Affiliate Link On Return From Shipping Calc Allowed?
    Most of our eBay listings contain a shipping calculation button that takes the potential buyer to a page on our website where they can calculate the shipping options and costs to their destination prior to bidding or buying. When the rates are displayed they click a button labeled 'Return to eBay' which takes them back to the listing they were originally viewing. There's a huge potential there for setting a cookie if I add our affiliate ID to the return link. I could find no definitive policy against this technique. Anyone know of any reason I shouldn't do this?

Thanks, Ed

NO, you should not do it because it would be unethical and if eBay catches you doing it they will probably ban you from the affiliate program, and might even suspend your ability to sell items on eBay, as well.

While eBay does allow you to use affiliate code to promote your items at your own website (something they used to not allow), what you are proposing is tantamount to embedding your affiliate code in an eBay listing ... something that is strictly prohibited.

If you do it, you will be over-writing the cookie of the affiliate that originally sent the person shopping at eBay. Or you could be taking credit for a purchase made by somebody who clicked on an eBay PPC link that eBay paid for. In either event, nobody is going to look kindly on you for such a devious attempt to earn a few extra dollars in commissions.

I also sell on eBay, and I have a page on my website that lists all my current auctions. It has the affiliate code embedded. If somebody starts at my site and clicks a link, then goes to eBay, then I am entitled to the commission because my site was responsible for sending the person to eBay.

What you describe does not fit that scenario. If somebody is at eBay, then comes to your site from eBay, and then returns to eBay, you are not responsible for getting the person to eBay in the first place, and therefore, are not entitled to earn a commission from sales generated.

So much for the AH HA(!) moment. [[Conscience kicks in]]
    Glad I asked!

Ed

what you are proposing is tantamount to embedding your affiliate code in an eBay listing
    Well Vendio and Auctiva do it all day long, every day, 365 days a year.

Find an auction with an Auctiva or Vendio gallery in it, click on the external gallery from the listing that opens in a new window, every single link back to eBay is an affiliate link jumping through their site to disguise and track it. So why the hell can't we do it? These companies earn hundreds of thousands of dollars a year doing it I'm sure.

I personally will NOT deliberately promote a listing using either of these companies. Of course I can't control it in general RSS and EK's (they conceal search terms that reveal them in images), but in my deliberate links and auction of the day feeds, you won't see an auction with either of these companies services.

Quote Originally Posted by bobby131313
    Vendio and Auctiva do it all day long... why can't we do it?.
    Now we're having some fun. The angel on one shoulder, the demon on the other...

Quote Originally Posted by Boomers
    the demon on the other...
    Sorry bobby131313, no offense intended...

LOL, certainly none taken.

I am not totally clear on ebay's rules regarding this. I have emailed the pinks about it and received no response. My gut feeling says that you would be risking your account. I personally wouldn't do that, or recommend that anyone else do it either. I definitely agree with Tracy on this one.

I don't like it that auctiva and vendio (and others) do this kind of thing.

I also suspect that there might be different rules for sites like auctiva and vendio than there are for other affiliates. (I specifically say this because of sites like kickitback.com which apparently has ebay's blessing ? Does anyone else have any insights on this?)

When I found out what these sites were doing, I stopped promoting sellers who are using those auction management services. It also means that promoting ebay, for me, got about a dozen times more time consuming. It's not so easy finding sellers in my niches who aren't using auctiva, vendio or comparable 3rd party auction management sites. Which means that I am now working on promoting merchants other than ebay as much as possible. If I could figure out a way to stop promoting ebay all together, I would do it.

Quote Originally Posted by bobby131313

I personally will NOT deliberately promote a listing using either of these companies. Of course I can't control it in general RSS and EK's (they conceal search terms that reveal them in images), but in my deliberate links and auction of the day feeds, you won't see an auction with either of these companies services.
    Bobby- what are "EK's?"

Thanks for the info RE concealed search terms. I had been wondering about this, and had suspected as much, but didn't know for sure. I have been trying and trying to figure out an easy way to filter these items out. So far the best I can come up with is excluding individual sellers who are using the software. It's cumbersome and time consuming, to say the least...

EK's = Editor Kits

Yeah the credits in the listings used to have regular text, now it's all either images, javascript, or flash so you can't do the +-auctiva+-vendio in your EK and RSS strings to weed them out.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread