Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Search Marketing
    Ok, I did a search (as suggested) and didn't find an answer to my questions so I'll ask here.

What about Search marketing vs Affiliate marketing.

I created a site full of affliate products that I will have to update constantly to keep up with my affiliates sales/offerings. I've read that when the customer clicks on your affiliate link the chances of conversion are poor. True or Untrue?

Is Search marketing easier (because you only have to update your links in your ppc campaigns) and more profitable?

Please post your thoughts/ideas/critiques about Search Marketing.

Thank you.

ABW Ambassador
    Search Marketing:

There is organic SERP marketing and PPC "arbitrage"

BOTH work well to promote a merchant via affiliate marketing.

Why not do both.

I'd like to do both. I'm still learning more about search marketing but looking for advice. Thanks for your post.

ABW Ambassador
    Read SEObook.com [no affiliation]

I've been reading Affiliate Millions by Anthony Borelli.

ABW Ambassador
    WmW is a good site for SEM beginners. Most of that site is free.

"Affiliate Millions"?
    Is that something like eBooks made easy?

Its a how-to book about search marketing. Very detailed, no hype.
    http://www.amazon.com/Affiliate-Mill.../dp/0470100346

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant Consultant Team
    "Affiliate Millions"?
    Is that something like eBooks made easy?
    No, it's published by Wiley (a reputable academic publisher).

It is possible to read a chapter excerpt in PDF format along with the Table of Contents and the Index if you go to this Wiley web page (it is not an affiliate page):

http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyT...470100346.html

ISBN: 978-0-470-10034-9
    Hardcover
    253 pages
    April 2007

An instructor may request a review copy
    Last edited by Rhia7; February 4th, 2008 at 08:05 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Mulligan.....you sure are one smart cookie
    I will go golfing with you anytime!

Quote Originally Posted by IOWNIE
    Mulligan.....you sure are one smart cookie
    I will go golfing with you anytime!
    That's a good offer -- here's my offer:

Mulligan ... you sure are one smart cookie, did you know that you can PM me when you get PM privileges? Now, is that a great offer or what?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Wow! Thank you both!

What shall we talk about Rhia? Search Marketing?

Quote Originally Posted by Mulligan
    Wow! Thank you both!

What shall we talk about Rhia? Search Marketing?
    Looking forward to discussing search marketing.

Your book suggestion made it into the Library of Congress Online Catalog records:
    http://catalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebr...NT=25&PID=1077
    The LC Classification number is: HF5415.1265 .B67 2007
    The Dewey Decimal # is: 658.8/72 22
    This means you can inter-library loan this book for free from your local public or academic library.
    You can also go to a library and browse the books arranged on the shelves around those call numbers to see if there are any other related guides on the topic.

In the meantime here are some tips for you:
    • If anyone has done anything, congratulate them
    • If it's someone's birthday, say "Happy Birthday"
    • Feel free to contribute to any thread and participate
    • Participate and the PM Fairy Godmother will wave her wand before you can say "optimizer."
    Last edited by Rhia7; February 4th, 2008 at 08:43 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I've been reading Affiliate Millions by Anthony Borelli.
    If you're reading that book, you should read closely these reviews of it over at Amazon. Those are just the one-star reviews, but they're more revealing than the other ones.

Low cost ways to learn about Search Marketing
    One example of a low cost way to find information is to go to a trade show near you.

As an example I went to ad:tech New York free because I registered in advance (I live there so I didn't pay extra for accommodations).

There will be an ad:tech in San Francisco | April 15 - 17, 2008, perhaps it would be worth your while to go?

I was able to subscribe to some search marketing magazines for free since I signed up for them at the ad:tech trade show.

One example is: www.searchmarketingstandard.com

You might want to check out http://www.adtechblog.com/
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Actually I already get this magazine. Or should I say "advertisement" It is chock full of page size ads for industry related stuff. Very little in the way of content.

No, I didn't read the reviews ghoti. I need information. Reviews are like opinions are like a$$ho!es... everybody has one. And your comment added nothing to my question.

So..... does anybody have any direct experience with Search Marketing or advice or suggestion relating to my question? I mean other than referring me to a website/book/magazine/trade show/etc. I can do a google search and find all of that myself.

No, I didn't read the reviews ghoti.
    I guess your questions weren't genuine, then, if you're not willing to look at what's pointed out to you.

Good luck on your search. You may need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7

Rhia7: Thanks for these resources!! I have already learned some good info to help with my website!!

No, I didn't read the reviews ghoti. I need information. Reviews are like opinions are like a$$ho!es... everybody has one. And your comment added nothing to my question.
    good attitude.
    I can do a google search and find all of that myself.
    Then knock yourself out.
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    So do you mean experience with PPC? Lots of people here do Pay Per Click advertising. I'm only doing organic search results. Perhaps if you made your question more specific than "search marketing", you will get a more specific answer. It is like asking about affiliate marketing :-)

I don't see why you are getting upset with all of the helpful answer's you've been given. Plenty of links and resources to browse and learn from.

If you mean Search Marketing as: Search Marketing
    In Internet marketing, search engine marketing, or Search Marketing, is a variety of methods to used increase the visibility of a website in search engine results pages (SERPs).

Then research SEO.

Wow... so many *******s located in one place! It's obvious that some of you are only here to flame other members and not to offer any thing more than a half-witted opinion.

With the exception of lostdeviat, thank you for your questions, the rest of you contributed nothing substantial.

The purpose of message boards is to communicate, share, relate. Not say.... go to this web site. Or... did you read the reviews?

If you cant muster a valid response/question (as lostdeviant did) then I would prefer you take your grade school comments to another thread. Go flame someone else.

What about Search marketing vs Affiliate marketing.
    Search marketing consists of PPC (Pay Per Click) and Organic searches. Affiliate marketing deals with selling goods through merchants and getting a percentage of sales from the traffic that came from you.
    I created a site full of affliate products that I will have to update constantly to keep up with my affiliates sales/offerings. I've read that when the customer clicks on your affiliate link the chances of conversion are poor. True or Untrue?
    Untrue. It depends on how you designed your site, and how much information you have for your visitors. The more pre-sell information, the better.
    Is Search marketing easier (because you only have to update your links in your ppc campaigns) and more profitable?
    No, PPC can be even more a pain because you are constantly trying to get the lowest bid but still get a good CTR (Click Through Rate). Now, even if you manage to get a decent bid and CTR, your chances of making a sale with the merchant depends on the merchants website. The more popular (like Amazon) the better. As far as being more profitable, no. It's actually better if you can build a website around a product or niche and give the customer plenty of information to get them in the mood to buy that product.

When I first started dealing with PPC and direct to merchant, my conversions were about 1%. I then made my own website around the niche and directed the PPC traffic to my site, and my conversions went up. How much they go up depends on how targeted your keywords are, and how well your site is built for the consumer.

I tested the waters with very specific keywords for my niche, and my conversion was close to 30%. I then got into a little more general keywords to drive more traffic, and my conversion went down. My conversion rate now is around 5%, but I'm happy with it because I'm making a profit each month. Of course with the more general keywords, I have them at a lower bid, otherwise I wouldn't be making any profit. The more specific keywords are at a higher bid.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanadili
    Search marketing consists of PPC (Pay Per Click) and Organic searches. Affiliate marketing deals with selling goods through merchants and getting a percentage of sales from the traffic that came from you.
    Untrue. It depends on how you designed your site, and how much information you have for your visitors. The more pre-sell information, the better.
    No, PPC can be even more a pain because you are constantly trying to get the lowest bid but still get a good CTR (Click Through Rate). Now, even if you manage to get a decent bid and CTR, your chances of making a sale with the merchant depends on the merchants website. The more popular (like Amazon) the better. As far as being more profitable, no. It's actually better if you can build a website around a product or niche and give the customer plenty of information to get them in the mood to buy that product.

When I first started dealing with PPC and direct to merchant, my conversions were about 1%. I then made my own website around the niche and directed the PPC traffic to my site, and my conversions went up. How much they go up depends on how targeted your keywords are, and how well your site is built for the consumer.

I tested the waters with very specific keywords for my niche, and my conversion was close to 30%. I then got into a little more general keywords to drive more traffic, and my conversion went down. My conversion rate now is around 5%, but I'm happy with it because I'm making a profit each month. Of course with the more general keywords, I have them at a lower bid, otherwise I wouldn't be making any profit. The more specific keywords are at a higher bid.

Lanadili!!!! What a breathe of fresh air. Thank you thank you. That's what I was looking for. And that is the informaton I have not been able to find in a book or online article.

Yes, I was talking about just placing affilate links in ppc ads that direct the user to amazon versus creating a web site (i've been creating sites for years) and then promoting it via submissions, article writing, blogging, seo (which i've been doing for years also).

Thank you very much for your post.

Ding, ding ding, ding. Lanadili I think you just won the prize for deciphering what Mulligan is asking for.

Mulligan, I believe what you are referring to as "search marketing" we refer to as DTM PPC or Direct to Merchant PPC. I think part of your frustration was not knowing what to search for. Don't feel bad, I didn't know what it was called until a few months ago. Here's a great thread from last summer that is pretty much the definitive resource on DTM PPC. Tips for getting started on DTM PPC?

Now on to another issue, where the ^&%$% do you get off criticizing people that are trying to offer you help and advice? You say that "purpose of message boards is to communicate, share, relate" yet you blast those that try to provide what they think is useful information. You don't necessarily get to dictate the format of the resources provided.

Take a chill pill and apologize to the people that you've insulted here.

-rematt
    Last edited by rematt; February 5th, 2008 at 02:39 PM.
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

irrefutable
    Quote Originally Posted by mulligan
    the rest of you contributed nothing substantial.
    With the exception of myself, I disagree. ( I'm just here because I thought your response to the others was quite rude.)
    Read SEObook.com
    WmW is a good site for SEM beginners. Most of that site is free.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghoti
    If you're reading that book, you should read closely these reviews of it over at Amazon. Those are just the one-star reviews, but they're more revealing than the other ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    One example of a low cost way to find information is to go to a trade show near you.
    <snip>

I was able to subscribe to some search marketing magazines for free since I signed up for them at the ad:tech trade show.

+ Lostdeviant
    + Lanadili (EXCELLENT post btw)

All of that was helpful, maybe just not the exact specifics you wanted, although your request vas very vague ...
    Critique : an article or essay criticizing a literary or other work; detailed evaluation; review.
    Reviews are like opinions are like a$$ho!es... everybody has one.
    All thoughts posted here are the opinions of those posting. But opinions are like ...
    Reviews are like opinions are like a$$ho!es... everybody has one.
    Anyway, I won't derail your thread any further.
    Good luck on your quest.
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

Thank you rematt (you're still the bomb) and popdawg.

That's it exactly..... I was frustrated at not knowing what exactly I wanted to ask for. Thought I was asking for the right thing, but wasn't.

I extend a full apology to any one I offended or ticked off.

Now I'm taking my yummy bowl of crow and I'm going to read the thread that rematt suggested.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast