Internet Cowboy
    Exclamation Performics Links Not Working
    I just checked PFX links on my site and several other sites that aren't mine. A click shows the following error:

Bad Request

Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand. Size of a request header field exceeds server limit.

Cookie: cc_click21000000000138124=2vX4zAD4CdwC2...blah blah blah

Apache/1.3.33 Server at clickserve.cc-dt.com Port 80

ABW Ambassador
    I only use one merchant from Performics and their links seem to be working fine on my site.

I think that's a known problem if you click through Performics links from too many different merchants. It should almost never be an issue with consumers, but certainly could be to affiliates.

Let me search the Performics forum... Okay, found a couple threads when searching for "cookie size":
    Here's part of the response from Larry (on 1/9/08) in the second thread:

Quote Originally Posted by l_adams
    We are aware of this problem and have plans to eliminate it entirely later this year. The exact timing isn't available yet because this involves a significant change to make our tracking system more scalable and robust and will require substantial testing and care with deployment.

That said, I can assure you that while this may be happening to you more frequently, this is not a pervasive problem. I regularly run reports to track the number of times this error occurs on any given day. First, it should be noted that it is very likely that the vast majority of these errors are received by affiliates testing their own links. However, even if they were all end consumers, this error is thrown for less than 0.01% of all requests.

I realize this doesn't negate the fact that we have a problem we need to resolve. We will resolve it but because this happens so infrequently and the risk associated with making the change is relatively high, we are going to focus on quality and not speed while resolving this issue.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    My links seem working fine.

ABW Ambassador
    This might have something to do with your problem.

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...hlight=cookies

Michael - We seem to be remembering the same thread.

Internet Cowboy
    Yeah, I vaguely remember that now. This is still something that needs to be fixed. Limiting the number of times a customer can click through to merchants from your network makes no sense to me.
    Thanks folks.

It looks like it sets a cookie for each Performics merchant that they click through. You would have to click through on dozens of merchants before you had a problem. It's not dozens of clicks. It's clicks on dozens of merchants.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread