ABW Ambassador
    Ebay Question/Ebay Stores and Editor Kit
    When using the editor kit, that's just for auctions and auctions that have buy it now but not ebay stores? There is this one item that has only about a handful of items to bid on but hundreds in eBay Stores and using the editor kit, don't see a way for the ebay store stuff to show up.

Just to be sure, we get paid if people get to ebay via one of your links and buys something at ebay stores? But is there a way to link to products at ebay stores? Thanks.

Yes, the Flexible Destination Tool. This used to frustrate me too. I used to only use the Editor Kit for the current listings, but I wanted to include the eBay store results too. One day I discovered the Flexible Destination Tool. So now I put two links on each page. The Editor Kit listings, naturally, and a link that says:

Browse Available Buy-It-Now Blue Widgets at eBay

which I create using the Flexible Destination Tool. The beauty of this is once I set up one set of links on a page in a certain section, I can easily Search and Replace to change the words (and then the results) for another page in the same section. I don't actually have to use the tools once I have the formats set up.

It's also great for directing people to other areas of eBay like the discussion boards, and Want It Now section. I've seen sales come through where I've suggested people post what they want at the Want It Now section (because I code the SID so I know it). Just today at my forum somebody suggested somebody check out a Discussion Group at eBay. To make it easy for visitors, I changed the post to include a link to the specific group ... but first I coded it with the Flexible Destination Tool.

And yes, you get paid for any sales, whether regular auctions, or eBay stores, so why not cover all bases?

To use the Flexible Destination Tool, simply do your search at eBay (make sure you select the Buy It Now tab if you want to only display the BINs), and paste the resulting URL in the tool. Be sure to enter your CJ PID number.

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for the reply, will give it a try.

I also discovered that you can use an editor kit, or ebay to go, to link to a single seller's ebay store. So if there is one outstanding seller in the category you are promoting, you could always do that too.

People have been howling for ages for eBay to put a tag on the editor kit would return (1) auctions only, (2) stores only, or (3) both.

For whatever reason, eBay has no interest in doing this.

Of course since no one at eBay ever posts on their message board or responds to emails I have no way of actually knowing if anyone has ever seen the messages.

They're too busy f*cking up the feedback system and search algorithms...
    EPN - Cautiously, but paranoically, optimistic.

I agree, it would be nice to have the option of picking what we want displayed. I remember a couple of years ago when for a few weeks the BINs showed up in the Editor Kit listings. I thought they finally realized the value of having them display, but they soon took them out.

Maybe this will change in the future because evidently John Donahoe has big plans:

Mr. Donahoe also proposes a much more clearheaded way of combining fixed-price listings, which are appropriate for new current-model products, and auctions, which are the best way to find prices for unique, older and used merchandise.

Right now, you can buy fixed-price goods on the main eBay site, on its eBay Express site that is devoted to them, and on its Shopping.com site, which aggregates offers from larger online stores. Mr. Donahoe suggests that in the future all these options will be presented on a single page of search results from eBay’s main site.

John Donahoe’s Plan to Save eBay: Better Search

Sorry, at this stage I have ZERO confidence in Donahoe's ability to do anything other than ****ing up eBay entirely.

As one who is not only an affiliate but also an eBay Store owner, the man is singlehandedly dismantling eBay.
    EPN - Cautiously, but paranoically, optimistic.

Jeeezzzzzzzzzzzze. I'm also having trouble with the editor kit. I've been having good results using it for months, but I wanted to tweek my code a bit now that I've seen what they're buying, etc. When I first used the Editor Kit, it would give me "Page cannot be displayed" almost constantly. I resorted to taking the snippet of code I managed to get and figuring out where the keywords were in that code and changing them manually for the other snippets of code I use on different pages of the site.

This time using the Editor Kit code generator, it's not only excruciatingly slow because of the "Page cannot be displayed" errors, but after taking the time to look up category numbers, it's ignoring the category number and giving me 'all categories' results.

Is anyone else having this problem? Is it maybe due to settings on my computer that the page will not display? I'm not going to waste my time contacting the manager because I have tried that before and never received a reply.

DesignST- I hate the editor kits and rarely use them. If you don't mind paying for a better solution, you could try PHPbay. PhPbay won't work for everything, but I do think it's worth the money. I think the editor kits are a big hassle to use, in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by amysolovay
    DesignST- I hate the editor kits and rarely use them. If you don't mind paying for a better solution, you could try PHPbay. PhPbay won't work for everything, but I do think it's worth the money. I think the editor kits are a big hassle to use, in comparison.
    amysolovay: Thank you! I will look into these. Anything that will make it easier!

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread