Unhappy No Sales?
    No Sales?

I am using 'Shop Window' search, standard template.

I have had no sales over some time.

My Traffic levels are low and I've had hosting issues which has reduced chances of sales more.

What can be done to increase sales?

I will not give my link unless asked, because I don't want to spole this forum by self promotion.

Welcome aboard Traffic producer. How to increase sales is a pretty broad question. But some of the issues that could effect sales are:

- Low traffic as you've mentioned or non-targeted traffic.
    - Non-focused pages. Are your sites visitors finding what they were looking for?
    - Merchant selection. Do the merchants you're promoting provide a good buying experience for your users? Do they have the right products at the right prices?
    - Is you site visually appealing. Are there banners everywhere or Adsense filling every bit of white space.

And there are dozens of others.

There are really way too many variables to even begin to tell you where to look. I would really recommend that you submit your site for a review. You can first eliminate the onsite barriers this way and then start to focus on other issues. Just be prepared for a lot of brutal honesty, but also for a lot of great tips for improvement.

Once you've eliminated the onsite barriers you should start to look at getting more traffic to your site. There are plenty of great threads on how to drive organic traffic and PPC, but that may be a little premature.

Also if you are having continuing hosting issues, it may be time to move to a new host. What's the point of driving traffic to an unreachable site?

Good luck and absorb all that you can here. Be careful though, there's so much information it could make your head explode.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Thumbs up Thankyou for an EXCELLENT answer :)
    Thankyou for an EXCELLENT answer, (sorry to shout but it’s a great answer.)

As stated I’m using the Search ‘Shop Window’ so if users use a search they should find what they are looking for.

The host I have now appear to be more stable, (thankfully).

I think I need to increase Traffic, but I'm in a situation of no money, no traffic which equals no money, at this time.

I used to do a better with CJ than ShareASale but that was adding links by hand and took too much work, (datafeeds at CJ would cost me too much, at this time).

Thank You

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    I think the best way to increase organic (not paid) traffic is to offer original content or at the very least useful content that people are looking for. It takes a lot of effort to build up a site with good content. Content can be original articles, data feed products, coupons or whatever you can dream up that hasn't already been done to death.

If your site is offering what people are searching for, search engines will send you plenty of free traffic.

Once you have substantial and consistent traffic flow, sales will start to happen. Then you have to keep at it and continue to grow your site and business.

For the record, I make more sales with ShareASale than any other "big" network.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Thumbs up I make more sales with ShareASale
    "For the record, I make more sales with ShareASale than any other "big"
    network. "

That's great to hear, thanks

rematt summed it up beautifully. In the bricks & mortar world, the old adage is "location, location, location", which online means "traffic, traffic, traffic." But not just eyeballs -- you must get targetted traffic, which means you offer what people are looking for, so there's little reason for them to go anyplace else.

As Rexanne pointed out, good quality content is what the search engines are looking for, so focus on that and remember that the more pages the better. That is to say, a bigger site that is well designed is better than a smaller site because you'll have more doorways for people to enter.

I don't know if there's ever been a study as to the ratio of visitors-to-buyers, and there's probably too many variables to make such a number meaningful. In the old days of paper advertising, a biz would love to get a 1% return (one percent of the people who see the ad buy something). I would be absolutely ecstatic if 1% of my total unique visitors made a purchase -- I'd be giggling all the way to the bank! (Note I am not talking about "hits", but rather "unique visitors", meaning one person visiting one website during one 24 hour period, no matter how many pages they view and no matter how many times they return during that single day -- they still count only as "1").

But my general sense is that very few online businesses hit the magic 1% number, so my attitude is to just keep doing as good a job as possible (I try to make some improvement -- even a small one -- every day), and let the dust settle where it will. With that approach, eventually it all seems to work out ... as our elders used to tell us, "perseverance furthers"!

Talking few online businesses hit the magic
    few online businesses hit the magic
    1% number

Your talking about convertion. There must be many studies in to this.

Especially where users are using PPC, paying hard cash for their Traffic.

As stated this will depend on many factors, which could be changing anyway.

P.S. I’m quite pleased with my Organic Traffic.

I'm quite supprised that a convertion rate as low a 1% is good...

This would explaine a lot, as to why no sales.

I'm quite supprised that a convertion rate as low a 1% is good
    But again, this is just my opinion based on my experience, and what I've observed from quite a few others. No doubt there are people who hit that and more on a regular basis. We make some sales/commissions pretty much every day, but I'd say that is because we really focus on driving targetted traffic, which results in a decent visitor count. Whenever the visitor stats drop, so does the $$.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread