managers can guarantee to have all of their widgets updated, and not to change the specially made widgets size or color down the road, then I would think that any of those widgets made, would be worth the time and efford for their affiliates to use those widgets.

Ok, enough with my , I think I have gave enough personal feedback here.

ABW Ambassador
    Ok. Sounds like 160 is a good width for widget leaderboard.

It's neither hard, nor costy. Also, creating widgets of different sizes is, IMO, much easier than creating banners of different sizes. So when you say you'd "like to have a few choices of different sizes" - what sizes would you like to see if you could pick 4-5.

Geno
    I'm not a big fan of skyscrapers. Something like 160X300, 468X300, 234X300, 120X300 with navigation bars on top(wide ones) will be good. Also, I like to use 120X240 size banners to fill in some page spaces. A widget size of 120X240 will be a nice option, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Beachy
    If you really want to make your own widgets, check this link out:
    Ajax Tabs Content Script (v 2.0)

For me it was a piece of cake to learn how some widgets work, and how to make my own adjustable widgets!

But don't tell anybody, we don't need more competition.

Give us choices similar to Google Ads:

Something that will fit in a sidebar (160 is great)
    Give us a few boxes of varying sizes, small, medium, large

The most important thing to me is that you keep them updated. The whole point should be that we put them up and they stay current. Too many merchants let them reflect a holiday or season long after they should have been redone.

Judi, great points! Do you want images in them, or all-text is better?

Sal, I love that Ajax Tabs script! Won't tell anyone!!

Geno

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    Also, later there was the problem of widgets that were not updated frequently, so we end up using a new tool with outdated content.
    I used to have a widget on one of my sites' homepage. It had a few products highlights on it. After a few weeks(?), for some reason, the widget shrank(I guess it was because some of the highlighted products became unavailable?)and left a big blank spot on my homepage. It made my site look very funny .

Only if any affiliate managers can guarantee to have all of their widgets updated, and not to change the specially made widgets size or color down the road, then I would think that any of those widgets made, would be worth the time and efford for their affiliates to use those widgets.
    [/left]
    Maybe Geno will guarantee that?

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    If you really want to make your own widgets, check this link out:
    Ajax Tabs Content Script (v 2.0)

For me it was a piece of cake to learn how some widgets work, and how to make my own adjustable widgets!
    Thanks Mr. Sal for the link. I'm sure it is a great tool to learn and I wish I can take it as easy as a piece of cake.

For now, I'd rather let Geno and other AMs take care of it.

Quote Originally Posted by mayfly
    Maybe Geno will guarantee that?
    I am keeping my widgets updated and stable in size and color; and I do encourage affiliates to use them.

Geno

I am keeping my widgets updated and stable in size and color; and I do encourage affiliates to use them.

Geno
    We applaud you for that, too, Geno. I wish all affiliate managers were as good at the job as you are, my friend.

Unfortunately, as did Mr. Sal, I found many of the widgets were never updated until one of the affiliates yelled loudly enough to remind the affiliate manager in charge.

Could be too many widgets and not enough AMs, I guess??
    Generate more fake news.

So, to sum up what has been said above:

• If you can have only one size widget - it better be 160x300 px in size
    • Stick to the width of 120 px and 160 px (if you have to choose one of these two - choose 160 px)
    • There is also room for 125x125, 250x250, and 300x300 squares
    • Other good sizes: 120x240, 120x300, 468x300, and 234x300
    • Have a few full-page-wide widgets in place
    • Have widgets for seasonal products and, when possible, have them dynamically update depending on what holiday is coming up
    • The border of the widget in gray (or no border) is preferable
    • The colors used in the widget are not to be agressive, but rather neutral (soothing taupe, cream, off-whites, black, white)
    • By all means, keep your widgets updated and stable in size and color!

If anyone have anything else to add (or comment on anything listed above), I'd appreciate it too.

Thanks.

Geno

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast