Affiliate Manager
    Anyone on Pepperjam?
    Hi, this question goes to publishers or merchants. I heard that pepperjam is now running their own affiliate network.
    Anybody had any experience with them?

Thanks
    Last edited by skuba; February 4th, 2008 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skuba
    I heard that pepperjam is not running their own affiliate network.
    Is it a typo, and you meant to say "now running" instead of "not running"?

I've also moved the thread from CJ forum to the "Other Affiliate Networks" one.

Geno

Affiliate Manager
    yes, now running. I fixed it.
    Thanks

ABW Ambassador
    Yep, they're now a network, they do affiliate management, and are also affiliates themselves.

So all ur data belong to pepperjam.

Are you after the apparel brands that they promote?

Use Dr. Jays for those brands instead. They convert well, pay on bonus tiers, and pay on time or early.

Pepperjam is a black hole. You may as well flush your traffic down the toilet.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Just throwing this out there, wouldn't a network run by people knowing what affiliates really want be a good thing? So many networks have techies that create the interfaces in ways they like not even thinking about how affiliates will use it or what they need.

What is it that everyone is leary of?

As for them doing search, they got where they are because they are good at it. I doubt they need info from other affiliates to succeed.

I've been testing them with one merchant and it works well. For Feb so far, this merchant is converting at about 16% as I would expect. Not sure about the black hole thing. I'm not promoting any of those "phat" apparel merchants. There are surely lame merchants there too.

As for the concern about them seeing your data, a little paranoia is always a good thing. Your data is everywhere and anywhere you put a network tracking link, adsense ads, a widget like chitika, popshops, goldencan, mybloglog, etc. you're handing over valuable data and trusting someone with it. That shouldn't be taken lightly.

Pepperjam has made the transition to a professional network. Unless they want to fail, they're not going to piss in the well by stealing your data, no more chance of that than at any other network. That's my opinion, anyway. Some might prefer to wait and see or stay away entirely.

There's the concern that was expressed here about the sorts of affiliates they have in their network, which from what I've seen is no worse than the other major networks (SAS notwithstanding).

I agree with Connie. Their history as successful affiliates puts them in the position to know how to do it right by affiliates. So far so good.

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    They started their own forum here last month I think it lasted less than 48 hours.
    They were asked some questions about there relationship with U promise etc. and PJ as network... AND an affiliate, hence a competitor.
    That being a conflict of interest etc.

Rather than address these and other issues they basically pulled up stakes and declined do so.

In fact you can't do a search all those posts were deleted by them.
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by flamingoworld
    Just throwing this out there, wouldn't a network run by people knowing what affiliates really want be a good thing?
    Absolutely! But I'm usually pretty skeptical about anything new and doubly so about a new network that promises transparency and then refuses to answer any questions.

So many networks have techies that create the interfaces in ways they like not even thinking about how affiliates will use it or what they need..
    Having been affiliates would definitely give them a better feel for what works and what doesn't from our standpoint. But I'm pretty sure that I haven't lost too much money due to a poor interface. The fact that they have decided to remain affiliates and compete with us while having access to our data just seems like to much of a sacrifice to make in return for a better user experience.

What is it that everyone is leary of?
    Again, someone that promises transparency and when questioned cried foul and refused to answer the questions. I don't see the transparency there, unless they were only referring to the access that merchants would be given and not the affiliates.

As for them doing search, they got where they are because they are good at it. I doubt they need info from other affiliates to succeed.
    But wouldn't you agree that by being both an affiliate and a network that it at least opens up the possibilities of a conflict of interest?

I had nothing against Pepperjam in the beginning. In fact after reading their press release I was excited about the prospect of new opportunities. The fact that they came from the affiliate side of the fence only added to my excitement. Then I saw question after question being totally ignored and my excitement began to wane somewhat.

So yes, I can see several advantages in the promise of a network like Pepperjam, unfortunately the reality of Pepperjam doesn't appear to hold up to scrutiny. If life were no more than a great press release they'd be stars in my book.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

http and a telephoto
    But wouldn't you agree that by being both an affiliate and a network that it at least opens up the possibilities of a conflict of interest?
    Almost every CPA network is both, and didn't both CJ and Linkshare purchase superaffiliates?

Conflict of interest abounds, chose your network based on the merchants you need for your sites, and be leary of how much info you give any of them.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

As for them closing their forum right after opening it, I have seen people here drive merchants out of here very quickly by attacking them instead of having a civil dialog. I think it is something that they felt ABW was important enough to open a forum here. I think it sad that they were driven away so quickly. Yes, they know about ABW and perhaps should have had thicker skin. But I think we sometimes go about things the wrong way and close doors instead of opening them.

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    Connie, I though the dialog was civil enough, Kris declined to answer same.

Civility aside, and notwithstanding his emotional state and misstatement of the facts, his approach was unwarranted and is counterproductive in any situation where you are attempting to resolve a matter.
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

Affiliate Manager
    No, I am trying to get the perspective from both publishers and merchants.

Thanks

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread